The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend me a first car!

Chris Bailey

I'd look at 1.0 3 cylinder corsa C's.

My girlfriend got one for her first car, paid £800 for it, £900 to insure it and it did 55mpg no matter how you drove it.

Was a great little car.

Then she brought a 1.8 VVTi celica and only paid £700 to insure that.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't buy an expensive car as a first car. Get something like a £1,000 Ford Puma Thunder 1.7, prolly be about £1500-£2,000 to insure like most cars when you start out. Great MPG, superb handling, decent power and lots of toys. Looks modern too.

If you crash it or scrape it it'll cost pennies to fix too, easy to work on so good learning experience in that department too. Use the money you save to buy something better when the first years no claims bonus knocks off £500+

EDIT: I'm sure your family have already told you to buy a cheap car as a first car... There's a reason

I would highly recommend a pug 306 Hdi. I've had a few of them. For some strange reason the insurance is cheaper then a micra. I was paying just under £400 living in Birmingham aged 20. It was running on a stage 2 map, about 160bhp. Cheap to maintain and hit 190k miles in it. I also had the gti6 but the Hdi was more fun as it produced more torque.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/11/3b926771f7443305a972adfb093acde6.jpg

I would go down the cheap car and (as cheap as possible insurance)

It's all about getting your no claims bonus up together for the first two years.

Try Aviva; they're not on comparison sites and count your full license from when you got your provisional.. so if you had a provisional at 17 and you're 21 now that's 4 years of having a full license in their eyes, which would make a hefty difference. Check what impact your parents have to making your insurance cheaper. I have my dad as a named driver, although women can sometimes make that even cheaper too, but watch out as their age counts as a negative at a certain point (no pun intended)

100% this. I hugely oppose the 'black box' scheme, insurers have too much power as it is.

I helped a guy the other day who spun on a roundabout and crashed into a high curb, he had a black box and his insurance rang immediately, werent even bothered if he was OK, just chasing the blackbox message

I helped a guy the other day who spun on a roundabout and crashed into a high curb, he had a black box and his insurance rang immediately, werent even bothered if he was OK, just chasing the blackbox message

££ chasers, the lot of them. Any excuse to avoid paying up

Would you be able to insure a Mk1 1.6 MX5? Would be a fun first car, tons for sale and well within £3k.

May as-well get the 1.8, price difference on insurance is negligible. can get an easy 145BHP out of the post 1994 (most reliable of the lot) 1.8s too

Don't get anything you'll "love". Get something small and underpowered to get you from A to B, safely. You will have an incident of some sort (whether it be curbing wheels, nudging a bollard or something else), so get something you don't care too much about for around 2 years, then get a better one.

As Jay said above, a 1.4Tdi VW is perfect to start.

The most valuable lesson I was taught was "The day you pass your test is the day you learn to drive". There's nobody there to advise you.

Don't get anything you'll "love". Get something small and underpowered to get you from A to B, safely. You will have an incident of some sort (whether it be curbing wheels, nudging a bollard or something else), so get something you don't care too much about for around 2 years, then get a better one.

As Jay said above, a 1.4Tdi VW is perfect to start.

The most valuable lesson I was taught was "The day you pass your test is the day you learn to drive". There's nobody there to advise you.

This is a good idea, Buy a nice polo or fiesta something that is common and you can get bumpers for. You will scratch and dink and dent it.

I had a 1.2 punto ELX which was a 1200 quid car and cost me 1200 to insure.

Sure it was an italian unreliable car with odd paintwork, the floor needed welding just to hold it together in the end.

And you know what I loved it.

Your first car will always be great no matter what because its your first car.

Your bound to go over bumps to quick , scrape it and curb it it's all part of the fun!!

You gotta start somewhere my advice would be. But at the end of the day its up to you, you'll love whatever you get in the end mate.

A few interesting comments :)

The problem I have is my mind is pretty much made up on the civic, purely for the fact I love hondas.

As I've said insurance is only £200 more for the car I want than it is for the normal 1.2 corsa's, clio's that everyone has when they first pass.

But bearing in mind I'll be 21 when i pass my test so insurance companies will "assume" I'm more mature than a 17 year old who has just passed. I'd like to think im mature anyway :D

I'll do some quotes on the cars that have been suggested and see what comes back.