The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thoughts on which gauge to use and one to leave out

Andrew K

I had asked the question on my project thread but had no joy! so thought i`d do a separate post and ask again as not sure which gauge to use and which one to leave out.

I'm slowly getting all my gauges fitted where I want them in the car and so they are ready to be connected up, in the pillar pod I have a EGT Gauge and a Boost Gauge, The AEM AFR Gauge is going where the clock is, So that leaves me with 4 Gauges left to mount in the top glove box position which are oil pressure, oil temp, water temp & fuel pressure! The Gauge holder I've purchased only holds 3 Gauges so will be fitting the oil pressure & water temp but which of the next 2 that are left are most important?

Oil Temp

Or

Fuel pressure

Ok don't want to start putting Gauges in my air vents or cutting holes in my dash so 1 Gauge will have to be left out!

What's your thoughts?

Would a lack of fuel pressure not cause the AFR and/or EGT to give odd readings? if I knew what I was doing I'd leave the fuel pressure gauge hidden in the lower glove box so you could always refer to it at cranking or idle or (with a passenger) at wot. Not sure it's high up there as an on the fly gauge?

Must point out I've never had a car with any non standard gauges it's just my point of view from years of reading about others?

Guest Budz86

You running a syvecs Andrew? If so, sell all your gauges, buy a toucan and pocket the difference. But be warned, they are very distracting while driving! Think Jamie had the right idea sticking his last one in the centre console

Thanks for all the replies, yeah I've got a syvecs but I do like to have the gauges there to look at as well :) I've done a fair bit now regarding the gauges and have a gauge pod holder on order from MVP (just a shame it's taken 5 months to come so far!) could have gone with the Toucan but already had all the gauges bought, think I'd struggle to sell them now anyway as there the old style Defi gauges! And they now have newer versions out :rolleyes:

If you are not taking it on regular, hard, track days, I would fit a fuel pressure gauge in preference to oil temperature. But I agree, a Toucan or even better, a GEMS dash is a much neater and better bet. as it is you have to sweep your eyes to either side of the car to read them. A professional race driver would be on strike asked to do that! ;) Although your gauge installation is absolutely first class, Defi stuff, in my opinion, is utter junk. You cannot, it is said, polish a turd ;)

My thoughts, don't have any gauges, just wire the sensors into the Syvecs and have a clutter free dash.

This.

You'll become a hypochondriac with too many gauges. You'll wonder why you're idling at 13.1:1 rather than 13:1 and then convince yourself you're going to die. Or why your EGT's are 7 degrees higher than normal.

With the Syvecs and the fail-safes it has, ignorance in this case, really is bliss.

Guest Roger NE

Tend to agree about having too many gauges being a distraction!

But the one thing I've always been amazed at is the lack of an Oil Pressure gauge on the Mk4 . . . To me that's one of the essentials on a high performance car (along with an engine temperature gauge) - I haven't owned a car for the last 30 years that hasn't had one! (I'm a Mk3 owner, so my 2JZ is hooked up to my stock oil pressure gauge)

This.

You'll become a hypochondriac with too many gauges. You'll wonder why you're idling at 13.1:1 rather than 13:1 and then convince yourself you're going to die. Or why your EGT's are 7 degrees higher than normal.

With the Syvecs and the fail-safes it has, ignorance in this case, really is bliss.

If you are not taking it on regular, hard, track days, I would fit a fuel pressure gauge in preference to oil temperature. But I agree, a Toucan or even better, a GEMS dash is a much neater and better bet. as it is you have to sweep your eyes to either side of the car to read them. A professional race driver would be on strike asked to do that! ;) Although your gauge installation is absolutely first class, Defi stuff, in my opinion, is utter junk. You cannot, it is said, polish a turd ;)

I Know what your both saying and completely understand, suppose you learn the hard way when your doing these things for the first time :rolleyes: I've had these gauges for a while now and think I'd lose a fare bit of money if I tried to sell them :( plus have a feeling I'd have trouble selling as there the old style gauge now, I know as I've learnt and read that these gauges aren't to everyone's liking but think I might as well stick with them now. I won't be doing any hard track days lol but on the odd occasion I'd like to take it on track just for a little bit of fun and the experience :)

Or you'll be that busy looking at all the needles you run up the arse of a bus...

I'm hoping with the power levels I might be getting, what ever that may be :eyebrows: I won't have time to take my eyes off the road anyway let alone look at the gauges and let them distract me to much.

Tend to agree about having too many gauges being a distraction!

But the one thing I've always been amazed at is the lack of an Oil Pressure gauge on the Mk4 . . . To me that's one of the essentials on a high performance car (along with an engine temperature gauge) - I haven't owned a car for the last 30 years that hasn't had one! (I'm a Mk3 owner, so my 2JZ is hooked up to my stock oil pressure gauge)

Not to worry those are the other gauges I'll be putting in, an oil pressure gauge and a ETG gauge :)

There's a lot to be said for analogue gauges *AND* using the Syvecs to post a bright light(s) if something goes outside the norm. Then you can concentrate on driving unless the situation allows you to scan the dials, but in extremis you then have a warning light(s). In dire extremis the Syvecs should be able to put you in "limp home" mode to allow deliberation of the situation at your leisure. That said, an awesome quality build, really nicely done Andrew! REALLY nice!

Guest Roger NE

Even though you may be going a bit OTT, overall you're probably better having the gauges than not - at least you can check things!

The trouble with most modern cars that only have waring lights is that they only tell you when you HAVE overheated, or you've lost oil pressure . . . so you can't stop when you see the temperature start to go up, or that your oil pressure is a bit low in certain situations.