The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air con mod idea, increase bhp for free!!

Arron

Right then, with the high temperatures lately, the supra turbo system is no-where near as great compared to cold temps (dense air). And the great dense air is usually available when the roads are unsafe or it's unsafe to travel at high speeds. That said, we don't get the best pleasure from performance when the car wants to.

I had a great idea, some may choose to differ but give me a second guys..

If a custom pipe was made and a feed taken from one of the 2 drivers vents (behind the dash of course) and then channeled through along the inner wing and pointed at the air intake filter, surely that would give a fantastic response even in high temps? yes? Just crank up the air con and pedal to the floor! For those of you critics you could add a shut off valve so hot air is not channeled through during winter when the warm heater is required ;)

Crazy but a fantastic idea mi thinks! :D Any feedback or comments please :D

We all know what the Supra is like when the air is nice and dense! what a cool feature to add some cheap but awesome bhp during summer

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would be better off having an airbox that the filter was mounted in and then use an ac matrix similar to the one inside the car.

Air going into the engine gets chilled first as it goes past the matrix :)

Blowing cold air on the filter won't do much as it won't be able to keep up with engine demand. ;)

Haha... Doc Brown off back to the future ;)

Im no car wizard so dont know the ins and outs, but with my limited knowledge I think it would work! Not sure if enough air would be blow in fast enough tho.

Re. temps, my 2nd week of ownership was that mad 30 degree humid horrible week we had a couple of weeks back, I thought my turbos had broke lol. Its was crazy how different the power was!

Damp cool are right now - :)

True :cool:

You would be better off having an airbox that the filter was mounted in and then use an ac matrix similar to the one inside the car.

Blowing cold air on the filter won't do much as it won't be able to keep up with engine demand. ;)

Listen to the man. If Lee says no point, there's no point ;)

No much, I was doing 140 today with air con on, kick down at 110 and the car was eating up the road. At low speeds I agree there would be a marginal difference but not at high speeds when the sheer momentum of the car would just take over :)

the aircon robs hp anyway. it would be much easier to remove it. i think you would see similar results in bhp.

- - - Updated - - -

lol

- - - Updated - - -

Obama said Guantanamo would close down, but has it?

Listen to the man. If Lee says no point, there's no point ;)

Trust me with a few minor tweaks it's an awesome idea. Obviously the ac on it's own wont be sufficient!! No way. However it will make driving in summer so much more fun that's a 100% surety

Haha... Doc Brown off back to the future ;)

Im no car wizard so dont know the ins and outs, but with my limited knowledge I think it would work! Not sure if enough air would be blow in fast enough tho.

Re. temps, my 2nd week of ownership was that mad 30 degree humid horrible week we had a couple of weeks back, I thought my turbos had broke lol. Its was crazy how different the power was!

Damp cool are right now - :)

No way! My air con throws out really, really cold air (topped every year), ditching 15-20 kg of an aircon system which would make driving a supra a pleasure in summer is no comparison. It's a myth, only at low mph's it would affect bhp, but we're talking pedal to the metal baby lol

the aircon robs hp anyway. it would be much easier to remove it. i think you would see similar results in bhp.

Cooling intake charge is one of the best ways to increase performance, as your improving the system and components you already have.

The only thing is, by cooling with co2 or aircon systems really you want to make sure your optimising heat surrounds and fuel temps, and ducting (ask duct-king slutters for more info :D)

Though. If this hasn't been done before, and you fancied a challenge. Providing data with and without system activation could be a great comparison? As without it's merely guess work again if it would work or not.

Data is power.

My car is up for sale so cannot try it on her :search: I think apart from the tricky pipework to the engine bay it's a breeze. After taking into account the comments I would definitely attach the pipe to the standard airbox system but have the pipe coming into the airbox at a 45 degree angle (from back of car) so as to avoid "over-sucking" (just this once lol) from the air con system. Agree, without data it's pointless, but i would put my last dollar on it that it will make a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Cooling intake charge is one of the best ways to increase performance, as your improving the system and components you already have.

The only thing is, by cooling with co2 or aircon systems really you want to make sure your optimising heat surrounds and fuel temps, and ducting (ask duct-king slutters for more info :D)

Though. If this hasn't been done before, and you fancied a challenge. Providing data with and without system activation could be a great comparison? As without it's merely guess work again if it would work or not.

Data is power.

Guest Roger NE

Interesting idea . . . as some have said, you'd really have to put it on a Dyno to really see what the difference was. I would have also thought you'd get more power gain on an N/A than a Turbo engine.

But the basic concept is why I've always thought it stupid that some people put aftermarket air filters inside the engine bay, sucking all that hot air into the intake . . . rather than the stock filter system sucking (and ramming) nice cold air from the front of the car !

Couldn't agree with you more. However, I don't think dyno would be necessary as you would definitely "Feel" the difference when it wakes up. But yes dyno would be beneficial for the "data" back up

Interesting idea . . . as some have said, you'd really have to put it on a Dyno to really see what the difference was. I would have also thought you'd get more power gain on an N/A than a Turbo engine.

But the basic concept is why I've always thought it stupid that some people put aftermarket air filters inside the engine bay, sucking all that hot air into the intake . . . rather than the stock filter system sucking (and ramming) nice cold air from the front of the car !

Guest Roger NE

Surely it's only 3,750 litres (per minute) at 5,000 RPM? But even so, that's one of the things I was thinking earlier too.

You don't get something for nothing . . . so the power (from the engine) required to cool that much air would surely outweigh any power gains.

It's a bit like these Electric Superchargers . . . the only way they MAY work is powering them off a battery which is only used during boost/acceleration and then only connected to the Alternator and re-charged during cruising.

Surely it's only 3,750 litres (per minute) at 5,000 RPM? But even so, that's one of the things I was thinking earlier too.

You don't get something for nothing . . . so the power (from the engine) required to cool that much air would surely outweigh any power gains.

It's a bit like these Electric Superchargers . . . the only way they MAY work is powering them off a battery which is only used during boost/acceleration and then only connected to the Alternator and re-charged during cruising.

I could well be wrong (and probably am), but I was basing on 3litres x 1 revolution per min = 3 litres and therefor 5,000 revolutions would be 15,000 litres given that the volume of fuel injected is negligable and a little bit if the air is pressurised on boost?