The mkiv Supra Owners Club

42" Plasma TV's for sale

MaveriK

Col, I see what you're saying but you shouldnt take things to heart, how was I to know what you had just bought etc - dont get all butthurt on me. Its just the fact that main reason these things are cheap in the first place is being they're being made redundant, like when Dell offer cheap printers for £10 each, its cos they want rid of them!

HDTV's werent exactly a massive price jump in the US and already panel TV sets like plasmas and LCD's etc are much more affordable, even when they first arrived on the scene. Unlike the UK where they jackup the price to ridiculous levels so to conn muppets buy the latest, just like car registrations.

I also dont agree that its irrelevant.. it just shows hows people here are continulously paying way over the odds for your technology in this country.

BTW did you even know about HDTV before I posted this?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, I am not taking things to heart or personally, just pointing out that your statement that all non HDTV's are worthless is a load of bollocks.

I said that your comment regarding the price of USA HDTV's was irrelevant because you tried using that to show why mine was overpriced. That argumnet was irrlevant. Whereas you have now changed tack to say that it was to show how we pay too much in this country. That is true, but has nothing to do with the pricing of the same set in the UK against a non HDTV plasma.

As for whether I had heard of HDTV - please don't be so patronising. I was a member of many AV forum's long before I became a member of the Supra boards. In fact, had you been a member too, you would have known that Sony didn't produce the "guts" of any of their plama screens and, as others have pointed out, mainly bought from Samsung etc.

At the end of the day, I had the option of buying the HDTV version (and waiting for the broadcasts to begin) at around £3k or more for a Panasonic, waiting for the HDTV to drop in value to a more realistic price, or get this one on offer. I chose to buy mine now as it offered great VFM now.

Sigh, I only asked because you didnt sound like you knew what I was talking about. Again it makes me wonder when you ask if 'Joe Public' would be able to tell the difference?! Seriously if you've seen HDTV you would easily see.

I dont care what you paid for yours or why you chose it, I dont care what TV you bought, its just that the apprent bargain that appeared in this thread wasnt that great, considering the price you're STILL paying here for OLD technology. Did I ever mention you in any of my posts.. no. You just sound like you're on the defensive for no reason. Im sure your TV is great but thats beside the point for this topic.

Wow! Why get all testy over a tv? It's like if I buy a cell phone that I got a good price for, but it's not a razr, and someone says "oh well any other phone than a razr is shit", would I get offended? No, because I knew the razr was out there but didn't want to spend $300 for it. (ok maybe not the best analogy)

Stupid technology always gets cheaper with time...Look at all the Flat panel LCDs on the market, here in the US (NY) I saw a 19inch LCD for about $250-350! That's nothing compared to what it was a year ago. With TVs I find that Sony has an amazing bright picture, Samsungs are great as well, RCA isn't so bad...I mean it's all on the individual tv. You buy whatever one you love the quality of and the price that you can afford. I would wait to get an HDTV myself, since here in the US alot of major tv stations (HBO, Fox, ESPN) are broadcasting in HD. I work for a computer graphics company that deals with these customers all the time so I know HD will be a big thing...it's already big. I can't say for the UK, since I don't know. A good thing to do is to get a TV that is HDTV compatible..that way you can watch SD signal, but get an HD coverter box when more programming becomes available in HD, which is what my dad did. the HD quality is far superior than SD, you can tell if you saw it side by side, no matter what brand of TV.

A good thing to do is to get a TV that is HDTV compatible..that way you can watch SD signal, but get an HD coverter box when more programming becomes available in HD, which is what my dad did. the HD quality is far superior than SD, you can tell if you saw it side by side, no matter what brand of TV.

This is true, but you're still going to miss out on the higher quality pictures.

Running 1024 high res on a pc monitor than cant go any further than 640, its kinda wasted. :)

I would very much doubt if Samsung supplied Sony of all people their technology. I would believe it if it were the other way around like has happened in the past.

Doubt all you like Mr I Know Everything Esq, I'll just sit back and watch you make yourself look even dafter.

Who are Aria? Heck Im sure you could find a Bush set too for cheap/good money. I wonder how long they last tho. :conf:

Sorry Mr Expert, I'll keep quiet in future, once you reply to a thread I'll presume your input is gospel and keep out of it as there is obviously nothing more anyone can add on the subject.

Just out of interest what TV do you have then Bobbeh? Which one should us mortal types aspire to?

Reading this has made me realise how dangerous my 'Club Supra' idea would be :)

If you are after a large plasma / LCD with decent features, decent in-buit stereo / speakers and enough connections for DVD / game-box / Sky / Video recorders etc, £1000 ish sets will obviously be a compromise between all the above...if, however you just want a panel (viewing monitor) with a good picture and you already have or can afford the surround-sound kit etc, £1000 will get you a good buy...however, at this price for a 42" panel, you will notice a few 'quirks' when compared with a top-end set such as lower contrast, picture-smearing and gradiation lines...this is even without getting into the HDTV issue....as to that, Sky will start bcasting some channels in 06, but others like BBC cant even promise HDTV by 2010....it wont affect 'normal' TVs tho even when HDTV starts beaming in. There IS a big picture diff between HDTV and 'normal', and whatever the arguments, in a year or so HDTVs / HD DVDs / HD DVD recorders will be the norm.....I for one put as much money as poss into a decent HDTV-ready panel (no speakers etc) and went for last-years / sale surround sound and DVD player as I can up-grade these as and when I can afford it easier than the TV itself

Directed as disgruntled MR2boy:

WTF!? What the hell is wrong with you people today.

FFS Im not claming to be an expert, you tool. I said I doubt, should have been 'would have been suprised' as Sony are usually the ones developing and reselling their technology.

I already said what I own, (for the blind) a WEGA TV which is out of date and worthless thanks to Plamsa TV generation... I can see the same thing happening with the current generation of plasma sets thats all.

This is true, but you're still going to miss out on the higher quality pictures.

Running 1024 high res on a pc monitor than cant go any further than 640, its kinda wasted. :)

I think you mean having a good video card that can do like a 1600 x 1200 red but only having a monitor that can do 1024 x 768, right?

Not really the same thing. The HD tuner can be in the built into the tv or not. Most TVs now that *are* HDTV are just built in HD. But the HD compatible TVs just need the HD Tuner afterwards..and of course you'd need actual HD signal.

(I think I'm right, maybe not) :D

I think you mean having a good video card that can do like a 1600 x 1200 red but only having a monitor that can do 1024 x 768, right?

The screen itself differs as well as the signal its broadcast in, as HDTV comes in two resolutions.

So im saying its like you owning a monitor that has a max res of 1024 for example, then trying to watch a picture thats being broadacst in 1600, you wont see the benefit to the same extent.

The screen itself differs as well as the signal its broadcast in, as HDTV comes in two resolutions.

So im saying its like you owning a monitor that has a max res of 1024 for example, then trying to watch a picture thats being broadacst in 1600, you wont see the benefit to the same extent.

Yea, just what I said :blink: :D

Directed as disgruntled MR2boy:

Ouch, it cuts so deep... like a dagger straight into my heart :cry:

FFS Im not claming to be an expert, you tool.

Excellent work, name-calling so soon - this is going to be a good one.

I'll go back to my 14" portable and Betamax video and leave you to it for a bit.

Michael I really dont see why you have to try and jump on the bandwagon.

I began by adding my input into the thread - you promptly attempted to belittle me with a trademark holier than thou response. I've as much right to be here as anyone with information to share.

You're trying to create arguments over points Im not trying to discuss.

*sigh*

you promptly attempted to belittle me with a trademark holier than thou response. I've as much right to be here as anyone with information to share.

I already said above I worded that wrongly. I wasnt calling bs on what you said... to me its sounded like Kia selling engines to Toyota... see what I mean?

I also wasnt bashing you for mentioning that cheaper brand, Ive just not heard of them. Hardly makes me an expert huh.

I'm in the market for a large screen TV too, but there are so many choices.

Do you go for a Plasma, LCD OR a DLP rear projection.

Not sure exactly when HDTV is going to be broadcasted across all channels but I do agree that the quality of HDTV is amazing.

so many cheapo Plasma TV offerings out there, however if the quality is crap then its not worth it. If the quality if good then I'd go for it, regardless of HDTV ready or not.

Not sure exactly when HDTV is going to be broadcasted across all channels but I do agree that the quality of HDTV is amazing.

so many cheapo Plasma TV offerings out there, however if the quality is crap then its not worth it. If the quality if good then I'd go for it, regardless of HDTV ready or not.

Yeah, all im saying is if I was willing to spend upward of £1k on a new Plasma TV I would wait for the influx of HD sets that will be coming and the market prices will fall so much, the apprent bargain you have initially got wont be all that in 6 months - a years time.

Seriously.. the market in the US and even parts of Europe has changed a lot, and there are hardly any 'normal' TV's about especially in the states, everything is flat panel and dirt cheap.

I dont want all the love i am feeling in this post to detract from my selling these "QUALITY" screens. Hope to have a model number texted to me sooner rather than later so i'll post it up and PM all those who have asked.

Imi, its simple, BUY MINE!!!!!!!

And you can all be safe in the knowledge that the small profit i make i promise to spend on the soop!! :thumbs:

Im not saying my wife is thick, but she recently sat through an entire episode of Columbo playing from a DVD, but the sound source was coming through Sky (Lost on C4)....put four remotes in front of the old dear and she needs a re-boot........I was going to add that she loves Columbo coz she likes trying to guess who done it, but thats too cruel

the apprent bargain you have initially got wont be all that in 6 months - a years time.

Did you really have that going through your mind when you bought your last TV, hmmmm wonder how the 2nd hand value will hold up in 12 months time!

Sorry but if it's a good buy right now then I couldn't really give a monkeys what it'll be worth in 6 months to a years time.

The last thing you do when buying any gadget, be it a TV, Computer or whatever is to try and do a price comparison a few months down the line, you'd end up never buying another thing :rolleyes:

Did you really have that going through your mind when you bought your last TV, hmmmm wonder how the 2nd hand value will hold up in 12 months time!

Of course not, but when you get something as drastic to TV broadcasting as HDTV I would wait.

I think you missed parts of what I posted too, the actual TYPE of TVs that are coming are virtually all flat screen, no CRT types or old school widescreens, so when you look back at your limited choice and higher prices now, it will make sense.

I dont care what you buy or what you pay for it, thats your choice, I'd just wait, knowing what is just around the corner.