The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-t Water/Meth Injection Thread

Noz

Well I took the leap and bought myself the HFS-5 setup from Aquamist (brand new thanks to Ian C). I've decided to go with two jets, 0.8mm on the Y piece on the NA intake system.

Though for my want of it looking pretty, I must give in to temptation and take advice where it is given, so the per cylinder setup it scrapped for the good of performance.

The HFS-5 system (for those who don't know) introduces water/meth injection at a ratio of fuel injection. It moniters flow of fuel and increases the WM injection corrospondingly. Very clever, and a much better setup than an ON/OFF system which really should be mapped in to reduce problems from the surge of WM.

The meth gauge is a work of art. Sell them on eBay for 190 quid if you want a nice ornament!

The kit comes with lots of goodies, hoses and wires. I'm still going to need a few pneumatic adapters to position the nozzles correctly.

Sir David P has lent me a M8 x 0.75pitch tap so once I've finishing port/polishing the Y branch I will set to installing the nozzles.

Manifold is off, and EGT sensor should be installed in the next few weeks. I'd like to try and just use water first as a comparison, I can't wait to get this setup running!

Reducing pressure will definitely effect the atomization at the jet, (just like a fuel injector) they are designed to run at an optimum pressure, the usually way of running a mapped injection time is using the high speed valve ( i think aquamist have changed the name and function slightly but its still amounts to the same thing)

Why do you want to change the flow rate?

I was just curious to how using a larger sized nozzle would work, then reducing pressure to get the optimised flow.

I know the easiest thing to do, would be reduce the nozzle size or have a combination of nozzles. I was just curious to how it would affect it and wanted someone elses opinion. I was thinking the spready pattern would definitely change, so glad you agree.

Not something I'm thinking of doing, as the fine tweaks will unlikely be noticable.

• 4 weeks later...

would love to se an update on this Noz but i know your busy with drive train issues.

Are you using the stock washer bottle for your application or are you mounting a tank elsewhere. Whilst my ITB setup is going to take the rest of the year i thought before i head back down to AUSTEC, once ive sorted my fueling i could introduce a water meth kit. I have been looking at the AEM range with its "Boost safe" safety feature.

Also i read that injecting pre turbo i.e into the turbo intake can increase turbo performance by allowing it to spin up faster!? have you read anything similar?

I have read many articles on the improve of performance with pre-turbo nozzles. I have never read anything about the increase of turbine speed though.

I have to admit, the thermal dynamics does make sense cooling intake charges pre-turbo. I read somewhere that with an optimum setup, the intercooler can actually warm the air up due to performing charge cool effects!

The meth will go on after the porting. I'm installing the meth gauge at the moment, and waiting for the diff to arrive to get back in motion.

The AEM setups (as with Devils own) have an ON/OFF setup. Aquamyst systems match fuel duty (e.g. 10/15%) which is a much better setup. THOUGH, aem setups have been proven to work. So without finding an aquamyst kit I'd go down that road.

The first thing I can recommend is getting an EGT gauge. You may have awesome flow and a perfect intercooler (within reason) giving you no problems. A lot of people in the UK claim not to even need it, which most the time is true. I have actually found I don't have EGT problems, even at 18psi. Though I don't get there until later in the rev range, which is why my setup works. I don't hit 18psi then stay in boost, it gradually increases.

My reason now is for safeguard, and more advanced timing.

I have a friend with some handy bottles spare. He's a good guy, and helping me on my meth setup so I'll have a bottle in the boot no doubt. Washer bottles aren't what I'm after.

I have enough spare nozzles to try different locations for the pre-turbo setup. I will try two in the Y branch to begin with. 0.8mm nozzles. Then, I may reduce these down to 0.7 and try a pre-turbo nozzle, moniter the effect on the temperature of course. My problem is my ECU. I need to have data logging on the temperature to have hard evidence I'm making any ground with nozzle location.

Yea the injection ore turbo made sense to me but the increase in turbo spool up I couldn't work out. The aem kits have a progressive controller which seems to have a boost reference sensor which allows you to specify at what manifold pressure you want injection and at what rate. Another bonus is the boost safe cut out which grounds the system if there is a fault, I thought about running it to a relay and combining it with my electronic boost controller, when the boost safe grounds to the relay, it shuts off the power to the boost controller which in turn kills the boost and we run stock wastegate sting pressure only. The reason for me this year is to see what I can push the stock engine to but will be combined on next years build too. Looking forward to seeing your completion mate I also should go for a new clutch, plus I need to sort this pita fuelling issue so I'm a way off yet.