The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My engine build (Advice and info required)

Kaan W

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are only going for about 800 bhp you don't need a built engine , a stock engine will do just fine . you need 264 cams , L19 head bolts would be great, when using nos. I ran a stock lump for about 2 years at about , started at about 620bhp then 750bhp and then about 850-900 bhp with nos most of last year, with out a problem to the engine, and i have still got it kicking around , the only problem that i have had with a engine is a built engine. alot of guys over the pond just use stock lumps for the drag strip and get into the 9 sec . with out a built engine. if you were thinking of going over 800 bhp lets say 900 or more yes I would try and thind a good engine builder and have one built , but not just for the levals you are wanting. how meny stock lumps you can go through conpaired to a built engine 5-6 stock lumps that will be life time of your car, for sure. well that is what i think .

Personally I would go built engine, You dont want to push the stock engine to its limits at 700-750bhp because who knows what could happen with your luck Kaan ;) I think for this build you should do it right the first time and hopefully not have to worry about it, Gather as much infomation from everyone on here including the traders and dont cut any corners. We dont want to hear you moaning when a piston has gone through the block ;)

if you are only going for about 800 bhp you don't need a built engine , a stock engine will do just fine . you need 264 cams , L19 head bolts would be great, when using nos. I ran a stock lump for about 2 years at about , started at about 620bhp then 750bhp and then about 850-900 bhp with nos most of last year, with out a problem to the engine, and i have still got it kicking around , the only problem that i have had with a engine is a built engine. alot of guys over the pond just use stock lumps for the drag strip and get into the 9 sec . with out a built engine. if you were thinking of going over 800 bhp lets say 900 or more yes I would try and thind a good engine builder and have one built , but not just for the levals you are wanting. how meny stock lumps you can go through conpaired to a built engine 5-6 stock lumps that will be life time of your car, for sure. well that is what i think .

I see where your coming from and did think about leaving it stock but for what it costs I don't really wanna take the risk and be replacing engines every couple of years. Once it's built its a nice platform for almost anything and keeps the mind at rest everytime it's driven hard. I think running high boost and nitrous at an increased rev limit would make me cringe on a stock block. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Personally I would go built engine, You dont want to push the stock engine to its limits at 700-750bhp because who knows what could happen with your luck Kaan ;) I think for this build you should do it right the first time and hopefully not have to worry about it, Gather as much infomation from everyone on here including the traders and dont cut any corners. We dont want to hear you moaning when a piston has gone through the block ;)

Exactly that mate, cheers :thumbs:

I would go for a built engine Kaan .. just to be on the safe side. Titan billet main caps are a great bonus. I guess the stock ones would be fine for the power we both have in mind, but I didn't want to take the risk.

Cheers

Luc

I would go for a built engine Kaan .. just to be on the safe side. Titan billet main caps are a great bonus. I guess the stock ones would be fine for the power we both have in mind, but I didn't want to take the risk.

Cheers

Luc

Thanks Luc, better safe than sorry they say. I thought about upgrading the caps after seeing yours and decided why the engine's apart and having everything else upgraded then I may aswel, still unsure on this one for the moment.

Do L19 studs require the block and head to be machined? I might go for the H11 type that are still stronger than the standard ARP studs.

Edited by Kaan W (see edit history)

I guess L19 need some head work, but check with your engine builder to be sure.

Regarding the main caps, don't forget that if you build the engine the right way, you'll only do it once. ;)

Cheers mate i'll bare that in mind.

No the L19 do not need any head work to be fitted same as I fitted them to mine .

There must be 2 sized L19s - http://www.titanmotorsports.com/l19hekit1inf.html

Regarding this type people have said they need to be permenently oiled or they become brittle and snap is this true?

Cheers mate i'll bare that in mind.

There must be 2 sized L19s - http://www.titanmotorsports.com/l19hekit1inf.html

Regarding this type people have said they need to be permenently oiled or they become brittle and snap is this true?

Yes, should wear gloves to install them as well. There are 2 sizes, its the 1/2 inch dia bolts that will need machining work to fit.

Yes, should wear gloves to install them as well. There are 2 sizes, its the 1/2 inch dia bolts that will need machining work to fit.

Thanks that explains it then, I think half inch will be a bit extreme so I'll go standard sized.