The mkiv Supra Owners Club

engine and gearbox removal tips

Bluudy

Hey everyone.

Merry new year!

Im after some tips. I have a na auto. I am wanting to remove both engine (for degreesing and painting) and gearbox so i can swap to manual. is it best to remove as one? Or gearbox seperate. Anything thing thats awkward? Etc.

I have the toyota manual to and i have read it. Just of there was anything else!

Thanks

Bluudy

Guest Budz86

I took the whole lot out in one go on my driveway; TT and 6 speed. I managed to get the car about 60cm in the air on stands, unbolted everything apart from the engine mounts and gearbox brace, supported the lot with a jack under the box and the crane taking the weight of the block, then undid the brace and mounts and slowed pulled the lot out. You need a decent, flat and fairly smooth bit of ground (so when you move the crane it doesn't get stuck!) and be patient with it. Easing the box out while bolted to the engine involved a bit of wiggling and you need to be able to tilt the whole lot on the crane; I actually used a seat belt to lift it all! Chain doesn't work well unless you have a balance bar. I also just disconnected the engine harness inside the car and pulled it our with the block, then disconnected it while on the stand.

I took the whole lot out in one go on my driveway; TT and 6 speed. I managed to get the car about 60cm in the air on stands, unbolted everything apart from the engine mounts and gearbox brace, supported the lot with a jack under the box and the crane taking the weight of the block, then undid the brace and mounts and slowed pulled the lot out. You need a decent, flat and fairly smooth bit of ground (so when you move the crane it doesn't get stuck!) and be patient with it. Easing the box out while bolted to the engine involved a bit of wiggling and you need to be able to tilt the whole lot on the crane; I actually used a seat belt to lift it all! Chain doesn't work well unless you have a balance bar. I also just disconnected the engine harness inside the car and pulled it our with the block, then disconnected it while on the stand.

Will take mine out this weekend as well, have shitty surface for the crane tho... was hoping to do it on my own, but sounds like i may need some help, in case it stuck....