The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speedo probs

Jake

I picked up a '93 J-Spec Auto TT at the weekend. The speedo has got one of those cheap crappy mph covers. This of course means that the speedo only goes up to 110mph. Also the car is still restricted to 180kph.

OK, no real problems so far, right ? Buuut the Odometer is recording in Miles. Says Miles on the display and driving a known distance (to work) confirms that it is recording in Miles.

So, if I have the speedo converted properly and an original speedo dial fitted what is going to happen to the odometer ? I'm presuming the speedo mod would make the odo start recording incorrectlty, right ?

Also, anyone know where I could get hold of a replacement OE speed face ?

thx

Maybe you have the 180kph speedo face under the 110mph cover? If not then put a wanted ad in the Sales section of this BBS. New speedos are a bit pricey.

Sound like you have either a UK odometer, or a modded odometer fitted. The speedo (and all other speed dependant systems) takes its signal from the odometer, so it wouldnt make any sense to just mod the signal going into the odometer and leave the speedo as normal.

Once you get your speedo face sorted, you can buy a cheap converter / SLD (speed limit defenser) from Pete Betts at TRL (who will be along any minute now) which will sort out your speedo reading and remove the limiter for you.

Originally posted by Alex Holdroyd

If it isn't the original odo then isn't there a chance its been clocked..sorry to bring it up but I feel i must.

You reckon that 140,000miles might not be genuine ? :) j/k

Actually now you mention it, there was some kinda certificate the guy showed me from the garage where the odo was changed to miles.

I'll go look for it in a minute.

Ahhhhh-hahhhhhhhhh!

They might not all be miles.

Possibly the car recored in km up to when the odo was modded, and miles thereafter. Its possible that you will need the certificate and a calculator to work out how far your car has really travelled.

Everyone else has pretty much said it all.

If you have a speedo dial face that reads 0->110MPH then the face has been changed from the original 0->180KPH Jap unit to a cheapo MPH one.

If the speedo dial face reads 0->180 with a MPH sticker over the Km/h legend then this is the BEST situation and most common.

The fact the odometer displays MILES and clocks up in miles could indicate....

1/ Jap odometer replaced with UK spec Odometer. In which case the miles displayed could be anything. No idea how you confirm that.

2/ speedo converter fitted which is ONLY converting the Jap odometer. In which case the number displayed is a combination of the Km and new Miles traveled

Ideally you need to get a 0->180 speedo dial....

3/ if it's a KPH one then you fit a speedo converter and cover the Km/h legend with a MPH one.

4/ if it's a MPH UK spec one then great, you don't need to do anything to the signal for the speedometer.

BUT if it's 4/ then you will need to buy a converter (or work out what's fitted) to convert the odometer, unless the odometer is a UK spec one (in which case you need do nothing)

It all sounds very complicated but it's simple really, but the key is finding out EXACTLY what you have got fitted NOW! That's down to you.

Then we can help and provide more exact details.

For speedo converter and combined top speed delimiter try

TRL DSC+SLD

There is also more details on my personal site on speedo conversion which I suggest you read.

Pete's Speedo Stuff

Click on "Speedometer Conversion" section

Regards

Pete