The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single turbo sizing advice

Mk4Gaz

Hi guys, I'm thinking about slowly building the parts needed for going single. This isn't set in stone yet, but inevitably, my twins will probably need replacing eventually, so my logic is considering future proofing myself, whilst being ready to upgrade at such time :D

I've been offered a garrett gt4082 journal bearing, t4 footprint turbo. Now, I'm not totally clued up on singles with supras yet, so getting the right advice for a low rpm fast spooling turbo is what I'm after.

I'm not thinking of going for crazy power, maybe a bit more than a bpu setup. My main requirements would be as least lag as possible, for a fast street car.

Would the above turbo be suitable, or should I be looking elsewhere?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Old turbo, so spool will be slow. Unnecessarily big too, if I was to do a single build I'd be using a small turbo among the lines of a garrett gt35x or precision 6262. Both will produce good power and great spool.

Personally I wouldn't go any bigger than a 67mm turbo for a street setup.

Old turbo, so spool will be slow. Unnecessarily big too, if I was to do a single build I'd be using a small turbo among the lines of a garrett gt35x or precision 6262. Both will produce good power and great spool.

Personally I wouldn't go any bigger than a 67mm turbo for a street setup.

^this. Precision has a line of smaller turbos you could look into. IMHO spool shouldn't be your ultimate goal, the way you will use the car and the ability to leave yourself room for future upgrades.

BL turbo's are very cheap compared to Precision.

Comparing my old BL366 vs the CEA 6766 turbo, the Precision unit outspools the BL unit ; and it makes more power and tq.

A CEA 6262 turbo would my choice for 600-700 bhp.

Does it still out spool/out power the BL unit on pump gas though?

Guest 2JZ_S13

GT35 is a decent size for good spool and wide power band

Personally I was going to run a Holset HX40W on mine with a custom 14cm2 v band exhaust housing, would of provided good spool and a decent powerband (for drifting)

Holsets are pennies compared to Garrett's and still do the job so shouldn't be over looked if your on a budget :)

My Whifbitz T4 twinscroll manifold is for sale also if your interested

£600 or £850 with 2 turbosmart 40mm wastegates

Does it still out spool/out power the BL unit on pump gas though?

Power wise, I don't know mate.

My old BL366 was mapped on AME hub dyno on UK Shell V-Power Nitro, which has around 9 % ethanol iirc. It pushed 747 rhhp then.

The CEA 6766 was mapped (on Abbey hub dyno) on crappy Luxembourg Shell V-Power (0.8% ethanol only). It pushed 760 rhhp before Ryan started to get detonation due to the very poor ethanol content.

We then added 50% ethanol, and power went up to 840 rhhp. I think we would have reached that figure with 20% ethanol too ; the turbo was simply maxed out at 840 at the hubs, which is around 900 bhp. That's in line with the power indication Precision gives for the CEA 6766 1.00 AR.

Guest Budz86

For the money, yes. But depends on your budget. Precision are pricey but very accurate with their numbers and tend to outperform similar turbos from other companies

The kit shown wouldn't be my choice. It's a undivided exhaust system. With a divided exhaust housing and properly made manifold you will gain another 500 rpm of low end spool.

Better watch out for a twin scroll kit.

My favorite now is a billet converted S366, made by The Turbo Engineers.

Base is a BWS366, but equipped with a 1.00 A/R T4 divided exhaust housing. TTE modifies the turbine wheel as well as they put in a billet 71 mm compressor wheel. The compressor housing totally was modified on their NC mill.

The result is a 71 mm billet turbo with 1000 hp flow capacity that spools amazingly and makes 1 bar @ 3450 rpm only.

On my heavily upgraded engine with 2 mm oversized valve seats and portet inlets it easily pulls 2 bar of boost up to 8500 rpm with a back pressure to boost rate of only 1.15:1

Makes the same torque @ 1.5 bar like a BL S366 @ 1.8 will do.

The S366 w. 1.00 A/R T4 is available at Full-Race US. 71 mm conversion is approx. 700 GBP. Incerdible power and spool for an affordable turbo.

Second pic shows the BL S366 wheel in comparison to the built in 71 mm billet wheel.

IMAG0923.jpg

IMAG0924.jpg

Edited by j.oe (see edit history)

My favorite now is a billet converted S366, made by The Turbo Engineers.

Base is a BWS366, but equipped with a 1.00 A/R T4 divided exhaust housing. TTE modifies the turbine wheel as well as they put in a billet 71 mm compressor wheel. The compressor housing totally was modified on their NC mill.

The result is a 71 mm billet turbo with 1000 hp flow capacity that spools amazingly and makes 1 bar @ 3450 rpm only.

On my heavily upgraded engine with 2 mm oversized valve seats and portet inlets it easily pulls 2 bar of boost up to 8500 rpm with a back pressure to boost rate of only 1.15:1

Makes the same torque @ 1.5 bar like a BL S366 @ 1.8 will do.

The S366 w. 1.00 A/R T4 is available at Full-Race US. 71 mm conversion is approx. 700 GBP. Incerdible power and spool for an affordable turbo.

Second pic shows the BL S366 wheel in comparison to the built in 71 mm billet wheel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]188281[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]188282[/ATTACH]

Nice mate. Do you have a dyno sheet?

Talk to SRD, he has a great contact for turbo kits now, I just got a lovely VWR twin wastegate kit from him at a great price. 6262 precision turbo, coated manifold, 4" DP and MP. stunning kit.

Snap, Lee is very good with prices and saving on discounts ;).

Thanks for all the advice so far guys!

Maybe someone could help me with manifold choice though?

What's the difference between say a treadstone cast mani, or the more popular 'ram horn' stainless type jobbies?

I know the obvious answers, but is there a reason that I don't see many of the cast manifolds being used in single builds? Apart from being a side mount turbo setup, rather than top mount - I'd assume the cast manifolds would be stronger, and give quicker spool up times due to shorter runners?

A cast manifold will be faster spooling, but you will have heat issues when you wind up the boost too much.

Tubular manifolds allow much higher boost levels and more ignition timing.

Usually, pump gas will give you much less power on a cast manifold vs a tubular one. You can use a cast manif in combination with ethanol though; this allows you to raise the boost without risking the engine.