The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox issues - Very noisy!

Pig

I recently purchased a gearbox and had it fitted on tuesday. Unfortunately not all has gone to plan and the gearbox sounds like a bag of nails!

I have been out in the car an taken a couple of videos which are not very good - Advice on taking a better video will be appreciated.

The gearbox has a TRD mount which apparently can make it noisier?

The problem is that I could hear the difference straight away - Very noisy compared to the last box.

When you first touch the throttle it sounds very noisey and like metal all meeting metal.

Its mainly obvious when lifting off or putting down the clutch at high revs. it sounds like everything is still spinning - please help as I dont know what to do.

I have purchased the box off a member that said to box was fine when it left his car about 3 weeks ago and it now sounds horrendous in my car.

Previous box - V160 J spec this box is a V160 UK spec (if that makes any difference) - The only difference is the mount.

Its worth noting that I run an HKS twin plate which has always been rattly but the garage did not make any adjustments to the clutch.

A couple of videos:

Note - there is a noise on the video which is coins moving in the ashtray or whatever it is which is where the phone was placed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHk9OXSLXE0

Parking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF67KAhoj5M

For the record, my old box has gone off for rebuild and I wont be using the car till I know whats going on

Edited by Pig (see edit history)

2 things to note here

-The TRD gear box mount really does amplify gearbox noises, mine has this and it is loud and rattly and also makes a grinding noise up to circa 3k RPM

-Gearbox oil, Toyota state to run their stuff which is very thin(I, again, have this in mine), but after spending a stupid amount of money on gearbox oil, I have found that this is not what you want, speaking to Chris Wilson, I need much thicker stuff, which will also quieten the gearbox down A LOT.

Those 2 things will make a massive impact on the gearbox noise, I'd start by changing the oil and trying a standard mount, I doubt there is anything wrong with gearbox, it's just a very rattly set up.

Also, what flywheel do you have?

hi guys the gearbox in question was mine I explained to the buyer it was fine on my car I fitted the trd mount and was warned myself on here bout noise issues but I never had any so must of been lucky or my exhaust was so noisy I couldn't hear the amplified noise, regarding oil It has the V160 OIL changed prior to my purchase of car, as keron says and I suggested put a stock mount back on and you will be fine

hi guys the gearbox in question was mine I explained to the buyer it was fine on my car I fitted the trd mount and was warned myself on here bout noise issues but I never had any so must of been lucky or my exhaust was so noisy I couldn't hear the amplified noise, regarding oil It has the V160 OIL changed prior to my purchase of car, as keron says and I suggested put a stock mount back on and you will be fine

Hi Paul,

I'm glad you have seen this as I was going to ask if you had watched the video.

Please can you confirm which oil it has in it.

Thanks

Jon

Hi Paul,

I'm glad you have seen this as I was going to ask if you had watched the video.

Please can you confirm which oil it has in it.

Thanks

Jon

had the v160 oil when I bought car then when I fitted the stroker engine I replaced with

Royal Purple SYNCHROMAX

Pig, had worries bout my trans as well. Have metal on metal sound from on throttle to off throttle and vice versa, when shutting off the car it sounds like marbles in a tin can. I also have TRD mount. Really worried me until I replaced the stock flywheel with a new stock unit before Dragonball and the sounds were still there. I can't remember who it was that showed me in France but they had the exact same noises. I've done tons of research and even found on supraforums someone who has replaced every stock drivetrain component multiple times trying to rid the noise with no success. I can't fathom how it came from the factory w/o these noises but seems to be unavoidable the older the cars get. If you do happen to find the culprit, please keep me informed but everything I've read and heard is this is just par for the course.

I have this problem I have the TRD mount. I used to have a RPS clutch and alloy flywheel and the noise was really bad. I then changed to a competition clutch with a still flywheel it only rattles now at low RPM and at idle. The noise I used to have sounded a lot like yours and I have been driving it for the last 3 years with no issues apart from the noise. I have just been told by a well know member and someone how knows their stuff that the stock duel mass can hold 600bhp so might be going back to that with a uprated clutch to see if the noise stops

The noise of the clutch rattling doesn't bother me. I have had it for years.

My gearbox has gone off for rebuild. Will wait till that gets back then fit this gearbox with a std gearbox mount and then decide which box to keep.

General consensus seems to be that TRD mounts make the gearbox sound like its broken... Why would anyone run one?

The noise of the clutch rattling doesn't bother me. I have had it for years.

My gearbox has gone off for rebuild. Will wait till that gets back then fit this gearbox with a std gearbox mount and then decide which box to keep.

General consensus seems to be that TRD mounts make the gearbox sound like its broken... Why would anyone run one?

Depends on your power output I suppose. If not looking at huge power I'm sure the stock will do fine

I brought the car back from the garage today for some trouble shooting - it turned out to be a spark plug FFS all that worrying.

The box is still noisy but now works fine where before it was horrendous!

Will change mount to help with the noise. Always start with the simple things. :)