The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My engine build (Advice and info required)

Kaan W

I'm not bothered if it rattles slightly with the amount of other noises going on, does it rev noticeably quicker with the lightened flywheel?

It's difficult to say. With a built engine with lighter rods, a fully balanced setup will certainly take benefit of a light flywheel.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not bothered if it rattles slightly with the amount of other noises going on, does it rev noticeably quicker with the lightened flywheel?

Yes I believe it does rev quicker, think JimoJames had one on his TT BPU Hybrid and told me it reved noticeably quicker, I might just be imagining this but I think he also said it gave him a bit more torque low down/better mid range. But I could just be imagining that as I said.

You will be bothered it shakes your nuts off, drives horrible. You want to eliminate as much noise as possible, my setup now is superb, when I was single I had awful shakes and noises! Especially from exhaust... Drove me wild.

Might have missed it but you thinking of going manual now?

It's difficult to say. With a built engine with lighter rods, a fully balanced setup will certainly take benefit of a light flywheel.

Yes I believe it does rev quicker, think JimoJames had one on his TT BPU Hybrid and told me it reved noticeably quicker, I might just be imagining this but I think he also said it gave him a bit more torque low down/better mid range. But I could just be imagining that as I said.

Cheers guys I will have to read up on them more and make my mind up :thumbs:

You will be bothered it shakes your nuts off, drives horrible. You want to eliminate as much noise as possible, my setup now is superb, when I was single I had awful shakes and noises! Especially from exhaust... Drove me wild.

Might have missed it but you thinking of going manual now?

Noooo way! I cant wait to see the strip with the new setup and the built auto ;)

What exhaust do you have now mate?

Just ordered some billet mains after all as i'll be going with a th400 conversion at some point then the tuning possibilities are endless. I dont know at the moment the aim of the finished setup but I think its best to do it right first time and not worry if I did want more power in the future.

The BC pro rods are very good, used them loads in big power builds including Jamie's and never had an issue.

Yes Carrillo are considered the best and I used them in my own engine but for the money the BC pro are a no brainer.

I wouldn't use a lightened flywheel with a single plate clutch

Get your self a decent multiplate clutch kit if your going for big power

The BC pro rods are very good, used them loads in big power builds including Jamie's and never had an issue.

Yes Carrillo are considered the best and I used them in my own engine but for the money the BC pro are a no brainer.

I wouldn't use a lightened flywheel with a single plate clutch

Get your self a decent multiplate clutch kit if your going for big power

Thanks for your input Lee, no need for a clutch mate I have a built auto soon to be th400 :)

Can anyone point me in the right direction im kind of swaying to go 3.4 at some point but not just yet, would be too much hassle and waste of money building the engine first with the parts ive ordered then maybe next year swap to a 3.4 crank and pistons?

Im right in thinking I can use the same rods right?

I may have a set of pistons and rods for sale soon as ive decided to take my time with the build and go for a stroked motor as I know i'll be kicking myself after if I didnt. The build is starting to get expensive pretty quickly but im in no rush to finish and I know it will be worth it in the end for future upgrades. I should be starting the build in a couple of months depending when the bits arrive :cool:

I may have a set of pistons and rods for sale soon as ive decided to take my time with the build and go for a stroked motor as I know i'll be kicking myself after if I didnt. The build is starting to get expensive pretty quickly but im in no rush to finish and I know it will be worth it in the end for future upgrades. I should be starting the build in a couple of months depending when the bits arrive :cool:

I'd be interested in the rods and pistons matey, give us a PM when your thinking of selling them, can't wait to see this when its done, gonna be a beast! :D

Got a HKS 3.4L on special offer at the moment

Snap it up lol.....

Pm'd

I'd be interested in the rods and pistons matey, give us a PM when your thinking of selling them, can't wait to see this when its done, gonna be a beast! :D

I'll let you know mate when they come :) It certainly will be a beast but not anytime soon lol.

Should be good, look forward to seeing this. Dont forget to keep your old main caps as they will be needed to setup for line boring the billet mains;)

Thanks for the info, I will make sure I keep them :)

You havent bought the HKS 3.4 stroker kit have you? :D

I'm just making my mind up ion different kits, but I considered it :D

Judging by the title change..... :D

Just please..........be more sensible this time ;)

Every mistake is a lesson learnt but I cant afford mistakes with the new build so I most certainly will :)

I have used my RPS max 6 puck clutch with the RPS lightened flywheel. I liked it, and the slight rattle between 1800-2300 rpm isn't really that much.

Luc

I'll have the above setup with a new RPS 6 puck composite clutch and plate and RPS flywheel for sale next week (although provisionally sold) as I just hated the rattling and I'm going back to stock for my power needs. The low down rattling at idle is horrible for me.

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

3.4 conversion.

Great plan Kaan ;)

Cheers Luc, im just trying to think of every possibiltiy to reduce lag and meet my goals with as small turbo as possible. Maybe a full 4" exhaust next and an aftermarket intake plenum to get the most from the PHR head ive got.