The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Homers '98 RSP TT project

Homer

So while I wait for parts @evinX is getting on with the next stage of paint work. The bonnet paint had completely failed due to it being painted very poorly previously. It has serious corrosion and paint flaking off. Kev is going to do what he can with it for now but it looks like I might need to source a replacement. The hood scoop is oem but the bolts connecting it are permanently fused together. There is no way to remove it without breaking it, so for now it’s going to painted in place. Kev is confident he can get it looking good.

Front wings also have stone chips previously painted over and there is a lot of underlying rust. Kev is going back to bare metal before epoxying and repainting.

f5643bdc-7059-4b52-b1a6-9cfe893e830b.jpeg

570fd8b5-c054-46c2-8c0b-ea36212234aa.jpeg

569bb401-906c-40a6-9520-235684155733.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

• Like 6

Kev’s been busy and finished the wings and bonnet. I’m really pleased with the results, there’s some specs in the paint and some small runs in the clear coat but it’s really good considering this is a diy job with no booth. He also did an amazing job with the bonnet scoop, it’s impossible to tell it was painted while on the car.

It’s good enough now to leave it for a couple of weeks to let the paint harden before beginning the wet sanding process. That is going to take a lot of hours but the final result should be pretty decent.

It’s very dirty as we had a big rain shower yesterday.

IMG_0611.thumb.jpeg.07eaae6c553a42a640af233bd4745c62.jpeg

couple of before and after Kev put together. How it arrived at his place and how it left. 

IMG_0604.thumb.jpeg.120a940129e4e85663561f0ac5396f71.jpeg

IMG_0603.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

A few little updates:

1) During the cars past life it lost its active spoiler. After a lot of ear bashing Kev finally convinced me to get one fitted, though this was very cheap by todays standards (as I bought it from him 🙂 )!

While I was on holiday Kev was kind enough to fit it to the car. 

I’ve always maintained the active spoiler makes a noticeable difference to front end downforce at higher speeds, so for a car that’s going to be doing its share of track days it’s a very worthwhile upgrade.

2) The 2nd turbo delay issue is getting worse, I think that along with some issues with the piping the IC is leaking. I need to find a smic solution, but options seem limited. The whifbitz one is expensive and has poor reviews and CW isn’t making them anymore. I’m going to see if something can be made locally but I’m not very hopeful! I don’t want to lose the active aero so have backed myself into a difficult position. 

3) Amayama parts arrived at last, this is one of the last big orders to get the main parts of the car finished. Now, lots of fitting fiddly bits!

The picture below shows just how far head the active spoiler is in front of the cooling systems (IC, AC rad and water radiator). It gives a good visualisation of just how much air is being forced into the stock ducts.

IMG_1449.jpeg

IMG_1450.jpeg

IMG_1451.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg

• Like 7

I planned to do a lot of jobs today but just one of them ended up taking all afternoon…

I found the Intercooler I’d bought off a forum member was leaking so needed to get a replacement. I really want to keep it stock and retain the active lip so I needed to find a replacement side mount… not easy!!! Luckily someone replied to a wanted ad saying they had an Greddy/Trust side mount with the IC piping. It was a fairly good price and turned out to be in fantastic condition. Also turns out these are extremely rare. It’s well made too, much better than some copies I’ve seen.

Got that fitted today but decided not to fit the aluminium piping, I’ve kept it all stock (less heat soak and less chance of hoses popping off).

A test drive found it’d picked up a bit of power, but most importantly the 2nd turbo is coming in much sooner. Almost where it should be. The car is a bit quicker now but still fairly disappointing compared to my old jspec TT.

Greddy IC:

92fa1d6c-0015-4941-a46b-2065b0a6fc3f.thumb.jpeg.3d18c052b82e45c090851080accda20d.jpeg

5e64c96d-2968-43d7-8831-434fb9dac56d.thumb.jpeg.2161d83225aec375fac219ea10f3adca.jpeg

New versus old:

IMG_1587.thumb.jpeg.311e7c58d872913bc85a09e829feec50.jpeg

IMG_1588.thumb.jpeg.90b9de6f76efde4e14a11724bee7b5a4.jpeg

IMG_1589.thumb.jpeg.29698daa11bf704675de78e3d986ec0e.jpeg

All done, it sits at a bit of an angle, I guess that had to be done because it’s bigger than the oem one.

IMG_1596.thumb.jpeg.3fd6fa2a449ec252f7df934a981fc0dd.jpeg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, mwilkinson said:

Did you use the OEM intercooler lower pipe bracket in the second image?  Do you need it?  If not would you sell it?

Sorry man, I already reused that as it was missing from my car. 

Quick couple of jobs completed in the last couple of days. Nothing too interesting!

1) Corroded water neck has been replaced with a new one.

2) The two rubber hoses connecting the turbo inlets were suspected to have collapsed, so I replaced them. It turns out there was very little wrong with them, though one did show signs of it starting to collapse.

It also have me chance to inspect turbo 1, there was no play in the shaft and the blades looked new. Not bad for a 200k mile engine! There was a the usual grime from the EGR system so I will be removing that as soon as possible.

Hose starting to collapse, the other one was okay:

IMG_1646.thumb.jpeg.9d9a0a1c26a1bf56972f9a6acad5f506.jpeg

New hoses and water neck fitted. I was tempted to take the turbo shield off for painting but didn’t want to open that can of snapped bolts!

IMG_1732.thumb.jpeg.c3bab194ef8bb0778bed56099d8feea5.jpeg

IMG_1734.thumb.jpeg.379e53c7ed91acd69b2633bc3d87ffe8.jpeg

• Like 5

ECU issues… and resolution. My car has an auto Ecu but has been converted to manual transmission, like many others.

In a recent thread @Mike2JZ pointed out some of the issues that can occur when you retain the auto Ecu. I incorrectly assumed it was only timing but it was so much more. Mike explains it in this post: 

Even before this I have been on the hunt for a UK spec manual ECU, but had little hope one would ever come up for sale. They’re just about one of the hardest things to find for a supra. Luckily, @Tyson mentioned he might have one in storage somewhere. He found this last week so I arranged to purchase it right away, thankfully Mike was very reasonable on the price which I’m incredibly grateful for! The only other one I found wanted the same money as a decent standalone for it.

I fitted the manual Ecu today and it worked perfectly, it’s resolved two of the  three outstanding issues:

1) First turbo is now producing much more boost. 2nd turbo spools sooner and even works in first gear now.

2) There’s more power at the high end, it continues to pull beyond where my old jspec car would, likely due to the high lift cam.

I believe from Mikes posts that these are due to issues caused by the car thinking it’s in neutral.

It still feels a little sluggish compared to jspec but that’s something I’ll have to get used to…. or maybe it’s already time for BPU 🙂 I’ll try and get a go pro video to show how it is at some point.

Quick question for any readers… which speed delimiters are used these days? I had a search around but couldn’t find much. I’ve got a track day coming up so don’t want to hit a wall at 112mph!

IMG_1776.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/14/2024 at 9:00 PM, Homer said:

....on the hunt for a UK spec manual ECU....

Quick question for any readers… which speed delimiters are used these days? I had a search around but couldn’t find much. I’ve got a track day coming up so don’t want to hit a wall at 112mph!

I thought the UK ones didn't have restriction or is that a JDM manual in the pic? If so i just used a HKS speed limit defencer one, not sure if there is anything more modern...

• Like 1

You're right, I forgot about the UK limit being different. It's 155mph which given this is stock I'm not going to hit on a track day!

I also heard that since I've removed the traction control unit it's delimited anyway.

I just need to figure out how to get the instrument cluster converted without messing up the PAS sensitivity

• Like 1

Just a point about that new smic, now it's sat at an angle your ducting that sits infront of it I'm now guessing won't fit? Well when chatting to various people about mine I was told the biggest problem with the old whifbitz one I had was that the air was escaping round the sides of the smic as the ducting wasn't connected or touching the smic, therefore the air wasn't being cooled efficiently at all and therefore resulting in less bhp because of it! 

You really want one that's going to allow the ducting to seal up to it so every inch of air is pushed through the intercooler

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Homer said:

I just need to figure out how to get the instrument cluster converted without messing up the PAS sensitivity

I think i might have a speedo converter at home somewhere, not sure if i still do or if it works or would work but would be happy to donate it if you want. IIRC it was off my old JDM NA....or it could've been my old TT Aristo😕

Edited by TuneR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Today @evinXand I refit the front bumper. The aftermarket SMIC interfered with the active spoiler and cause it to catch on the front lip. It obviously wasn’t designed to work with one so the simplest solution was to cut a small section out of the side of the active spoiler under tray. This allowed the active lip to sit in the right place and stopped it catching.

We also replaced the rear drop links as one was loose. The car now handles a hell of a lot better! 

23 hours ago, raddys said:

Just a point about that new smic, now it's sat at an angle your ducting that sits infront of it I'm now guessing won't fit? Well when chatting to various people about mine I was told the biggest problem with the old whifbitz one I had was that the air was escaping round the sides of the smic as the ducting wasn't connected or touching the smic, therefore the air wasn't being cooled efficiently at all and therefore resulting in less bhp because of it! 

You really want one that's going to allow the ducting to seal up to it so every inch of air is pushed through the intercooler

It’s my intention to adapt and extend the stock ducting so that it works the way Toyota intended. The only issue I have is the stock ducting was missing, I’ve been trying to source one for some time but no luck so far! I fully agree with your post though, I’m always surprised so few make any ducting when fitting front mounts.

8 hours ago, TuneR said:

I think i might have a speedo converter at home somewhere, not sure if i still do or if it works or would work but would be happy to donate it if you want. IIRC it was off my old JDM NA....or it could've been my old TT Aristo😕

That would be great if you don’t mind. They’re not particularly expensive (I think most are a 5/8ths conversion), but just need one that fixes the pas issue. It’s a shame the TRL ones aren’t available as they were perfect.

That's a shame it didn't come with the ducting but I'm sure you'll both figure a way to seal it and get direct air flow on to it 👌

I'm sure you're aware of what the ducting looks like but just incase you haven't seen it before I've attached a pic 😁

520.jpg

• Like 2

I think I have a spare SMIC duct.  It has a small notch cut out of it from memory.

I've got a brand new one, so it is surplus to requirement.

I'll look in my garage this evening and confirm I still have it and I'll send you some images to see if you want it.

• Like 2