The mkiv Supra Owners Club

blowing off intercooler pipes

firin Supra

The only time I had a problem with boost pipes popping off was when I was running rubbish BOV's, the Turbosmart and Tial ones don't seem to be able to open quick enough, mine would pop off if I was short shifting (car running 2.6 bar) changed to HKS Racing BOV and all was good. I even left the Turbosmart one in place and you could hear them opening at different times, was like a twin dump :D

Also agree with the comments on the mikalors, they are rubbish, the pipe won't pop off but they don't clamp evenly and you get big boost drop with them. Murray constant tension clamps are the best.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Thanks jamie and shane but my pipes are not popping of now im getting 1.2 bar boost withought the boost controller switched on its a hks evc 5 were as before i would see .8 bar boost with it off but i thought uk cars are not suppose to do that unless you fit a boost controller!

I got a US spec, same as an UK just with the wheel on the left side. I also run mine without boost controller and on wot I get 1.2 bar. I've been told on here I should be good to go, so I think you are safe with that.

Really! Iv been reading for ages that anything over 1.2 was not safe or good for the turbos and you will blowing in hot air guess not then so is the safe limit 1.4bar on uk turbos then not 1.2? I think i should book in for a dyno session just to make sure all is well and reset the boost controller i guess but who should o take it too the last time it got dynod was at thor about 6years ago

Really! Iv been reading for ages that anything over 1.2 was not safe or good for the turbos and you will blowing in hot air guess not then so is the safe limit 1.4bar on uk turbos then not 1.2? I think i should book in for a dyno session just to make sure all is well and reset the boost controller i guess but who should o take it too the last time it got dynod was at thor about 6years ago

You're correct 1.2bar is a good safe limit.

If you're hitting 1.2bar with the boost controller turned off the wastegate can't be opening fully. I'd start by disconnecting the boost controller pipes and putting them back to stock and see if this reduces the boost pressure, at this time of year with both cats removed you may see up to 1bar.

Hi nic the cars been like it for over 4years now approx they only difference is the rear section was 2.5 inch and that it had a resinator on it now its 3inch and no resinator on it and it nearly straight so why would the wastgate not open fully as the uk cars have a bigger wasgate it should be controlling it however i dont think it went over 1.2 bar so i dont need to use it also my scramble boost is set to 1.3 for 10sec but iv only ever used it a couple of times cos it f$$$$in scary as hell lol but that was only with the old exhaust though if cw is on could you shed some light on this please because the last thing i want to do is blow somthing up thanks for everyone thats already helped though cheers guys

I've never had a problem with intercooler pipes popping off with "3 double decat, and I've had the pipes off and back on when fitting a new intercooler.

Reading the thread, you are right in what you are saying about the UK spec normally needing an ebc to raise boost to 1.2 bar as the larger wastegate releases more pressure than the comparible J-spec one. So I agree with Nic that if the wastegate has developed a fault and isn't releasing pressure the next weakest part that is giving is your intercooler pipes. Could it be stuck in the closed position perhaps?

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

The wastegate is part of the front turbo's turbine housing. It's unlikely the wastegate itself is stuck. More a sticky boost control solenoid, a leaky hose to or from the solenoid, or a combination of this and your bizarre sounding exhaust. I take it has little to no silencing? If that's the case the lack of any real back pressure will exacerbate boost control issues, even on a UK spec engine.

The exhaust actually sound really good its not laud as i expected its actually rather quite compared to the 2.5inch i had on before chris and that had a resinator on it however iv got another issue now and that i cannot adjust the boost controller anymore it comes on i can switch from a and b settings but i cannot adjust boost or adjust certain settings wtf is going on i really cannot make any sence of whats actually happening hear iv been working on the car all day took of the exhaust from the cats had alook in moved the actuator all is well put the exhaust back on and now boost controller not working but i havent touched anything regarding boost controller iv had a look at the actuator and everything is connected i seem to be suddenly having problems all because i put a 3inch exhaust on can someone help regarding the evc 5 or tell me what could have happend