The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch (or possibly gearbox?) issue

James

Encountered some problems today with the car - I was pulling up to a set of traffic lights and the car simply refused to go into 1st gear. I ended up turning the engine off and it went into gear pretty much no problem at all. Once I got going (clutch biting as normal) I attempted to shift up to 2nd and it just wouldn't go. I then tried to put it back to 1st (revs weren't too high) and it didn't like that either. Came to a halt and had the same issue and had to turn the engine off again.

Started up in 1st with the clutch depressed and the revs dipped considerably and the clutch started to burn a bit. Managed to take off (biting alright again) and I have then been keeping it in 1st.

Managed to continue to travel in 1st (window down, waving people past as I didn't want to sit at 6k RPM :lol: ) for a good while as I couldn't put it into 2nd at all. Had to force 3rd as well but it went. Until there was another set of lights by which time I couldn't change back down without turning the engine off yet again.

The next time I was at the lights the car almost struggled to start and was jumping forward a lot even with the clutch fully depressed (I hadn't started moving yet but the car was jumping so I had to slam the brakes and pretty much stalled). Got going, staying in 1st once again, and then the car started freaking out and 'kangaroo-ing' for lack of a better term.

Has anyone experienced this before? (I did a search and didn't find anything exactly the same). I'm hoping that it is either just a clutch or something clutch related that requires changing/fixing rather than the gearbox?

Thanks very much!

If its jumping forward with your foot fully on the the peddle then the clutch is shot, you might get away with adjusting the peddle for a bit more travel to get you home.

Cheers for that Jamie, I expected it to be the clutch but was just hoping to confirm that it ISN'T the gearbox :)