The mkiv Supra Owners Club

EGT's over 1000 C - Turbo glowing

Pig

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of my old tuned Fiesta RST running very high boost- that used to do that after a few high-speed runs, used to light cigarettes off it as a party trick, the things you do when you're young and stupid eh :D

I never did find the cause, as I blew it up on a private road at 140 badgers per hour, sprayed oil all over the windscreen through the bonnet vents. So, I'm guessing a glowing turbo isn't particularly good for engine longevity :)

what about your oil temp, is that high, I think you need to get this mapped asap as I think it must be running lean , to get that hot ,what fans have you got not silly twin fans from ebay, I had them fitted to mine for a weekend and saw my engine cook,

Oil temp was 126 so pretty high - the highest I have seen is 134 but that was on a track.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I did a high speed run on a test track on the way home.

Also just checked my boost controller and the peak is 1.85 bar and that was in the 6th gear pull up to about 6000rpm.

That answers that question as to why it was so bad.

Reference the fans, I have always stuck with the stock fan although I have a decent inter cooler and rad and an 18row oil cooler. Intake temps are always nice and low - water temp is fine with general driving although it has been known to boil when drifting.

No use till injectors cleaned as I know I have an issue there!

Good job I spent so much on good engine parts!

Thanks for the offers for help on work - I may well send the car to Supraloopy for work but that depends on if I want to spend the time working on it - needs lots doing at the moment.

Edited by Pig (see edit history)

It's a fully built engine

Even with a built engine 1000+C temps in the downpipe on multiple runs would have melted something or caused det, which was why I questioned the accuracy of the gauge readings.

I got these for det cans on recommendation from Dude years ago. They are still going strong and have used them for other investigative work as well, like wheel bearings, pulley bearings etc..

http://www.directsupplyukltd.co.uk/products/steelman-electronic-stethoscope-ste06606/347/

Also for reference I see 650degC before the turbo on fast cruise, and about 900 if that on boost. 1000degC after the turbo seems to be on borrowed time to me.

CW will sort the injector flow testing and cleaning for you. Removal is indeed a pain :)

A hard run turbo will get that hot (visually) on track. BUT you are a gnat's whisker from an oil fire without a turbine housing blanket and that oil feed. Modern oils and Ni-Resist turbine housings will survive 1000C, but it's on the extreme edge, and if the EGT is reading right, and is AFTER the turbine (useless, useless....) it's crazy hot before it. You are really wanting to read in cylinder temps, but no one outside engine manufacturers really do that, so you need to read as near the exhaust valves as possible. TOTALLY pointless reading after the turbo.

A hard run turbo will get that hot (visually) on track. BUT you are a gnat's whisker from an oil fire without a turbine housing blanket and that oil feed. Modern oils and Ni-Resist turbine housings will survive 1000C, but it's on the extreme edge, and if the EGT is reading right, and is AFTER the turbine (useless, useless....) it's crazy hot before it. You are really wanting to read in cylinder temps, but no one outside engine manufacturers really do that, so you need to read as near the exhaust valves as possible. TOTALLY pointless reading after the turbo.

The turbo blanket was removed for the pics and was holding the heat in very well.

Injectors are coming out to see where we go with that. Maybe nic is right and the gauge has done its time. Who knows!

Time will tell - watch this space. I need a new boost sensor so may get rid of the EGT if its useless where it is... I don't want to drill into the manifold.

I don't see why the gauge would suddenly start reading high though.. Yes stop reading but not read wrong?

It's starting to annoy me now - may start striping tomorrow.

I got these for det cans on recommendation from Dude years ago. They are still going strong and have used them for other investigative work as well, like wheel bearings, pulley bearings etc..

http://www.directsupplyukltd.co.uk/products/steelman-electronic-stethoscope-ste06606/347/

Also for reference I see 650degC before the turbo on fast cruise, and about 900 if that on boost. 1000degC after the turbo seems to be on borrowed time to me.

CW will sort the injector flow testing and cleaning for you. Removal is indeed a pain :)

They look ace! I think I will go with that. Buy once and keep forever.

My temps have never been that low and always measured after turbo. Bear in mind I am talking post turbo when bpu, single and then single again and since this problem.

Time will now tell. I am now a bit concerned as 1000 is the cut off point but not after the turbo where temps are at least 200 lower.

Oh well. 1 thing at a time.

Drill the manifold and have a half inch thick stainless boss welded in and thread it for the EGT probe. You MUST use an Inconel probe, especially at those potential temps. You may find the sensor is shot. If you want to mail it me I can test it. I can also supply proper Inconel probes from stock, with adaptors and proper K type terminations. Most of the probes with the cheaper EGT gauges are pretty rubbish, and stainless steel, to boot.

- - - Updated - - -

Drill the manifold and have a half inch thick stainless boss welded in and thread it for the EGT probe. You MUST use an Inconel probe, especially at those potential temps. You may find the sensor is shot. If you want to mail it me I can test it. I can also supply proper Inconel probes from stock, with adaptors and proper K type terminations. Most of the probes with the cheaper EGT gauges are pretty rubbish, and stainless steel, to boot.

I will leave a job like that on the manifold to the professionals! That would be a huge amount of work for me.

This is the gauge that I bought and makes for interesting reading. (http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/(S(b20q0lcwppy3bjjnyhvdf30x))/design/productdetails/default.aspx?objid=205)

1. K type stainless steel thermocouple probe sensor - Good or bad?

2. Reads up to 1300 but mine is stopping at 1007.... I have had mine for years so it maybe that has increased over time.

Ill get it sent to you with the injectors (assuming ok to send you them). If the thermocouple has failed then I will start from scratch as the boost sensor has failed and that alone is about £150 to replace.

Anyone got chris wilsons address they can pm me. Package of injectors ready to go

Thanks Adam - Chris (Package on its way, Ill be in touch over the next few days)

Thanks

Jon

P.S - Anyone considering taking your injectors out, not too bad 1.5 hours to get them out but I am thinking 2.5 hours to get them back in. A few fiddly bits, especially if you have an aftermarket fuel rail!

Edited by Pig (see edit history)

I wonder why anyone hasnt pointed this out.. but how much timing are you running?

If you arent running enough timing and keeping it on the safe side, you will have alot higher EGT's. So say if you have 10-12 degrees at 15psi, you need to be running more. Of course mapping with some det cans. I doubt it's the injectors, usually if you are running lean, you will melt the piston and if you are running extremely lean, EGT's will actually be lower.

Edited by Krister (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

An update on this. Its been a while as I haven't had time to fit the injectors since getting them back.

I sent the injectors off for cleaning and the temp sensor for checking.

The temp sensor IS over reading. That and the boost gauge are knackered so time to replace.

Now that the injectors are back in and cleaned I am not having the problem that I was having on cruise so there was clearly an issue with them sticking randomly.

I gave the car a run today and all seemed fine (no boiling hot red turbo) but I haven't driven it like I'm on a track as I have recently been in trouble with the police so have to stop driving like an idiot for a while.

Next step is to change the gearbox, brake disks and pads (cracking). Replace boost and temp sensor and then look into what mapping is required.