The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What do I need to consider in my rebuild?

Crash Bandicoot

Patience is key but also think about having a budget for bolts that might sheer, and I always find pictures to be helpful to jog my memory, when dealing with electrics I always use coloured tags on each part the is disconnected. I also place the matching tags on the areas they will be joining in the new shell.

Works for me :D

Thanks, in the point of skimping on bolts, I'm a nuclear reactor fitter in a dockyard and have access to very, very expensive and extensively tested consumables like nuts and bolts as well as other handy things to do with this, heat shrink, new electrical ends, tools needed and tools that need to be made specifically ;) Planning on having the engine out for a while so I can clean it up and customise certain bits in stainless, polyeurathane and shines bits. All courtesy of where I work :p also planning on having the engine bay on the doner car nicely flushed off with more straight lines and a cleaner appeal along with a bit of an engine tidy, re-routing and hiding as much as possible. But at the same time not to go too complicated so that I don't fcuk things up... I can vision turning the key several months from now and awaken a new animal to take on the next dragonball ;)

Masking tape is your friend, seriously. Use it and label every damn wire, and every bag of screws and bolts, even if you think you know where it came from or that it is obvious, believe me, it ain't. I did mine and it wasn't funny spending time wondering if this is the right suspension bolt or not. And lots of little plastic bags, for each section's bolts, eg: engine bolts, diff bolts, front suspension bolts and screws, dashboard screws, turbo side screws, etc

Tagging wise ill get some removable cable ties with small tallies on saying what's what, ill make some poly bags for all small parts like bolts. Sectioning them out is a good idea ill take on board tho, cardboard boxes to seperate parts into sections.

Is there anything I need to worry about disconnection wise? Ecu? Fuel programme box? Guages? Will anything reset if disconnected then reconnected? I don't know all that this car has as I bought it last Saturday and smashed it the gollowing Tuesday. It has an air/fuel/boost gauge and seperate boost gauge and has a few sinister ecu looking boxes hidden under the carpet in the passenger footwell... I know some of you will be thinking I don't have a clue what I'm doing and to a certain extent your right but is it as easy as if I disconnect something and follow it back till it ends, take it out and put it in the doner car and then reconnect it?

It's not as hard as doing say a BMW or Mercedes. The major things you need are some tutorials already here on the forum, you will be best served by printing them out. (you have to find them first)

They are:

1.How to do an NA to TT Engine swap

2. How to do a 6 speed gearbox conversion (for the gearbox part)

3. How to install twin blitz turbos

4. How to install a hks fcd (for the ecu parts)

5. How to change the heater matrix (how to remove the dash)

Everything else is basic plug and replug. There are a few other tutorials that you may need as you go along, but nothing major.

Take loads of pictures before disconnecting anything, or cutting any wire. Especially anything in the engine bay. You will regret it if you don't.

Thanks, in the point of skimping on bolts, I'm a nuclear reactor fitter in a dockyard and have access to very, very expensive and extensively tested consumables like nuts and bolts as well as other handy things to do with this, heat shrink, new electrical ends, tools needed and tools that need to be made specifically ;)

He heee, that's told us :) The mischievous in me will refrain from muttering Chenobyl, Fukushima, and other sundry nuclear disasters ;) Will we be seeing a Trident-Supra surfacing soon then?

Guest Roger NE

Generally speaking, if you're swapping the engine, it's much easier to leave the engine loom in place on the engine, and disconnect from the ECU and other connectors

Routing all the cables around the engine can be quite complicated if you're not familiar with it !

Just read Rich's na-t build thread and it has put me in my place. What an inspiring guy. I NEED TO CRACK ON. However if I'm going all out on this I may aswell get exactly what I want. Black aero top. That or nothing!

Haha cheers bud :D

The guides on here will be priceless to you!