The mkiv Supra Owners Club

42" Plasma TV's for sale

MaveriK

Greetings one and all,

I have the option of a few brand new 42" Sony or Samsung plasma TV's dont have the model numbers to hand but will get hold of them later. And i couldnt think of people who deserved them more at much cheapness than you lot.

Thinking i will roll them out at around £1100 each which is obviously quite a sum but alot cheaper than you will pick them up for in the shops. And they are definetly not nicked before anyones asks.

Anybody interested??

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HDTV = super high res quality screen/format that is currently the thing to have, much better quality than DVD and is being broadcast in Digital, basically if the plasmas arnt HDTV compatible they're not worth shite as all new decent TV will be in this format.

Having said that, 1100£ for a 42" plasma is pretty good value, if its a Sony especially :) I guess it depends if you're really into your TV etc :)

The whole idea about HDTV is so that people in the US who are used to their massive projection screens etc can now have a huge TV that actually has a decent picture too.

Are they HDTV? If not they're worthless.

Thats quite a scathing statement Bob. Does that mean that every other plasma screen being sold out there that isnt HDTV compatable is worthless too? Can you tel me when the HDTV signal will be available nationwide and what benefits / advantages are there to this sytem over the existing system?

Well, its like people spending a lot of money on something thats not gonna support the new technology, like getting a good qiality 4:3 TV when the cable companies are gonna start broadcasting 16:9, whats the point.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk

HDTV is already popular in Europe and the US, its just us that are slow to catch up, as usual.

And whats the difference in cost for a HDTV cpmptable set compared to a worthless normal plasma? And how many of the "joe public" in the world would see the difference?

By the way, your comment that the offer is good value due to it being a Sony is way off the mark. Panasonic are leagues ahead of Sony whe it comes to plasma. In fact, most Sony plasma screens get slated in the reviews.

My comment at it being a sony and a decent price is usually because Sonys are super expensive, Im not talking about the quality of the set.

The use would notice a difference in picture quality, you can try it yourself by trying online demos. Both the new PS3 and X-box are also HDTV compatible..

..... I sense a little frustration in your notes there Col, dont tell me you've just paid out on a whacking great Plasma TV after listening to tghe guy at Dixons or sommat :D

You must have misread my comment about Plasmas still being decent TVs, look at it this way, its like buying a 92 MKIII when you know the MKIV is coming out :)

No frustration Bob just amazement at your first comment that all non HDTV's are worthless - thats bollocks.

I have recently bought a 42" Panasonic plasma for a lot less than this offer and am delighted with the quality - and no, it isnt HDTV comptable but there again, I would not be able to tell you what the difference is as HDTV is not being broadcast in this country yet.

And to copy your analogy, you think the MKIV would be worthless then if the MKV was out tomorrow?

Non-HDTV aren't worthless - yet. But we don't have HDTV yet...

Sky are due to start HDTV broadcasts next year. Lets reserve the quality debates until then (and all the peeps without HDTV sets suddenly realise what they're missing ;) )

Sorry Col, just so you dont feel bad, your TV isnt worthless, you've just paid way over the top for old technology. It just reminds me of the TV buying days a few years back when we got ours, our Widcreen WEGA thingy, that technology is not exactly worth anything these days. Of course the picture is good etc, but the reason why you spend so much on the TV is to get an awesome picture.. HDTV is amazing stuff.

BTW You can buy 50+ inch widescreen TV's for under $2k in the US already. (£1100) How much was your Plasma?

HDTV aren't worthless - yet. We don't have HDTV yet...

Sky are due to start HDTV broadcasts next year. Lets reserve the quality debates until then (and all the peeps without HDTV sets suddenly realise what they're missing ;) )

Err Im not talking about HDTV being worthless.. more so it being great!

I've already seen the difference and you can see it yourself if you download online demos.

Its double the resolution and better sound etc all in the broadbast. Great for sports in particular. Just pop down to Harrods and you can see examples yourself.

I can see why you say it worth less as the big screen needs more pixels to get the same res as a smaller set. Like blowing up a digital picture the quility suffers.

As for the actual quility an HDTV gives you if your ever near a John Lewis store have a look in there TV dept.

Went into the one in Watford they had an HDTV next to a normal tv with the same picture both were 42in screen. You could really see the difference but it one of those things, where if you don't have it you wont think your missing anything.

Having said that, 1100£ for a 42" plasma is pretty good value, if its a Sony especially :) I guess it depends if you're really into your TV etc :)

Funny you should say that because don't Samsung make most of the Sony screens anyway? They just bung a silver chunk of plastic on the front and charge £500 more.

£1100 could be a bargain, could be starting price and leave you needing all kinds of extras to be able to see the picture or hear any sound, tread carefully and think back to Max and Paddy ;)

Aria have been selling a highly regarded 42" unit for a few weeks now, £799 plus VAT, comes with 2 tuners, picture in picture, TV aerial Input, 2 x Scart AV inputs, 2x Component Video inputs (with 2 RCA Audio inputs), S-Video input (with RCA Audio input), AV (composite) input (with RCA audio input),

Analogue VGA input, Audio out (RCA) and more....

http://www.aria.co.uk/specials.asp

It's amazing how many of these things just come with a load of empty slots and an order form that lets you spend another £1000 just so you can use it.

Personally I'm being cautious, I've yet to see any Plasma that is up to the standard of my traditional tube based TV, until I do I'm not buying one.

Just sit closer, it's cheaper than buying a bigger TV :shrug:

I would very much doubt if Samsung supplied Sony of all people their technology. I would believe it if it were the other way around like has happened in the past.

Who are Aria? Heck Im sure you could find a Bush set too for cheap/good money. I wonder how long they last tho. :conf:

Been thinking of a plasma myself, but as said here, HDTV is definitely the way to go. I won't be splashing out on one until I ifnd the right HDTV one.

Give it 18 months and non-HDTV will be seriously cheap. The difference is amazing when you see one of these sets. Colour, definition, everything about it is far superior. Hitachi do a nice one, 42PD7200 I think is the one I have been looking at. Another nice touch with this one is the rotary stand it sits on. You can rotate the TV via the remote as it's motorised! Well cool gadget!

And it's about £2000, so not TOO expensive.

:)

I would very much doubt if Samsung supplied Sony of all people their technology. I would believe it if it were the other way around like has happened in the past.

Who are Aria? Heck Im sure you could find a Bush set too for cheap/good money. I wonder how long they last tho. :conf:

Samsung panels *have* been used in Sony LCD TVs in the past. Samsung is one of the largest makers of LCDs and they find their way into a lot of difference manufacturers sets. In fact they've just finished a new factory together:

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/3952/050419sonylcd/

I recently bought a Samsung LCD TV and have been downloading hi-def movies off Usenet. The quality is astounding (about 4 times the resolution of DVD). People will definitely notice the difference when Sky starts its HD service next year.

Having said that, I don't agree that SD plasmas are worthless. They can still have a fantastic picture if set up properly and I suspect the majority of people are still going to be connecting with SCART leads and ropey supermarket DVD players for a good few years yet :)

Sorry Col, just so you dont feel bad, your TV isnt worthless, you've just paid way over the top for old technology.

Not only are you the master of all knowledge, you now know how much I paid. Impressive!

BTW You can buy 50+ inch widescreen TV's for under $2k in the US already. (£1100) How much was your Plasma?

Unfortunately Bobbeh, neither you nor I live in the USA so that comparison is really irrelevant. However, I would be interested to see what the cost would be to buy that set in the UK. I paid less than £1k for my shitty old technology 42" plasma.

My point is that had I bought my plasma at the retail price it was selling for 6 months ago (over 3k) then I would agree with you. But, by buying my set for under £1k I feel I have had a bargain set that gives me a quality that is far beter than the norm and allows me to wait for the cost of the HDTV to drop considerably ove the next 2-3 years.