The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R154 and 2JZ questions?

JamieP

R154 does 600hp on US forums all day long. Can't see why people don't justify that so much.

People use stock box for 500 often. A lot of people on here have used a stock box for 500 without changing anything.

If your going to re-build it, might as well get all the marlin crawler parts.

As a comparison the jump from a built R154 to an v160 might look the same, but if one breaks to replace it, or clutch replacement, R154 would be the same EVEN if you have the box upgraded.

Need to get a chaser cross member as well. It's not a direct fit

V160 mate future proofed for the 600hp and better to drive on motorways etc with the extra gear

This. And it will help with the re - sale value down the line

It's always best to buy the car you want than to convert, this car came up cheap though and is mint, I don't mind spending a few $ to get it how I want, I am going to do the R154 box and TT lump by the look of it, will still work out a cheap car, a mint facelift TT6 is ITRO £12,000 I'd guess, my car cost £3000, add to that £3000 for a TT conversion and a grand for the box all done, still a cheap clean car for me.

Resale is not really a consideration at the moment, no plans to sell it.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Would you EVER get your money back on resale?

I was talking about the comparison of % loss on resale against installing an R154 or v160. Just stating the cheaper box is the less of the two evils.

It's always best to buy the car you want than to convert, this car came up cheap though and is mint, I don't mind spending a few $ to get it how I want, I am going to do the R154 box and TT lump by the look of it, will still work out a cheap car, a mint facelift TT6 is ITRO £12,000 I'd guess, my car cost £3000, add to that £3000 for a TT conversion and a grand for the box all done, still a cheap clean car for me.

Resale is not really a consideration at the moment, no plans to sell it.

I think you'd get a great resale on a setup like that. Be one of the best manual 5 speed TT swaps going. Probably hit a wider market being cheaper anyway.

Think a new slave cylinder is required also.

Do I need the front part of the mk3 supra prop?

I can get the shifter done Jamie the same guy who done mine looking at £150 plus postage pics of mine are on my build

I have a spare to use as well so would be a quick exchange

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?283671-Busters-NA-T-build-with-Some-TT-bit

heres the right page

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?283671-Busters-NA-T-build-with-Some-TT-bit/page8

Can I take you up on that please mate?

This is for the aluminum outer casing only not the inner rod.

The inner rod we made lining it up to the outer casing once fitted to the box to make sure the shifter is in the middle of the casing hole and would shift right but as that's steel it was easy to fabricate.

If this is ok send me a pm Jamie and I'll see if I can find out how far we moved it back so I can get one made.

Edited by buster (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me or do threads on that forum seem to go round & round in circles??:blink:

Jamie, I'm no expert, but from what I can tell the extension that you enquired about is still too short to work without modifying the gear stick.

The part that holds the gear stick on your own R154 would need to be extended by at least 4" in order for the stick to sit in the correct position in the MKIV.

The proper cradle for the MKIV is this one

That's the one on my R154.

The trouble is that even if you could find that very cradle it won't fit your R154, you'd need the entire rear casing from a later model R154 in order to fit the bloody cradle!