j_jza80

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers guys. :)

I really can't praise Metalmonkey enough, although I did the initial design, they put so much work.in, and kept tweaking it until I was happy. And because I was a return customer they even gave me a discount.

I also bought a replacement speedo face from them, because I'm now going to need one that reads up to 200mph :D

Cheers mate :)

Do you mean the type that goes in the lighter socket?

This isn't for charging, it's the USB in for my headunit. :) it's currently in the din pocket that this cal switch panel is replacing. I've already got the USB bits, for it,which will sit pretty flush :)

Cheers mate :)

Do you mean the type that goes in the lighter socket?

This isn't for charging, it's the USB in for my headunit. :) it's currently in the din pocket that this cal switch panel is replacing. I've already got the USB bits, for it,which will sit pretty flush :)

Ah gotcha! Ignore me then :D

Amazing work nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

So after a short break for Christmas, work resumes :)

So the first thing for me to do was to locate my toucan display on the dash. I wanted it looking as oem as possible, and so in the end I decided to mount it in place of my facelift clock. I modified the dash panels so that it sits snugly in next to the dials, which I think looks pretty good :)

I did consider flush mounting the display in the dash, but the screen is smaller than the hole for the facelift clock, so it wouldn't have worked without fibreglass and paint.

Tomorrow I'll be removing my boost controller, and my glovebox gauges. Then I can get to work on the cal switch panel, and the endless list of little bits i have to do this week. :D

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

While I've been upgrading the interior, one thing I've wanted to address is the gear shifter surround. As stock, it looks like something from a toddlers toy :D

So initially, I fitted a leather gaiter. It looked good, but it never felt quite right, and for anyone else using the car, it was difficult to tell which gear you were shifting to.

So with some careful masking, and some crackle paint, this is what I've come up with

So, I've finally got the cal switch facia assembled. :eek:

To be honest, it was much more difficult than I had anticipated. I had to remove the white backing from the metal monkey facia and replace it with some perspex, as I couldn't get anything to bond to the backing. I just need to pop to toyota to collect the climate temp knobs I've ordered for it, but I'm sure you get the idea now...

Unfortunately, this means that the facia text isn't as visible as it was, so I'll likely wire the illumination to the ignition live, so it is on all the time while driving.

You can also see (just) that I've made a blank for the clock position, which is bonded in. This will be covered by the toucan display when assembled.