The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Overheating Problem!!!

Why T

Hey guys,

Just drove my new supra all the way to Germany, (hannover). She overheated 5 times. I.E steam from the overflow cap. Both pipes are warm, No heating or a/c in the car. all i kept doing was refilling with water as that's all i had.

The odd thing is that if i drove at under 3000rpm it wouldn't steam up but if i went over it just once it would turn into a steam train. The needle only went up once when i first noticed it but after that i always noticed it getting rid of all the coolant/water before it overheated.

Checked all the fuses.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!

Edited by Tyson
Please use a more accurate title otherwise people will just not bother looking (see edit history)

Another vote here for the rad cap, had one go on mine a long time ago and it was the same symptoms. Is it a stock one? The little plastic seal does have a habit of going brittle and breaking up, should be an easy spot :)

:rlol:

Fantastic.

Hey not all of us are experts yea. I didnt know so I did what I knew.

- - - Updated - - -

Another vote here for the rad cap, had one go on mine a long time ago and it was the same symptoms. Is it a stock one? The little plastic seal does have a habit of going brittle and breaking up, should be an easy spot :)

Yea origional ad cap. Single supra

The oil is fine. so glad its not that. I gave the top rad pipe a squeeze al over last night and found that it might be partially blocked so gonna take it off tonight and give it a clean out. Gonna bleed it next week aswell.

I would empty the system out and refill it. If you've been chucking water in everytime it went low and the cap was faulty you could have drawn air into the system pretty easily...

The system self bleeds so pointless emptying it.

Just top up the rad to the neck and also fill the expansion tank to approx

half way.

As the coolant heats up its forced out into the expansion tank

and is then drawn back in as it cools.

Can't see it being a partially blocked top rad pipe, have you checked

the pipe from the rad to the expansion tank isn't blocked

Did you fit an OE rad cap from Toyota ?

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

you sure that it was not just preasurised like normal

No as it was only one part of it that felt blocked

- - - Updated - - -

Have you checked the std viscous fan is working correctly when the RPM is up, as if faulty it can cause overheat, other than that i would take a look at the water pump.

Seams like it works fine. Not damaged in anyway.

Have you checked the std viscous fan is working correctly when the RPM is up, as if faulty it can cause overheat, other than that i would take a look at the water pump.

The system self bleeds so pointless emptying it.

Just top up the rad to the neck and also fill the expansion tank to approx

half way.

As the coolant heats up its forced out into the expansion tank

and is then drawn back in as it cools.

Can't see it being a partially blocked top rad pipe, have you checked

the pipe from the rad to the expansion tank isn't blocked

Did you fit an OE rad cap from Toyota ?

I did fit one. Brand new from toyota. Ill look at all the pipes later to se if its that.

Check to see how much resistance there is to turning when hot and cold, with the engine off obviously, it can look like its running fine, but when the engine is hot its not actually turning fast enough to cool adequately.