The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cost of turbo conversion N/A 5 speed manual to a single TURBO?

Supra2jze

I actually looked into the ITB thing a while ago after a post about my car. The sound is incredible so was instantly interested. Looked into a couple of cars that had, had the work carried out. They all seemed to actually loose power over the standard NA set-up. Instantly put me off.

Going back to the ops first post, NA-t is a dodgy subject and depends on the car in question, from your point of view not even owning one yet, don't go this route imo, more money and less resale, no logic.

Saying that it is the route I have but I feel I have crossed the border of sanity anyway. Never going to get my money back on the car so "better the devil you know" so to speak.

If you want a supra and power on a budget this is what I would do if I did it all over again.

Either keep saving and buy your ideal supra first time round, or if on a tighter budget buy a TT auto enjoy and keep saving. Do all the maintenance parts that get over looked, then when the car is perfect drop a V160 into it. Will cost you around 4k and you would make back a fair chunk of that in resale.

Just for guidance if you chose to go NA-t. You will be looking at spending around 2-4k on the car depending weather you go auto or manual, then 3-5k on the turbo kit depending on the quality of the parts and if you are handy with a spanner. Then if w58 another 4k if you decided to not risk it, not saying your 5 speed wouldnt last it may. (flip a coin). If auto your going to be looking at davids hybrid boxes still going to set you back a chuck.

And at the end the car will be worth a fraction of the price. NA-t only seems the viable route if you own the car already, have spent lots and its perfect other than the power, or just sill an attached. Mixture of all of them in my case.

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

I could go on and on for days about the pros/cons of going NA-T vs TT but there's so many variables (budget, mechanical ability, only car, local trusted mapper, expectations etc) that in my opinion there is no set answer.

I'll also add that if everyone always went for the "sensible option" then why on earth are we driving Supras in the first place!? ;)

I went down the na-t route and if i was doing it again i would have probably done the same. If your like me 400bhp is plenty so the w58 will do me rightly for what i want. Although saying that if you have driven a na-t you will understand how different they are then the gte with stock twins. I love mine and the noise from the external wastegate is pretty epic.

I went down the na-t route and if i was doing it again i would have probably done the same. If your like me 400bhp is plenty so the w58 will do me rightly for what i want. Although saying that if you have driven a na-t you will understand how different they are then the gte with stock twins. I love mine and the noise from the external wastegate is pretty epic.

300-350lb/ft torque is the generally accepted limit of the W58.