The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speedo reading wrong, need help with the wiring

bayside_supra

Hi people

I had a chance to have a look behind the dash in my new Supra yesterday to try and sort the issue with the speedo reading incorrectly.

The car is an aerotop with a TT6 speed conversion. It has a 180 MPH speedo fitted as the pic below.

Dials3.JPG

The problem is that the speed you are doing is indicated on the orange KPH section rather the the white MPH numbers. So if you are driving at 30MPH the needle will be at 20 MPH, drive at 70 MPH the needle will be just over 40 MPH etc... Hopefully that makes sense?

Here are pics of the wiring behind and the only suspect wire I can see is the green and white one which seems to lead all the way down to the gear stick. The rest all look part of the normal loom. I have no idea how to lacate a speedo converter if there is one but I am hoping these pics might help someone more knowledgable advise me on what to do. I am scared to cut anything and have no speedo at all!

Dials1.JPG

Dials2.JPG

Any help would be really appreciated.

Karl

Where does that other red wire go that is at the bottom Of those pictures looks like it's going the same

Route as the green wire you have pointed out.have a look down the front of where the clocks sit behind the dash panel the converter will be a small black box.it has deffinetley got a converter fitted as some one has cut the blue wire with a red stripe

Thanks for the advice. I will try and have another look tomorrow morning. However the car is going into Whifbitz tomorrow afternoon anyway so I may just get them to sort it out.

I will try and have a look for the red wire and try and find the converter. Is it true that I should not need a converter at all with the 180 MPH Speedo? Or is it not as simple as that?

• 3 weeks later...

Coming back to this, I have had the car back from Whifbitz and the issue is kind of sorted but not completely.

So Whifbitz ordered a new speedo converter to try and get the speedo reading right, with this wired in it made no difference. I then asked if we can try disconnecting the converter, so this was done whilst leaving the delimit wires attached and success! The speedo started reading correct. After a few minutes of driving though my check engine light came on. This came up with fault code 42 which is speed sensor. So this is how my car is now, speedo works great but I have check engine light on!

Whifbitz have said that I have the wrong speedo in my car (U.K. speedo in jap import) and the only cure for this is to get a jap spec speedo. Is there no way of making a U.K. speedo work in a jap spec car without it causing an engine light????

Has anyone had this issue and is another speedo my only option?

Guest RichardRobinson

If you are getting confused with wires, then put all the wires in their places with matching wires, and remove the extra one. Buy a new Speedo matter otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
This has been sorted now, the half fitted converter must have been the problem. Whifbitz removed it and put all the wiring back to standard and seems all good now. Time will tell (only driven home) but it seems t just had an speedo convertor that was not needed before.

If you don't need the speed converter anymore, i'll happily take it off your hands for a few beers.

Mine is reading KMS on a MPH scale as the old converter was removed and not replaced before i bought the car.

Just one of the many little things on my list to sort out....

Cheers,

Ben