The mkiv Supra Owners Club

James's DJG Turbo Project

TheTurtleshead

Glad your keeping this, would have probably gone to Europe never to be seen again otherwise. Love the updates and agree about your knowledge, it makes your updates a cut above the norm. Hope to see it for real at some point.

If you class Crawley as Europe ;)

Wanted this car so much lol!!

Credit to James. She's a nicely specced car and I think well thought out car with sensibly chosen mods!

• 2 weeks later...

Small update! Shocks have been away and been dyno'd to asses the condition. I found one of the retaining caps on a rear shock body was loose(keeps all the valves etc where they should be inside the shock).

I stripped them down and popped them off with my shock guy for a dyno run after tightening up the cap. Thankfully they are all perfect according to my shock guy. :) The attached dyno plot for one of the pairs shows they are pretty even side to side which is good.

I also sand blasted and painted the lower shock bodies as they were suffering from minor surface rust. All refitted now, should last a few more years :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=210928&stc=1&d=1460576888

attachment.php?attachmentid=210927&stc=1&d=1460576491

image.jpg

image.jpg

Gave the HKS Ti a polish up prior to re-fitting. Found the brackets were suffering from quite a lot of surface corrosion, so I stripped them back and painted them up in an attempt to protect them.

FYI- The springs are stainless and coated in copper slip, hence why they are brown. (No rust!) :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=211122&stc=1&d=1461015461

image.jpg

Updates! Almost back on the road and ready for summer. Just need to polish one wheel and seal them and it's done.

Apologies for the orientation of some pictures!

Fitted some UK rears I got from Lee. A customer of his was upgrading and these are apparently from a recently imported car, so thankfully in excellent working order.

attachment.php?attachmentid=211209&stc=1&d=1461357668

I then tackled something that has bothered me for a while... Pretty sure the supra never came with a N/S rear arch liner/dirt shield, only an O/S one?

(It became even more annoying when I noticed the gravel rash on my rear silencer box when polishing it up)

I set about making one, and the required mounts, to both protect my exhaust box and the rear inner arch from crud build-up, which could lead to premature rusting.

Here is what I came up with. I slathered it in a thick coat of plasti-dip before fitting. I figured it would be more resistant to the stones than paint.

attachment.php?attachmentid=211210&stc=1&d=1461357668

attachment.php?attachmentid=211211&stc=1&d=1461357668

attachment.php?attachmentid=211212&stc=1&d=1461357668

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

So here is a belated update from a few months ago, but An unfortunate case of phone based destruction meant I didn'y have access to the pics of how I made this, so I have delayed posting until I got them back. :)

Last year at some point(can't find the post on here where I uploaded the pic) I made a simple aluminium shield to protect the intercooler, and help duct air through it from the bumper mouth. As you can see from the below pic, it left a gap with the original front bumper undertray(trimmed to allow fitment of the FMIC, I had just used the side sections previously).

attachment.php?attachmentid=211405&stc=1&d=1461866173

I decided to make up a section for the sides, to close up the gap properly. The following pics show the process of templating up, drawing out and bending up these side sections, before some pics of the finished ,welded article and it fitted to the car.

attachment.php?attachmentid=211406&stc=1&d=1461866440

attachment.php?attachmentid=211407&stc=1&d=1461866440

attachment.php?attachmentid=211408&stc=1&d=1461866440

attachment.php?attachmentid=211409&stc=1&d=1461866440

attachment.php?attachmentid=211410&stc=1&d=1461866440

attachment.php?attachmentid=211412&stc=1&d=1461871333

attachment.php?attachmentid=211411&stc=1&d=1461866588

All in all very pleased with how it came out, it seals up all the holes and I can still use the OEM towing hooks, although hopefully I'll never need to! ;)

Thanks for looking,

James.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

At long last..... An Update!

I am very, very pleased with this latest purchase, a Genuine Ross Machine Racing Intake manifold & Wilson Throttle Body. I have been snooping around supra-forums for literally years, hoping to find one of these, as I never expected to pick one up in the UK. Thanks to Chris Parry for the deal!

It also came with the original RMR fuel rail. I'm not sure if I will use this or my HKS rail yet.. as the HKS fits my ID1000cc injectors, with 11mm tops, and the RMR rail is made for 14mm injector tops.... Hmmmm, so I'd need to swap the injector tops for new 14mm affairs. If I don't use it, I shall stash it away anyway, as it's part of the original RMR package.

The quality of it's construction and design means it's sort of hypertune-quality, although I doubt it's quite as effective due to the 15 years age difference between the two, but it still is one of the best manifolds ever made for a supra. They are highly coveted in the USA, and for good reason! I wanted one as I refuse to cut the hole in the inner wing to allow for the pipework, as you have to do with any angled intake. With an RMR the pipework follows the stock routing.

There is also the rare-factor to consider... Anyone seen another in the UK before?

Anyway, pics! I have plans to beautify it before I fit it, so stay tuned! I'm not expecting any more power, as the turbo is pretty maxed out, but it will be interesting to see if it gains at all in the mid-range.

attachment.php?attachmentid=214803&stc=1&d=1474225722

attachment.php?attachmentid=214804&stc=1&d=1474225722

attachment.php?attachmentid=214805&stc=1&d=1474225722

thumb_IMG_5713_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5714_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5715_1024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

RMR has been getting some love.

-Plenum has had a polish up. Runners have had a coat of wrinkle. I also masked up carefully and painted a light wrinkle coat on the RMR logo. It came out really nice, didn't work for me as just a machined effect, but I like it now!

-Throttle body is away at the machinists having some work done. It leaked through the spindle bearings. I have made plans to address this, and also adapt it to use a supra TPS and not a mustang one(higher resolution). I will post photos when it's done.

attachment.php?attachmentid=214982&stc=1&d=1475245543

attachment.php?attachmentid=214981&stc=1&d=1475245543

image.jpg

image.jpg