The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tein 'Vs' Bc Racing 'Vs' D2 Racing 'Vs' HSD

Mugello

Hi all,

I am looking to order my uprated coilover suspension soon and was looking through the options and really cant decided what to go for :think: ..... Any help ?

TEIN Super Street

- 16 stage damping adjustable

- Fully height adjustable

- Spring rate : 10kg/6kg

BC Racing BR RS Series

- 30 way adjustable dampening

- Spring rate : 14kg/10kg

D2 Racing

- 36 way adjustable dampening

- Spring rate : Custom spring rates (3.5, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 18, and 22 kg/mm)

HSD Monotube Monopro

- 16 stage damping adjustable

- Spring rate : ? kg/? kg

What do you guys n girls recommend ? :)

Thanks, Moo.

Edited by Mugello (see edit history)

If going with Tein you need to spend a fair bit of cash. The budget range, IMO, are terrible. I would go with either Meister-R or HSDs. They are both very similar, the main difference is the spring rate. I believe the HSDs are a bit stiffer so it really depends what you want to use the car for. If you're looking for height adjustability with maximum comfort then the Meister-R spring rate is the closest to stock that you can get in this price range, if you're looking for something a little firmer then the HSDs are next down the pecking order. I've got HSDs, not done a great deal of miles on them but they have been fantastic, not too firm but definitely not soft either.

Seems like everyone has there preference from there experience. I would looking for something a little more firmer with the possibility of a few track days.

Anyone got any experience with the D2 Racing Coilovers ?

I'm sure I read a few bad reports about D2 so I decided not to even try them. I went through quite a few sets before settling...

TRD Shocks & springs

TRD Shocks with Espiler Springs

Megan Racing Height Adjustable 32 way coilovers

HSD coilovers

By far and away the best of the bunch has been HSD, the Megan Racing were OK but not quite up to the same standard. The TRD setups were far too hard for me.

marc_p: Only go for Teins if you get Flex's, stay away from Superstreets, way too crashy for UK roads.

:yeahthat:

I forgot to mention, I had Tein Superstreets on my old NA. The ride was horrible compared to the BC Coilovers I have now.

My BC's are currently set bang in the middle (stiffness/softness) and are really good. Not as comfortable as they could be when on dodgy surfaced roads, but it's my preference, as most roads around me are good. A little stiffer in the corners means I have to sacrifice that little bit of comfort. However, if they were set to a softer setting, I have no doubt they would be much more comfortable.

When set to the hardest setting, there is virtually no noticeable body roll, which is great if you want to go on track. Even how they are set now, there isn't a lot of body roll either.

I've never had them on the softest setting.

Edited by listy (see edit history)

Guest Budz86

I had stock on the NA and changed to BC's and the difference was brilliant. Very good value for money, good ride quality and good handling (as much as you can test in an NA anyway!). Was very happy with them and would deffo buy them again.

Have Tein superstreets on the TT and really not a fan. Quite a crashy ride for normal day to day driving but saying that, when I was pushing it on dragonball this year they felt pretty good! Had loads of confidence in the car and seemed very planted and grippy, although 3 day old tyres and French roads helped! I think they'd be good for track work, but not a daily.