The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My engine build (Advice and info required)

Kaan W

Maybe an aftermarket one is easier for plumbing an FMIC.

But seriously, don't aftermarket ones come with bigger throttle diameters?

You can have any size throttle body you want but I think stock sized is best for most power goals IMO.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: Can you please explain to me why aftermarket manifolds don't help increase power? Will it not be a good idea as a forum to explain these things for people to learn?

Sure, it's because I'm wrong and I didn't read your thread properly. I thought you were talking about 'induction kits' as opposed to the stock intake system using the cold air box.

Some people run big power through the stock plenum.

Some say you have increased lag due to large plenums.

Concrete proofs (dyno test of different intake setups) are however missing.

I know that Jamie tested his old 67mm setup with stock intake vs GReddy plenum...and gained around 40bhp.

My old setup pushed 626 bhp on stock intake @1.5 bar, and 651rhhp @1.8 bar with GReddy plenum. How to compare bhp vs rhhp is another discussion topic.

I know that Jamie tested his old 67mm setup with stock intake vs GReddy plenum...and gained around 40bhp.

My old setup pushed 626 bhp on stock intake @1.5 bar, and 651rhhp @1.8 bar with GReddy plenum. How to compare bhp vs rhhp is another discussion topic.

Thats what I read, I would like to see the difference in gains on various manifolds for the same engine too.

Ive just been speaking with Sean at Titan and he said the billet mains would be pointless for my build so I will stick with the stock caps, you'll be ok though you have a room to grow with the 6 speed :D

Thats what I read, I would like to see the difference in gains on various manifolds for the same engine too.

Ive just been speaking with Sean at Titan and he said the billet mains would be pointless for my build so I will stick with the stock caps, you'll be ok though you have a room to grow with the 6 speed :D

Did he explain why they would be pointless?

Fair doo's - So what modifcations will you be doing to the engine block?

Just a general rebuild with some uprated parts as my engine's getting on a bit now. I will post in my project thread when the new parts arrive incase I change my mind again :)

I take it something else changed too? In my opinion there's no way that's possible!

I take it something else changed too? In my opinion there's no way that's possible!

At a total guess I think its more down to how much boost can be achieved without leaning out a particular cylinder from un even air distribution.

Sooo, after taking my time to decide on what parts to use bearing in mind my goals I have settled on, and ordered the following -

L19 Headstuds

ARP Main studs

Titan billet cam belt tensioner

Titan Crank pulley

Titan welded crank gear

New oil pump

New water pump

Full engine gasket set

CP 86.5mm 8.5:1 pistons

BC625+ Pro rods

Gates timing belt

ACL bearings

And some bling :D

The next plan is to have this lot sent off with my new block for machining and assembling ready for me to finally start building on. I will post updates in my project thread when this starts :)

this what you want Carrilo H-beam Conrods paul will do you a nice price .

Nice rods but as im not going for alot of power I think the rods ive ordered will be fine, rated at 1800hp (may be a little optamistic) but many people have used these on big power builds without issues if built correctly. If I insisted on having the best possible parts it will be a very expensive and overkill build for my goals.

I have used my RPS max 6 puck clutch with the RPS lightened flywheel. I liked it, and the slight rattle between 1800-2300 rpm isn't really that much.

My RPS triple carbon comes with a lightened flywheel as well...but I'm not bothered.

Luc

I have used my RPS max 6 puck clutch with the RPS lightened flywheel. I liked it, and the slight rattle between 1800-2300 rpm isn't really that much.

My RPS triple carbon comes with a lightened flywheel as well...but I'm not bothered.

Luc

I'm not bothered if it rattles slightly with the amount of other noises going on, does it rev noticeably quicker with the lightened flywheel?