The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1st turbo boost increase

Guest Benny9

Guest Benny9

Hi All

I was wondering if anything can be done to increase the boost on the 1st turbo safely? I found a post on the forum dated a while back regarding an ebv mod? but people seemed to suggest it wasn't effective/safe though? has anyone done this or can suggest another route? I have gone bpu and the lack of power from the 1st is really noticeable. many thanks in advance.

Guest Benny9

Thanks Supranature, Yep seen that link a while back before bpu, i guess my 1st turbo is fine it just seems a bit tame compared to the pull at 4k, maybe i haven't searched hard enough on the forum but there doesn't seem to be many people talking about it as a great mod after bpu. Have you done this to you're sup? do you know if there is any drawbacks? cheers

Guest Benny9

Cheers Nic, thats what i was worried about, 1st turbo going pop. guess i will have to live with it :( but it does make the 4k pull feel a bit more epic :)

Cheers Nic, thats what i was worried about, 1st turbo going pop. guess i will have to live with it :( but it does make the 4k pull feel a bit more epic :)

At BPU levels of performance the 1st turbo should spool up very quickly and make around 0.7-0.8bar, at 3.5+K there is a slight dip in power as the 2nd turbo comes online, then the car should pull strongly to close to the redline. Is this how your car is performing?

Thanks Supranature, Yep seen that link a while back before bpu, i guess my 1st turbo is fine it just seems a bit tame compared to the pull at 4k, maybe i haven't searched hard enough on the forum but there doesn't seem to be many people talking about it as a great mod after bpu. Have you done this to you're sup? do you know if there is any drawbacks? cheers

As the mod uses a bleed valve on the first turbo, you can adjust it to run at normal boost for everyday use, then crank it up for the occasional track use. Bear in mind launch power is only as good as conditions,tyres,suspension and skill allow.

It would be futile to increase boost on number 1 in damp or wet conditions, or with crap tyres in the dry.

Guest Benny9
At BPU levels of performance the 1st turbo should spool up very quickly and make around 0.7-0.8bar, at 3.5+K there is a slight dip in power as the 2nd turbo comes online, then the car should pull strongly to close to the redline. Is this how your car is performing?

Yes as above, only it seems that my power dip seems to last from about 3.2k - 4K? i've got both de-cat pipes with restrictor and a custom exhaust fitted by previous owner, but the exhaust has 2 silencer boxes ( very quiet ) maybe its a bit restrictive and needs a decent cat back?