The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MKIV V8 Conversion Options?

Wez

Hey All,

Over the years we have seen a few MKIV V8 conversions on here but from memory they all use a Toyota V8.

Just wondering why, is it because they are easy to drop straight in with minimal fab work or that people want to keep with the Toyota brand?

What other V8 engines would be good candidates for a MKIV, I guess something light and around 300hp.

Discuss :D

If you want to keep it "in house", look at the 3UR-FSE for pure capacity at 5.7ltr. For power/performance look at the IS-F's engine, the 2UR-GSE.

I think a Supra with a Syvecs + 2UR-GSE and some breathing mods could be a very nice track car.

Going outside of the Toyota family, the only option I'd consider is an LS7. And one of these:

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=90

675bhp @ 6.5lb boost. The noise would be ungodly!

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

I think a Supra with a Syvecs + 2UR-GSE and some breathing mods could be a very nice track car.

Indeed, although I am guessing that wont be a cheap solution.

You can get various american v8 crate engines with varying power outputs from the likes of SummitRacing shipped quite cheaply, albeit not as cheap as the eBay Toyota v8s.

Small block all aluminium Chevy. Very cheap to buy new and tune (relatively speaking), cheap direct bolt on bellhousings for torque capable relatively cheap auto and manual boxes. can be old school carburwetter, coil and disi, or FI. For the adventurous US crate engines with supercharger are available. Tuning a small or big block Chevy is *FAR* cheaper than a Jap V8 with infinite arrays of goodies available mild to wild. If I ever had the desire for another MKIV this is the way I personally would go. 7 litre N/A's are pretty impressive prime movers! They also guzzle fuel of course!

Stellar mileage Jap V8's might seem a cheap V8 fix, but parts are fearsomely dear to refresh or tune them, and they are more from the low emissions school, than the light the tyres with torque school.

Small block all aluminium Chevy. Very cheap to buy new and tune (relatively speaking), cheap direct bolt on bellhousings for torque capable relatively cheap auto and manual boxes. can be old school carburwetter, coil and disi, or FI.

This is what I was thinking, for a stripped out, caged MKIV how much power would you actually need to have fun, I think a 350 to 400hp NA V8 using basic tech would be cheap to run and fix and plenty of fun on track.

I'd budget for a GOOD track (not [spit] DRAG) sump, or even a basic dry sump if you are going to be driving it ;)

I built a really nice all aluminium 7 litre small block some time ago, nowadays it's even easier as small block alloy blocks with raised cam position are available, so you don't need trick (and high wear rate) small base circle cams to clear the rods on the longer stroke cranks. My old Stingray had an iron block big block that gave near 600 BHP, was totally civilised and reliable, and death trap olde worlde "chassis" aside, was quick as hell.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-SL600-Maybach-57-62-V12-5-5-Bi-Turbo-M275-ENGINE-CL600-W221-/281475883347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4189452153

Nice 5.5ltr bi-turbo V12 there. I'm sure something rather tasty could be done with that!!

I'm guessing it'd be too wide to go between the strut towers, like the V12 I bought from an Aston, one night when absolutely hammered! (And a 5.5 V8 S/C engine from an SL55!)