The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Propshaft balancing (TT auto prop)

LOGIE

OK so in a moment of stupidity today I picked up my prop by one end and the inevitable happened....yep it separated. So do I...

A) Pay for it to be rebalanced by a pro?

B)Put it back on the car with the rear end on axle stands and see how bad it vibrates and then separate and rotate it 1 splice at a time until it rotates correctly (If this can be done?) Then again I guess this could do more damage to the diff or autobox.

There are no markings to indicate where the intermediate and prop were previously coupled.

ANY other suggestions welcomed.

Bollocks:(

Edited by LOGIE (see edit history)

The two sections are balanced separately, the position of the splines is for U/J articulation.

Take a look at a pic of another and plug it back together in same position.

I did think about that mate but done a search and found this link and posts 13 and 14 got me wondering.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?230869-Drive-shaft-balancing&highlight=balanced+prop

Now that you've info that puts it into one of two places, you'll most likely find a clue which one it was, yet either will do, grease it up and plug back as pic.

Wonder no more.

What pic mate?

Edit. Tapabollocks wasnt showing your pic. I see it now. Does that mean I could get it wrong by 180° ?

Edited by LOGIE (see edit history)

they are balanced as 2 totally separate units. Its common practice to mark and refit as they came apart but its not essential.

Remember you can buy each part brand new from Toyota (or used to atleast) these are out the box ready to fit. Toyota would never expect you to have to rebalance everything if you for example were fitting an original front section to a brand new rear section.

If it was that critical it would have been made so it can only fit on in one orientation.

Just refit it you'll be fine.

Tim