The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Road angel sat nav

Pig

Ive had a Road Angel (the original black one) for about 3 years and can say its saved my licence a couple of times. The A3 is a classic police lasering area and it has picked em up everytime and I have got away.

Not tried the new one yet, looks quite snazzy, but can deff. recommend the Road Angel Classic, as a very handy bit of kit.

I may be able to source Road Angel II's at about £380, but the price is not guaranteed!

EDIT - Missed the SatNav bit - the price lead me to think you were discussing the RA II (sorry)

I have one and it is the first of its type I have owned. My overall impression is that it is a good unit. Originally I had all options enabled, but this meant it was going off quite a lot for schools and black spots. I now only have it set for speed traps and an over speed warning (bleeps if I exceed 100).

Annoyances are that, whilst it does have a speed sensitivity setting, this only affects the distance at which it starts going off and overall volume. I had hoped that it would be coded with the prevailing speed and would either go quiet or dramatically reduce its intensity once you were below the limit. I personally felt that the alarms settings lacked choices on how to warn certain events. It would be nice to distinguish the warning bleeps between schools and black spots for instance. You can have the voice alert on which will tell you what it is going off for and the display shows different symbols, but the alert noise is the same..

I am not sure how things stand legally if you are flashed when approaching a camera from the wrong way in terms of camera direction. I am sure this happened to a car the other day. The RA II did warn me of the camera when I approached it from the "right direction" but not on the return journey. If I had been that other car I could have passed the camera without waning and been flashed.

Hope this helps,

Chris.

I have an older RA Mk1 that I picked up for £150 as a refurbished unit and I'm well pleased with it.

Considering they use the same map, I think the extra £££'s spent on a few added features is a waste. Why should I want a voice telling me there's a camera nearby when the RA I bleeps plenty loud enough. :)

I do agree on the speed sensitivity too. The only difference is that if you approach a camera going under the posted limit, it goes off a lot later. I suppose it gives you more time to slow down if you're way over though. ;)

One other benefit of the Mk 1 is that the laser detector is detachable. So if they do outlaw detectors in the future then all you have to do is remove the detector (or maybe hide it down near the bumper?). RA II owners will be immediately screwed!

Look out for them on Ebay as a lot of owners have upgraded to RA II so they can boast that they have the latest technology.

I didn't think Gatsos can get you from the front - only things like Truvelos can do that, so RA only warns you when approach a camera that will affect you. RA Compact has just been launched which does everything RAII does, but is smaller and costs less, while RA Navigator is almost out, though it's a bit steep at £599.

Gatsos cant get you front on. A friend, who happens to have RA1, goes through one front on every day. He knows what speed triggers it front on. In two and a half years of setting it off five days a week he has never had a NIP. Persoanly I believe this to totally irrisponsible behaviour and would not condone such action.

My RA1 was an excelent buy. Whatch out on ebay as there are a lot of stolen ones which will be blocked by RA, so pretty useless as the data base cant be updated.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the misfortune to buy one of the navigator jobbies.

1st - Out of the box couldn't sync it to their database - send it back say they it needs some corruption sorting.

2nd - Got it back today ( in a jiffy bag, thanks guys ) sync'd it once and it died.

First and last time I deal with them. :swear: