The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Overheating Problem!!!

Why T

Hope you get this sorted, might be an idea to replace all the coolant and flush the radiator out with a hosepipe from the top and bottom. When I did mine a while back it flushed out around 2 foot of electrical tape that had somehow found its way in there, not good! Put the car on a slope when you refill the rad and run it with the cap off for a moment to let any air locks clear easily. I replaced my rad cap when I had exactly the same issues, convinced it was an head gasket failure... all fine now :)

Hope you get this sorted, might be an idea to replace all the coolant and flush the radiator out with a hosepipe from the top and bottom. When I did mine a while back it flushed out around 2 foot of electrical tape that had somehow found its way in there, not good! Put the car on a slope when you refill the rad and run it with the cap off for a moment to let any air locks clear easily. I replaced my rad cap when I had exactly the same issues, convinced it was an head gasket failure... all fine now :)

Thanks. Ill look to try this next week when my reme mates are back from race wars. How much coolant does the engine hold when empty?

I think they're quite cheap from Toyota, replace it for piece of mind. But I doubt its that.. Flush the coolant a.s.a.p as you said you put water in. I read the Toyota 'RED' coolant does not react well with tap water don't know how true it is?

Edited by Mace (see edit history)

Right. This is annoying me now so what im gonna do is this.

First off buy a new ally radiator from whifbitz. Not his own one but the other one. Or srds. I dont know what one is better.

Also a now water pump.

New trd thermostat

New samco rad hoses

And already got a blitz 1.3bar rad cap.

Give it a full system clean then add toyota red coolant.

Fingers crossed this will sort it.

Anyone think of anything else?

To be fair, and I'm not taking the piss, but if you're checking fuses for an overheating problem, book it into a garage for diagnosis and repair. It'll be the quickest and easiest way and will cost you no more than it will if you cock it up doing it yourself.

Without fail oon this forum there is always one

Huh????.........

If its with regards to Bens comment, I fully agree. Much better to have someone who knows what they are doing do it, than risk doing it yourself and doing more damage.

As you are going to Kenya on exercise, you are evidently in the forces. Speak to the guys down at your LAD. If they are anything like the guys we have, for a box of biscuits, they'll compression test and sniff test it for you.

Plus, more than likely, for half the price of a garage, do the head gasket for you too.

Edited by listy (see edit history)

To be fair IF it had electric fans checking fuses is not a bad idea , I had a fan fuse blow on my cleo which caused over heating

if i drove at under 3000rpm it wouldn't steam up but if i went over it just once it would turn into a steam train

Whilst driving. So surely there should be air being rammed through the rad. So it's unlikely that electric fans would be kicked in.

Without fail oon this forum there is always one

:blink:

Makes you wonder why you try and help:rolleyes:

To be fair IF it had electric fans checking fuses is not a bad idea , I had a fan fuse blow on my cleo which caused over heating

It has the std viscous fan apparently, i asked if it was functioning OK, and also added was he sure there was more resistance when hot , but was ignored, so if it hasn't been checked correctly then its a possible cause, he seems to have checked most other things except water pump and head gasket