The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big BHP engine build help and advice

johnd-mkiv

Hello, couldn't stay away found my self in the supra world again. Ive got my hands on a wide arch supra thats in need of work, main project being a built engine with a single turbo set up.

I need help with parts choice and tips on my build, don't want to overlook something that will later come back to haut me, and parts that were good (when I was last on here) are now superseded.

Ill be running a 6 speed box my aims are 700+ bhp I want something that's wild yet drivable, not like that chuck Norris car I see on here :D

piston choice? ive used wiseco on several builds, but most seem to favour JE or CP pistons. compressin ratio, from memory my last supra was running 8.5:1

head gasket, ive read some used an oem gasket over a hks ect ?

rods? carrilo seem to be favourite but have seen a few with eagle rods.

cams? what duration would cover me in the achievable hp with the option of going higher and again not be to aggressive.

Head work?

valve springs and retainers?

bearings? acl seem favourite?

ARP - rod , head and main bolts

Main caps? these are listed in big builds are oem prone to fail?

turbo kit? so many available at the moment not sure whats a dinosaur now and whats new :innocent:

injectors, size again with an allowance for more bhp.

any help and advice will be greatly appreciated

john

Pistons - use Mahle, these are pretty much the best out there, F1 teams use them for a reason.

Carillo rods are the best, BC 625+ rods are a good choice as well.

Standard Toyota head gasket.

Our 280 cams work a treat on big power cars, especially when combined with one our big valve heads, both proven to work to over 1300bhp so far.

We use Clevite bearings on all of our engine builds, from standard to big power.

ARP head and main studs, rods come with there own bolts included.

Std main caps unless you are going for more than a 1000bhp, even then its rare to see them breaking.

Turbo kit, depends on your power goals, many many different options out there. We mainly use the Borg Warner turbos with billet comp wheels on our turbo kits. A 66mm billet turbo will make 800bhp with all the supporting mods to go with it, and it'll be fast spooling too.

Fuel system, again depends on your ultimate power goals. Asnu 1000cc injectors will do 900bhp with one of our fuel rail kits, one Walbro 450lph pump will do 800bhp. You'll need regulator and fuel lines to go with it.

We can supply it all if needed, if you're buying in bulk I can do a good price on it all for you.

Cheers

Paul

Pistons - use Mahle, these are pretty much the best out there, F1 teams use them for a reason.

Carillo rods are the best, BC 625+ rods are a good choice as well.

Standard Toyota head gasket.

Our 280 cams work a treat on big power cars, especially when combined with one our big valve heads, both proven to work to over 1300bhp so far.

We use Clevite bearings on all of our engine builds, from standard to big power.

ARP head and main studs, rods come with there own bolts included.

Std main caps unless you are going for more than a 1000bhp, even then its rare to see them breaking.

Turbo kit, depends on your power goals, many many different options out there. We mainly use the Borg Warner turbos with billet comp wheels on our turbo kits. A 66mm billet turbo will make 800bhp with all the supporting mods to go with it, and it'll be fast spooling too.

Fuel system, again depends on your ultimate power goals. Asnu 1000cc injectors will do 900bhp with one of our fuel rail kits, one Walbro 450lph pump will do 800bhp. You'll need regulator and fuel lines to go with it.

We can supply it all if needed, if you're buying in bulk I can do a good price on it all for you.

Cheers

Paul

thanks Paul ill be in touch