The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch recommendations

Sukhy

I think it's time to change my clutch and would like some recommendations please.

I'm not too fussed about how hard it bites, ideally want no rattle from it but want it to handle around 800bhp. I've heard some stories about the SPEC and Competition clutches to say that do not perform well but also heard the opposite. I was thinking maybe going for the RPS triple plate carbon clutch as I understand it comes with its own flywheel.

Car is a 94 TT6 (full BPU at the moment)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input guys. I will look into the SPEC clutches but at the moment I'm leaning towards the RPS.

Anyone used Future motorsports to buy parts? I've noticed here that they sell the RPS triple plate clutch at a very good price assuming its including VAT: -

http://www.futuremotorsports.com/RPS-Carbon-Carbon-Triple-Disc-Clutch-Kit-Toyota-Supra-Turbo.html

I will have a word with Paul in a couple of weeks and see what he suggests.

where does the exeedy twin plate sit in this poll, at nearly 2k is it an option?

I don't see why not. The RPS retails at around £2700.

Paul, I have checked your website and the SPEC stage 3+ does look like a very good clutch rated at around 855lb/ft torque.

This will allow for future proofing also. I will be in touch soon.

Edited by Sukhy (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Update for you guys.

I called Paul this morning and ordered the RPS Carbon Carbon twin plate clutch as I feel this best fits my future plans for the car: - http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/index.php/toyota/supra/clutches-flywheels/rps-636.html

Slight downside is that there is a 3 - 4 week wait as its coming from the states (Paul mentioned this before ordering) but I was OK with this.

Once fitted I will give feedback on the way it performs and how it adjusted the drive-ability of the car.

• 1 month later...

Paul has been in touch to say they are still making the RPS twin plate and will be another 2 - 3 weeks until it arrives. He did mention the Carbonetic twin plate as an alternative with it arriving around the same time and Paul does recommend it. I just don't know how they are to drive with and if they are noisy.

Unsure if I should hold out for the RPS or change to something else.

Wanting something to handle past 800hp is just to future proof the car because initially I will aim to go for around 6 - 700hp, see how the car performs and then fine tune it from there until I'm happy with the power delivery and drive-ability.

RPS twin should able to deal with the power and with this derived version of the previous twin plate, hopefully it's not too juddery to drive with.

Edited by Sukhy (see edit history)

Guest Nicholas

Tilton carbon clutch tripple plate or quad if you can run to it, also get the Tilton master clutch cylinder.

I'm now considering changing to the Carbonetic twin plate going by Pauls experience.

It pretty much does what the RPS one does but drives much better apparently.

The Tilton clutch is too much of an overkill for what I need.

Went to an Evo meet/gathering today and found out that my mate is running a Carbonetic carbon twin plate clutch in his Evo.

Decided to take a seat in it and pressed/depressed the clutch and TBH, its pretty good. Not too heavy at all.

This has swayed me more towards the Carbonetic twin plate clutch now.

RPS. Great choice. My triple plate is flawless.. Except getting into reverse can be a pain sometimes lol

Paul has certainly given you a good one :)

Thanks for the info mate but I think I'll be going with the Carbonetic clutch now.

OK an update guys.

Paul has been in touch to say that he has had a response from Japan and the Carbonetic twin plate clutch is now £2347.99 inc VAT which is around £113 more than the RPS twin.

This is for the new 'silent' clutch from Carbonetic and should be here around 20th May. Will give you guys some more info once it is installed.