The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air con mod idea, increase bhp for free!!

Arron

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The car will be gone in one and a half weeks so please be quick guys: Data, Data, Data, Data, I need data or you will be exterminated :drama:

I've got all the data you require. As a gesture of good will, please drop your Supra round to me, and I'll post the data off to you on its receipt ;)

You sound like Obama! "barmin mad" I tell ya.

Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians!

Practical data required and she's yours! In theory we are told that we're out of recession but does it really feel like it on the streets? No :cool:

I'm game. I take you up on your offer of giving away your car.

First we need to better define this statement:

"The mod will without a shadow of a doubt work."

The mod in this case is defined by you as being:

"a custom pipe was made and a feed taken from one of the 2 drivers vents (behind the dash of course) and then channeled through along the inner wing and pointed at the air intake filter"

So that's a feed from ONE (singular) driver's vent, just behind the dash. It is then routed via standard piping and no further cooling methods to simply vent into atmosphere by the air intake filter.

Activating the mod is defined thus:

"Just crank up the air con and pedal to the floor"

So you turn on the aircon and presumably the fan speed to maximum and then go wide open throttle.

And your the definition of "work" is:

"increases bhp noticeably"

and

"this mod will make the 3000 rpm + rev ranges awesome"

A 'noticeable' increase in BHP is of course subjective, and also the higher the current bhp, the higher the increase needed to still be noticeable. If we go for the turbo Supra average of Stock to BPU, that's between 300 to 400 bhp. You'd need a 10% increase to be noticeable in my opinion, so call it 35bhp as an average between the two. For this effect to be noticeable, of course, it also need to compensate for the power drain the aircon pump and electrical fan puts on the engine. As it'll be running flat out that's about 10bhp , so you need to net 45bhp in total from this.

Also, 'awesome' is, while subjective, a very strong word to use. An awesome increase in the 3000+rpm area implies a much higher increase than 35bhp, probably more like 150bhp. But being generous I'll ignore that superlative for now :)

Reasons I should get your car:

1) Has anyone here got a shadow of a doubt that the above described setup won't net you at least 45bhp? I have, but I may be biased as I've got a free car coming to me.

2) A rough calculation online shows you'd need a drop of 20+degC intake temps to get anything like these gains, and that's with crap intercooling. Considering how long it takes to cool the cabin of a hot car, I doubt one vent can deliver a 20degC drop to a 3 litre engine running at 6750 revs with a bar of boost.

3) Finally, at "pedal to the floor", or WOT, the ECU turns off the aircon system to give you maximum power. Car please.

-Ian

Edited by Arron (see edit history)

Well to balance things out, something similar has already been done: http://www.fordforums.com/f611/supercooler-technology-f-150-lightning-concept-35935/

I think this sums it up really, well, for me it does.

Arron, your idea (in my eyes) will not work. If it would, then surely Ford would have done that, rather than pre-cooling a separate tank of coolant, and injecting that into the system.

I'm sure they spent plenty of money researching it all, and if their way of doing it produces up to 50hp for ONLY 30-45 seconds, then has to recharge itself, I can't see a small pipe blowing cold air onto the intake making a blind bit of worthy difference.

No, it isn't data proving that your idea will not have decent gains, but for me, it's enough to show that your idea has been thought of, and massively tweaked and improved to get the gains that would be worthwhile.

Only because I have to. Now where is the "data"

Please post and take the Supra!

Where is your data?

You are adamant this is will work. You deny everyone's posts and say they are wrong and you are right.

Where is your data?

People have shown you various different data from different sources and methods that are and we're better than yours and didn't come about.

So where is your data data data data????

Come on we need data

You sound like Obama! "barmin mad" I tell ya.

Meaningless and irrelevant

Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians!

Meaningless and irrelevant, also incomprehensible

Practical data required and she's yours! In theory we are told that we're out of recession but does it really feel like it on the streets? No :cool:

Meaningless and irrelevant.

You've addressed none of my points, provided no data or figures yourself (the burden of proof is on the proposer), refuted none of my statements, and can't retrofit in any further caveats or conditions, so I feel absolutely no reason to provide or expand anything more. In fact I'm not quite sure how much more proof you need beyond "the aircon doesn't run at WOT".

I've fulfilled all your conditions (and more), car please :)

Just noticed this is in technical :shock:

I'd move it out but I'm actually using technical stuff to win a car prove why it can't be done. Also if I just shovel it out into off-topic I may be accused of bias or something (logic is in short supply on one side of the fence it appears) :)

The mod:

If a custom pipe was made and a feed taken from one of the 2 drivers vents (behind the dash of course) and then channeled through along the inner wing and pointed at the air intake filter, surely that would give a fantastic response even in high temps? yes? Just crank up the air con and pedal to the floor!

The wager:

The mod, which I now have global rights on , will without a shadow of a doubt work. "I will give my Supra away if anyone can prove me wrong"

Why you lost:

Just crank up the air con and pedal to the floor

Pedal to the floor disables the aircon.

End of story

Give Ian your car.

I see it states the OP is in London, does Ian need help collecting the car?! :D

Probably, from a legal standpoint, but I'd say even the crappiest solicitor could win this case in court :D

This thread is afteral a legal binding contract ;)

Probably, from a legal standpoint, but I'd say even the crappiest solicitor could win this case in court :D

This thread is afteral a legal binding contract ;)

I hope he knows that.... we have enough witnesses on this forum.... I actually work for a global law firm if Ian needs help... again :D

i tried this on the 3sgte engines we were doing. it might be totally different with the supra.

but my findings on this were the different between mechanical power loss of running the aircon system compared to the actual gain of the cold intake air. And what we found was the mechanical loose outweighed the gains of the colder air intake air.

Hope thats helps

Tim

Right I'm back, some serious comments posted!!

But as per usual everyone just blabbing on like they know it all, still no factual data. Regardless, guys and girls, the car has now gone! I'm now the proud owner of an S Class Mercedes.