The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got some good news...

Chris Bailey

I'd say thats the hard part over! Its taken me long enough.

Id agree the theory test is a total pita, its apparently worse these days aswell i passed mine nearly 10yrs ago now :shock: damn that makes me feel old :(

well done Chris :thumbs: thoughts on a 1st car yet?

Id agree the theory test is a total pita, its apparently worse these days aswell i passed mine nearly 10yrs ago now :shock: damn that makes me feel old :(

well done Chris :thumbs: thoughts on a 1st car yet?

I have a soft spot for Honda's.

I like the EP2, which is a Type R replica. But its a 1.6 sport. Looking around £2100 for insurance though.

2100 for first insurance on a car you actually like isn't all that bad. Back when I was looking to insure my first car (MR2) it was only £300 more for the year to insure that over a bloody Fiat Punto. Congrats mate, onwards to the practical now! :D

I have a soft spot for Honda's.

I like the EP2, which is a Type R replica. But its a 1.6 sport. Looking around £2100 for insurance though.

Have to admit i like the old Ek9 civics, they can look really good, that shape also comes with smaller engines maybe abit better on the insurance front

2100 for first insurance on a car you actually like isn't all that bad. Back when I was looking to insure my first car (MR2) it was only £300 more for the year to insure that over a bloody Fiat Punto. Congrats mate, onwards to the practical now! :D

Im looking around £1900 to insure a 1.2 clio worth £1000, so for an extra £200-300 to insure the car i want isnt all that bad. And thats not even with my mum or dad on the insurance, which hopefully if they were on the policy as named drivers it may go down a touch more aswell.

Have to admit i like the old Ek9 civics, they can look really good, that shape also comes with smaller engines maybe abit better on the insurance front

I do like the EG and EK, but most of them have the B16A2 engine swap circa 160-180bhp. Think the insurance would be a joke on that. Although the EP2 is a 1.6 its only 110bhp and insurance group 5 I think. So not too bad...

Congrats, I take it you've already been taking lessons? If so have you got a date booked for your practical yet?

I remember when I was looking to buy my first car and some models really surprised me when it came to insuring them. When I was 17 I was living in the US at the time where insurance was cheap and bought a 7 series. When I moved back I was surprised to find that the quotes I got on a 5 series were the same as a Saxo vtr lol. I think it's obvious which one I went for.

Congrats, I take it you've already been taking lessons? If so have you got a date booked for your practical yet?

I remember when I was looking to buy my first car and some models really surprised me when it came to insuring them. When I was 17 I was living in the US at the time where insurance was cheap and bought a 7 series. When I moved back I was surprised to find that the quotes I got on a 5 series were the same as a Saxo vtr lol. I think it's obvious which one I went for.

Did you like the Saxo then?;)

Do you not like the supra or just the cost for insurance putting you off?

Welldone on passing the hardest part though :)

I can imagine the insurance would be expensive, and running a 3ltr N/A on my wages will be difficult. I'd love an N/A don't get me wrong. I'd have to have a look for prices etc.

Well done Chris!

If insurance on hatches and 2 door cars become an issue don't rule out a Impreza Sport, non turbo sport models are pretty cheap to insure for younger people and offer great value for money. A few years ago Carmel had a couple of scrapes in her old gen 6 Celica and when the renewal came in she had lost most of her NCD and couldn't really afford to keep it. The Impreza Sport was less than half the insurance than the Celica for her and proved to be a great car considering it had been to the moon and back several times. By the time she had bolted all the WRX stuff up to it and had it wrapped it looked good, was silly cheap to run and she turned a profit on it over a year later.