The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do I have a wheel bearing problem?

BazzaAlpine

Okay, a few weeks ago I started to get a squealing sound from the passenger side rear wheel but only after I had been on the move for a while which stops under breaking. I jacked the car up and checked for wheel movement but it seemed solid. I did notice the pad was getting a bit low so I thought it could have been that. Well I changed the rear brake pads over the weekend and noticed something really odd with the pads from that side. The outer one was worn right down but the inner one still had most of it's pad left but was showing wear on the upper and lower edges :s Drivers side were both worn evenly.

Does this mean the bearing has gone kaput on the rear passenger side? Let's face it, it's one of the few things that I've not had to replace with this fing car so wouldn't surprise me :(

Guest Roger NE
Would that also explain why it will suddenly start squealing as I'm driving
I would say so, yes

The fact that the OUTER pad was worn but the inner one wasn't means that your actual Caliper Piston is OK . . . but the SLIDER is probably seized.

On most cars these days, they only have pistons on ONE side of the Disc, so the pressure on the other side is achieved by the whole Caliper sliding so that the disc is squeezed equally on both sides.

Did you not check that the caliper could slide freely when you checked the pads? (This is a common problem, which is why I re-grease my sliders at least once a year - in the past I've had them seize so solid that NOTHING would free them, not even heat and a sledgehammer!)

By the way, when Wheel Bearings are badly worn you normally get a very low-pitched rumbling sound from the offending wheel

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

I have the smaller jspec 2pot/1pot. Thanks for all the info guys. I'll see about greasing the sliders.

If the caliper(s) has seized you'll probably find the seals are split/perished. If they've not been serviced for a while I'd strip and rebuild all the calipers with new seals. Toyota sell rebuild kits which include new seals for a pair of calipers.

This place also sells rebuild kits http://biggred.co.uk/catalogue.php

Toyota part numbers.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1813/ye5r.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6721/k3lw.jpg

Guest Roger NE

I would imagine they will be seized solid ! So it's not just a question of greasing them, it's getting them freed up that is usually quite a difficult job

And in my experience it's always the TOP slider that seizes up, not the lower one.

Personally, even when they've been seized up, I've never had any perished or split rubber seals (they're like miniature boots on steering racks or driveshafts)

The sliders will be seized, if you want I can free them and ream out the carrier, and grease with the correct high temperature grease. Should the caliper piston itself be seizing I can provide seal kits, or stainless steel replacement caliper pistons, or do a caliper rebuild. I am as far away as your nearest post office :) Check the heat han't cracked the disc. It'll need new pads. I can supp....... :)

If the pins are truly free in the caliper carrier they should slide with near zero effort. The only friction would be from the anti rattle rubber O rings on one or both pins, depending if they are front or rear sliders. Personally I remove those and bin them. To be honest sliding calipers are a bit of an abortion at best, but they are cheap to make and we are stuck with them.

I had a very similar noise coming from my passenger side front wheel...the most annoying high pitched whirling sound and squeal as you move...almost like the brakes are on all the time. Had those symptoms for absolutely aggggges, a good 4 months or so. Tried driving slow, fast, brake short and sharp, harsh, nice and soft, nothing made a difference. My ex sat in my car for two mins....and the noise went away, and has never come back! the weirdest thing ever. Dont know what it was in the end, havent had the wheels off to check. But sticky caliper or sliding pin is most likely the cause as mentioned above!

I think rather than leaving something like this for 4 months a better option would

be to get it into a decent garage and get it checked.

It could be something silly or could be something very serious.

Just because the noise has gone i'd still be getting it looked at if

i couldn't do it myself