The mkiv Supra Owners Club

blowing off intercooler pipes

firin Supra

Hi iv had a recent problem were the intercooler pipes keep popping off at around stock boost the only thing that been changed is a full 3inch exhaust i cant understand why this is happening. Now i dont want to even accelarate hard just in case they pop off again and also with it being uk its cuts ignition so i loose power steering and everything iv already had a near miss so if any one could help me out to diagnose the problem your help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Have you fit de-cat pipes to the car when you fitted the exhaust?

If you decatted the car, and fitted a full 3" exhaust, you've just increased the boost pressure. Did you also fit a restrictor ring?

It's a UK spec according to the first post.

Stock or aftermarket intercooler? If it's aftermarket are the ends of the IC hard pipes swaged ie. do they have a raised lip near the ends?

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Its been de cat for about 4 years now and the intercooler ends are hard pipes with the lip iv had a 2 half inch exhaust on before no probs but with this exhaust theres no bends its practically nearly straight its also got no resinator on it but i have noticed a huge increase in the way it boosts now its practically instant

Rather than start a new thread, hopefully the OP won't mind me hijacking this one a little. :)

When ordering new silicone hoses, how do you determine what size I.D (internal diameter) to order? Do you simply match it I.D of the hose to the O.D (outer diameter) of the hard pipe it's going on to, of is it better to undersize the I.D of the silicone joiner a little, so that it stretches over the hard pipe?

In my case specifically, this is for fitting a HKS intercooler Hardpipe kit and a Whifbitz SMIC.

Rather than start a new thread, hopefully the OP won't mind me hijacking this one a little. :)

When ordering new silicone hoses, how do you determine what size I.D (internal diameter) to order? Do you simply match it I.D of the hose to the O.D (outer diameter) of the hard pipe it's going on to, of is it better to undersize the I.D of the silicone joiner a little, so that it stretches over the hard pipe?

In my case specifically, this is for fitting a HKS intercooler Hardpipe kit and a Whifbitz SMIC.

I used the Whifbitz Smic silicone pipe kit but ended up only using the top two as the rest were no where near right I measured the pipe internal diameter and ordered the pipes in that size so the fitted snug over the joins etc...

I would 100% use the Murray constant tension clamps over anything else though J http://www.sfsperformance.co.uk/hose_clamps.asp

Right thanks guys i was thinking there maybe too much back pressure but with a full 3inch system i dont think thats the case now so will replace the jubalees for some good ones and see what happens but thanks once again for all your help

The issue would be too little back pressure, as the stock system normally relies on the back pressure from the cats to control boost. Without that restriction it overboosts, hence the need for the restrictor ring.

Take the hose joints apart, clean both mating sections with brake cleaner and allow to dry. Spray both mating sections with really cheap hair spray, fit together immediately. Use normal good quality, narrow Jubilee clips. Problems solved. And yes, I am quite serious :)

Never used cheap hairspray for this application but it is good at putting Handle bar grips on a bike and making sure they dont move !!

Why the narrow jubilee clips ? more pressure over a smaller area ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all iv been out in the car today and happy days no blowing off of pipes but now iv got another problem and that is with the boost controller switched off im seeing very close to 1.2 bar boost in 3rd wot now my cars a uk car this isnt suppose to happen is it? I know it cold outside which makes an effect but surely not that much iv also got alot of responce and what feels like a hell alot of torque from around 2krpm upwards but then then that would happen because its running more boost now also i got a huge back fire coming off throttle that it lit up the motorway and aloud bang i thought ohh shiiit theirs goes my 2j but all is well and i stayed off boost the rest of the way. Can all this happen just by changing exhaust to a 3inch and is anyone else experience the same on their uk car i always thought the uk cars didnt spike in boost or have i got somthing wrong with the car? Just to note my exhaust is a custome exhaust and is pretty much straight no bends. Any advise would be welcome and thanks