The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cost of turbo conversion N/A 5 speed manual to a single TURBO?

Supra2jze

Most will tell you to sell up and buy a turbo supra.

Whiffbitz do a NA-T kit, give them a call for a price if that's the way you want to go.

5 speed box will be ok if you keep the power down, sub 350 bhp

This^

I'm running the Whifbitz kit on the W58 and a lot of it comes down to how mechanically sympathetic you are, the condition of your box and your clutch choice.

I chose a full faced organic clutch instead of a paddle clutch to reduce shock loading during engagement.

Don't be fooled into thinking its as simple as bolting the Whifbitz kit up and away you go, for any decent power/level of reliability there's a whole heap of other stuff to do.

As Jamie alluded to before, most people will put you off going NA-T on a 5 speed for cost reasons.

The cheapest way of getting turbo power will be selling your NA5 and buying a BPU TT auto. It should only cost you circa £2k to end up with a 400hp Supra that way.

The only Supra that is ideal for NA-T is the 6 speed NA IMO, although the DavidP hybrid boxes make it almost viable on an NA auto.

Josh looking back would you have considered it easier/better to drop a whole gte engine in there rather than the kit?

Yes and no.

It would of been easier, however, the power delivery of the single is IMHO far better than with the stock twins.

Plus, if my engine lets go, it's a couple of hundred £££, if a GTE lets go, you best have a couple of spare thousand ££££.

I disagree slightly there Jay, only in the sense that, in my case, where I had a NA 5 speed Aerotop, i couldn't of built my car any other way really.

Although, I should point out that my car's limiting factor is the gearbox and I would love to put a 6speed in

I disagree slightly there Jay, only in the sense that, in my case, where I had a NA 5 speed Aerotop, i couldn't of built my car any other way really.

Although, I should point out that my car's limiting factor is the gearbox and I would love to put a 6speed in

Did you but it as a manual? Because it almost certainly couldn't have started life that way.

That's what I was getting at. The limit on your car is the gearbox, and that will be an expensive hurdle to overcome (circa £4k approx), as it isn't just a case of dropping one out and bolting the other in. If you had to have a manual aerotop turbo, there is no cheap way of doing that for decent power. But then again, a hardtop is a better base for tuning.

Did you but it as a manual? Because it almost certainly couldn't have started life that way.

That's what I was getting at. The limit on your car is the gearbox, and that will be an expensive hurdle to overcome (circa £4k approx), as it isn't just a case of dropping one out and bolting the other in. If you had to have a manual aerotop turbo, there is no cheap way of doing that for decent power. But then again, a hardtop is a better base for tuning.

That's what I was pointing to Jay, in my case, or in anyone's case with an aerotop, it may not be the best option to sell and buy a TT Auto.

No, i brought it as a completely standard NA auto Aero.

I never had the intention of pushing for more power, but hankered after a manual gearbox.

I therefore fitted the w58 conversion before deciding to turbo it.

The w58 isn't made of chocolate, nor does it lose a gear every time you shift like people would make you believe.

There are plenty of people running them behind NA-T's/GTE's without issue.

As I said earlier, all comes down to clutch choice and mechanical sympathy.

When you say the hardtop is a better base for tuning, in what respect? I believe what you mean is they are two different cars completely.

My car was never destined to be a hardcore stripped out track car admittedly due to the loss of chassis rigidity.

However, on a summers day, with the roof down and a turbo whistling, there's no better place to be.

Don't you find that worrying about the gearbox takes some of the joy out of the car though?

And no, it isn't a particularly weak gearbox. But they are only really any good for stock TT power (but given that is another 50% more torque than it's designed for, that is pretty good).

Unfortunately, once you go turbo, the power bug gets you.

The hardtop is a better base for tuning because the shell is significantly stiffer than the aerotop, with less weight at the top. It's not a serious disadvantage if you're driving with the roof in place, but you definitely wouldn't choose an aerotop over a hardtop if you were building a quick street/track car.

If it's a weekend 'toy', that is used for a bit of hooning around, the open top is a nice extra though. :)

If I were building a 5 speed aero, I think I'd probably go with ITBs and cams instead. Although slower than a turbo, the noise would be incredible, especially with the roof off :cool:

The above reasons are why financially I think it's pointless. Unless your car looks as good body wise as Josh and Skippyboyo's then it's not really worth investigating IMO.

I know that might rub people up the wrong way, but even when my car was physically looking at it's best, I still didn't think it was worth it.

Too little end power/too much cost/too much risk, especially when compared to a Bpu TT auto for example.

Fosta's car was another one that looked incredible, and worth the effort.

It sounds harsh, and I hate going with the general consensus of the forum regarding this, but 'personally' I would be devastated if I crapped the engine/gearbox.

The best advice is: Do a load of research, Have a good budget, Expect some things to not go to plan, Do it once and right.

Thanks guys,

I currently don't own a Supra but just was wondering if it was worth doing as I have seen a few N/A 5 speeds knocking about, so was just curious to know the price if I was to go ahead with a turbo conversion.

But I think I will have to wait just a little bit longer :thanks:

We all agree that looking for a UK is a bit of a long shot. But then again I have seen 'Angry_Birds' UK Auto, but would need that converted to Manual as Auto is just not for me.

How much would a transmission conversion roughly be?

Thanks

Thanks guys,

I currently don't own a Supra but just was wondering if it was worth doing as I have seen a few N/A 5 speeds knocking about, so was just curious to know the price if I was to go ahead with a turbo conversion.

But I think I will have to wait just a little bit longer :thanks:

We all agree that looking for a UK is a bit of a long shot. But then again I have seen 'Angry_Birds' UK Auto, but would need that converted to Manual as Auto is just not for me.

How much would a transmission conversion roughly be?

Thanks

Have you driven a BPU Auto Supra? :)

Why you discounting the auto? Id highly recommended a passenger ride before you say no. You may well just be surprised!

Take nothing away Chris, I'm sure they are a pleasure to drive, but having owned a few Autos in the past (Bmw 740i & 750IL e38) I would need something different this time round.

Currently driving an E55 AMG so in all honesty I could do with a manual Supra as a weekender (always wanted one in manual too)

:)

Has that been done on here before?

Yup, this is probably the most famous one:

http://www.stancenation.com/2010/10/27/lrg-soup-itb-toyota-supra/

And this

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/topic/67526-ethans-ridox-itb-build/

and :drool:

*seriously considering buying a cheap NA5 as a project now * :D

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)