The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Giant Spiders!!!

Supragal

What are thes giant spiders around at the mo? They are HUGE, like the size of my hand almost. medium bodies and medium legs, black and EVERYWHERE found and destroyed 4 in 3 weeks, I'm not impressed... is it the time of year that they all head inside does anyone know? Do spiders nest? I'm soooo scared of them it's untrue!!

:help:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things could be a lot worse, I'm glad I don't live somewhere a bit more tropical when it comes to beasts!

http://davidmichaelkennedy.com/blog/images/heather%20banana%20spider.jpg

(Banana Spider)

http://www.camelspiders.net/large-camel-spider.jpg

(Camel Spider)

It's the little tinkers that can kill you that worry me though!

I knew someone who got bitten by a spider and she came out in quite a rash, very unusual though!

Spiders do nest, and they are extremely protective over thier nests, especially to other spiders. The babies hatch and leave the nest immediately, as the mum, will end up eating them!

Like the "urban legend" about inhaling or eating spiders, nice!

Ought to write to myth busters with that one.

First time I have heard about the necrotising virus, that is bloody nasty, seen the damage that does in a medical journal and it makes your stomach turn!

:stickpoke

I hate spiders. Remember being in Oz and seeing a huntsman on the wall in the house we were staying at (see below). Was nearly the size of my hand and everyone there at the time seemed fine that this HUGE spider that can eat birds was sat not far from us all.

http://patrick.wattle.id.au/cameron/photos/insectish/e_huntsman.jpeg

I know Sabrina has had quite a few encounters lately that have provoked calls and photo's being text to me at odd hours of the night. Not that i would have been brave enough to have done anything :D

The Dyson has been our saviour but it's getting to the point now where I'm scared to go into the bedroom/s as I'm convinced one of the buggers will be in there. In fact it's worse when they are not because that means they are probably hiding somewhere... the idea that they probably run across the bed in the night... *shudder*

So what kind of places do they nest? I want to make sure they aren't... how do you stop them nesting or discourage them from coming inside in the first place? How DO they get in anyway?? They are GIANT.

As james said, I am absolutely frickin scared of them. The last one I did have to ring James over as it was the middle of the night and I was almost in tears. [pathetic I know]

I usually use the hoover as well, but the last one, ran across my bed, and I knew if I ran off toget the hoover it would disappear and then I would have to empty my bedroom entirely until I found it and got rid of it.

At least its not just my house this year. I have to destroy on average at least one per week at the moment, and they aren't small. There's one hovering by the washing machine which makes it very difficult to do any washing.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've encountered quite a few of these nasties mentioned above in my travels of the world. Some words:

Banana Spider - Found in very warm and wet tropical places. Ugly but harmless. Rebuilds webs extremely fast.

Camel Spider - Desert spider especially popular where there are....duh, camels. The camel spider gets its name because it preys on camels. The spider can run at 50 mph and jump 6 feet in the air. Highly Aggressive and has been known to attack humans. It attaches itself to the camels armpit (near leg joint) and bites, which instantly numbs the spot so the camel doesn't know its there. The infection from the venom spreads (much like the brown recluse spider of the U.S.), allowing the spider to eat away at the camels flesh until the owner of the camel notices. Nasty and uh,.... not harmless.

Brown Recluse - Small and brown with a black/white spot on the middle of the body. Poisonous bite causes infection that eats away flesh like that picture of the thumb above.

If you're going to Australia mate, and planning on camping out. I highly recommend you read up on Australian spiders. There's some nasty ones there.

On a good note, 95% of spiders are harmless. They actually keep your house void of other bugs by eating them. Call them little housekeepers.

I would if they WERE little. Some of them are bigger than Matt!!!

If he's not worried about them, you shouldn't be. Unless he has trouble showing fear. In this case, grab a shoe (one shouldn't be hard to find if you're at all like my wife) and smash away, then wipe up the remains with a papertowel.

If he's not worried about them, you shouldn't be. Unless he has trouble showing fear. In this case, grab a shoe (one shouldn't be hard to find if you're at all like my wife) and smash away, then wipe up the remains with a papertowel.

using a shoe would mean you have to get close to it. It could well jump up at you and start eating your face................................. :thumbdown