The mkiv Supra Owners Club

T2 MSW Widebody Project

T2 MSW

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? having no thermostat would not direct water correctly round the waterways?

The function of the thermostat (when one is fitted I might add) is to prevent the flow of coolant to the radiator until the engine is warmed up.

The purpose being to get the engine up to temperature as quickly as possible, not to cool the engine down as is the common misconception.

Having no thermostat would just mean the car takes longer to get up to temperature as coolant will be flowing through the rad straight from start up.

Edited by Rich.2211 (see edit history)

Well I'm unsure what else it can be. There is no airlock. The water is moved round the system.

only other thing it could be is damage to the water pump or the fans arnt pulling air through the radiator.

What at I dont understand is stationary that temp stays dead on 89-90 degrees. It's inly when driving it goes up and this is not on boost either.

Those shrouds are crap, when stationary they are great as they allow the fans to suck air through the two fan aperatures.

However once moving they block off a large amount of the rear surface area at the back of the rad. I'd suggest that's your problem. With a large FMIC and no ducting it will only compound the issue.

Maybe a silly question but its not just a duff temp sensor is it.? And as said if it has no state it will take ages to heat up hence not much heat in coming out the heater in the car

I would also make sure your rad cap fits right as will also cause this as the system is designed to be pressureisd , also what coolant are you running at the moment mate? ,

Edited by supra matt (see edit history)

So looks like the cooling issue is down to a failed head gasket. So disappointed its unreal and right now no idea what to do with it.

Ive ordered a block tester to verify what I thinks wrong with it. If that shows up gasses in the water ill pull the head and have a look then decide what to do with it :(

Oil cap was just getting worse and worse when the new coolant was put in today. Turned the car off before it got anywhere near temp as oil cap was just full of white gunk.

Edited by T2 MSW (see edit history)

:( Ouch gutted for you Mike, the head gasket didn't last long im assuming it was a heavy duty one too

Fingers crossed you can get it fixed easy enough

Cheers

-Ian-

Stock toyota one mate. There really should be no reason to use anything else. I can only think one of the surfaces was not true, even though I had the head skimmed or its overheated and warped the head.

Not an easy fix and I'm not sure I can be bothered :(

Stock toyota one mate. There really should be no reason to use anything else. I can only think one of the surfaces was not true, even though I had the head skimmed or its overheated and warped the head.

Not an easy fix and I'm not sure I can be bothered :(

What head studs did you put in, and is it a standard longblock?

Standard long block yes and head studs were L19s

Just wondering three things. Do you know the torque wrench you used was calibrated correctly, and what torque did you do them up to? in addition, although I'm not sure about the L19's, some ARP head studs come with smaller than standard head washers. The smaller washers can dig into the head and cause the head to lift under high boost.

I have an ARP head kit in the garage at the moment which definitely has the smaller washers, hence I'll be re-using my stock washers when I fit them. Worth a check!

Not calibrated no, however I used 2 wretches to check them.

think they were torqued in order through 30, 60 then 90 but it's in this thread somewhere so I'll check.

Do do you know the diameter of the stock washers and I'll check when I decide what I'm doing with it?

edit - just checked the above is correct in ft/lbs

Edited by T2 MSW (see edit history)

Sorry to see this mate but if it was head gasket would it not of been picked up on the dyno at your power ? you need to get a leak down test done and also do a compression test .

Yeah waiting for a block tester and then I'm going to do tests and take it from there.