The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 speed manual diff to auto diff questions

bignum

only if you swap to a small casing diff, if you get a uk spec auto diff that's a large casing so nothing will need swapping, or maybe the flange for the prop but im sure all the large diffs have the same flange.

Correct. Mine was a straight forward swap, nothing needed changing.... Bar the diff :)

I believe even with the larger cased diff to small cased diff swap the driveshaft doesn't need changing... all the left driveshafts are the same lenght (as are all the right ones).

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?267375-big-diff-driveshaft-measurements-please&highlight=driveshaft+measurements

Edited by Jos (see edit history)

IMO when changing from an large case to an small case diff, you'll need to change the rear left driveshaft as well as the propshaft.

Have a look here for reference and pictures.http://mkiv.com/techarticles/auto_to_6spd_swap/differential/index.html

^^above link shows difference in length of the rear left driveshaft, it's an short description from auto to manual but shows whats needed in the process when you decide to go small case (3.7 final drive).

Best of luck with the swap.

Edited by Mario (see edit history)

Guest Roger NE

How bonkers that Toyota have made it so complicated !

On the Mk3 Supras even though they may vary in shape ALL the diffs have the same fitting dimensions, whether they are from N/A or Turbo cars with the W58, R154 or Auto box, with or without LSD . . so they can be easily swapped from ANY model to change your gearing.

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

I believe even with the larger cased diff to small cased diff swap the driveshaft doesn't need changing... all the left driveshafts are the same lenght (as are all the right ones).

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?267375-big-diff-driveshaft-measurements-please&highlight=driveshaft+measurements

No. One of the shafts is a different length - 5mm if I remember correctly.

Some people have bodged it without changing through but I'm not sure if that increases the chance of damaging the diff itself of the shaft seal on the one side at full bump or rebound.

Lol, everybody says you need to change the left driveshafts, but I have compared big diff and small diff shafts and there is no difference in length.... I know the manual says there should be 5 mm difference but there isn't, I bought a couple of sets to compare them.

Compressed length was approx 5mm different on the near side shaft I used from a pre-facelift import (with a large diff) compared to my facelift small diff shaft. I can't say it any simpler.

Did you remove the shafts from the large diff cars yourself or buy them as plain shafts from someone. Maybe you got sold something different?

Simon, you might be fine with the small diff shaft. I've never done it so can't say first hand if the length difference affects anything.

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

There is definitely a small difference, 5mm as Dan says. Verified by myself and DaveP, using two different(Small and Large Case) driveshafts.

-Longer LH Driveshaft: Came from my 1994 (Originally Auto) N/A with small case diff.

-Smaller LH Driveshaft: Came from a factory TT6 with factory fitted large case diff.

I removed both the driveshafts myself from both cars.

Compressed length was approx 5mm different on the near side shaft I used from a pre-facelift import (with a large diff) compared to my facelift small diff shaft. I can't say it any simpler.

Did you remove the shafts from the large diff cars yourself or buy them as plain shafts from someone. Maybe you got sold something different?

Simon, you might be fine with the small diff shaft. I've never done it so can't say first hand if the length difference affects anything.

In that case my appologies for wrong info, and I'm glad somebody else finally made the effort of measuring them, could you share your measured lengths, so I can compare them to mine and for future reference.

I bought the driveshafts from very respected members on here, so no doubt they were big diff ones. Only explanation I got is my original shaft was incorrect?, so compressed measurements would be helpfull please.

• 8 months later...