The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mid range con-rods. Eagle vs BC

jaw

Hey guys,

have been searching away but not really found any subsistant reviews. I'm looking at rods for the build, and it seems the best value/money comprimise will come from Brian Crower Sportsman or Eagle rods. BC are supposedly good for up to 200 bhp / piston wiht Eagle being good to 800bhp. I'm aiming at 700bhp - probably sitting at around the 600bhp mark for a good while I would have thought.

Any opinions on the above? Carrillo doesnt seem worth the extra $700 to me when I'll be staying at that power level.. The only 'benefit' to either one I've really found in searching is that the eagles appear v light which helps the engine spin up nicely. Not read any bad about either. Will be pairing them with Wiseco pistons and arp rod bolts but am still looking for wrist pins?

Cheers :)

Either will do.

BC sportsman uses the ARP2000 bolt which you might aswel buy just the bolt and use on the standard rods as the bolt will give up before the rod anyway (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The BC Pro rod is the best option if you must upgrade and insist on the either eagle or BC.

As Kaan says, BC Pro rods or just use ARP bolts in the stock rods

I wouldn't fit eagle you may as well just keep stock and as long as you get all the engine internals balanced will still be good for big power

The stock engine will do 700hp anyway, the first weak point is the rod bolts

If you are happy with a Chinese rod Maxspeeding ones have been used in a Supra engine I built, and in several GTR engines, with 9so far...) no issues. Personally I prefer Tomei or Arrow, or Farndon Engineering, if they are still going (things were flaky a while back, but they made cranks for HKS and I have run dozens of their rods and cranks in serious race engines).

A friend runs Maxspeeding cranks in Skyline engines he builds with no dramas.

If you are happy with a Chinese rod Maxspeeding ones have been used in a Supra engine I built, and in several GTR engines, with 9so far...) no issues. Personally I prefer Tomei or Arrow, or Farndon Engineering, if they are still going (things were flaky a while back, but they made cranks for HKS and I have run dozens of their rods and cranks in serious race engines).

A friend runs Maxspeeding cranks in Skyline engines he builds with no dramas.

Interesting Chris, not heard of maxspeeding - are they generally good from a quality point of view? Hard to tell where the myths of Chinese quality ends and reality begins!

I've always ran BC, been great for me.

Cheers - was one of your posts that pointed me in their direction in the first place I think :)

Either will do.

BC sportsman uses the ARP2000 bolt which you might aswel buy just the bolt and use on the standard rods as the bolt will give up before the rod anyway (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The BC Pro rod is the best option if you must upgrade and insist on the either eagle or BC.

As Kaan says, BC Pro rods or just use ARP bolts in the stock rods

I wouldn't fit eagle you may as well just keep stock and as long as you get all the engine internals balanced will still be good for big power

The stock engine will do 700hp anyway, the first weak point is the rod bolts

Not necessarily stuck on those two - just looking for the best option I can find for $850 or thereabouts max (and oem didnt come in so much cheaper at $100 a rod) Engine has a spun bearing so replacing the lot and by the time I get in oem and balance them I'll probably be close to the price anyway I'm thinking..

Have read a few comments that the stock will handle reasonably big bhp, but from a longevity point of view for track work I'm thinking upgrading will just help give a bit of reliability plus like above - if I do decide to go for more power eventually

BC all the way! If you end up wanting more power you'll regret not getting them!

^ this - a bit of future proofing could be good!

I was only suggesting stock if you were keeping yours, if you have to replace them for that reason then I would go with aftermarket

My choice would be BC pro series but if out of your budget the BC sportsman will do just fine.

Interesting Chris, not heard of maxspeeding - are they generally good from a quality point of view? Hard to tell where the myths of Chinese quality ends and reality begins!

Cheers - was one of your posts that pointed me in their direction in the first place I think :)

Not necessarily stuck on those two - just looking for the best option I can find for $850 or thereabouts max (and oem didnt come in so much cheaper at $100 a rod) Engine has a spun bearing so replacing the lot and by the time I get in oem and balance them I'll probably be close to the price anyway I'm thinking..

Have read a few comments that the stock will handle reasonably big bhp, but from a longevity point of view for track work I'm thinking upgrading will just help give a bit of reliability plus like above - if I do decide to go for more power eventually

^ this - a bit of future proofing could be good!