The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My engine build (Advice and info required)

Kaan W

Hi all,

I thought I would start a thread in need of some information for my new engine build, I think the first thing to take into consideration is the transmission even though its rated beyond its 800rwhp capabilities I would like to stick around this figure but on a high boost + nitrous setting for the strip. This should allow me to run a smaller turbo to make it usable on the street without a mega lag.

I would like to see over 700rwhp for the street eventually but as im building the engine soon I need to know what to modify in order to hold up for when I go for some more power.

To start with a have a freshly rebuilt stock GTE bottom end with approx 2000 miles on it, along with a PHR race port and polished head with supertech dual valve springs, locks, retainers etc shimmed with 272 inlet and exhaust cams, this will be my base to build on.

Supporting mods I have already -

Bosch 044 fuel pump

ID 1000cc injectors

Whifbitz fuel rail

Sard FPR

Supersport coil packs

Syvecs

Whifbitz twin WG manifold

3" full decat system

4 Row intercooler

Alloy rad

Twin electric fans

Twin transmission coolers

Parts list I was planning for the block to get me started (Updated) -

ARP Head studs

ARP main studs

Billet timing belt tensioner

Welded timing gear

Upgraded Rods

Upgraded Pistons

ACL bearings

Titan crank pulley

Titan cam gears

New water pump

New oil pump

Later mods -

S363 Boostlab billet wheel turbo

Twin Walbro fuel pumps

4" Down/midpipe

Aftermarket intake

TRD differential

??

??

I think thats it for what I have in mind right now but as I think of anything i'll update the list, please tell me if theres anything I have missed or anything thats not needed.

Any help and ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by Kaan W
Parts list changed (see edit history)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Budz86

Might be worth thinking about a twin fuel pump setup that is staged by the Syvecs and possibly an uprated timing belt, although that is probably unnecessary if yours is new.

You keeping the stock pistons or have you got aftermarket ones lined up?

Might be worth thinking about a twin fuel pump setup that is staged by the Syvecs and possibly an uprated timing belt, although that is probably unnecessary if yours is new.

You keeping the stock pistons or have you got aftermarket ones lined up?

Yeah I was thinking of going twin pump but that can be changed once the engine is built and in the car, as for the timing and serpentine belts I was going to go for Power Enterprize as they match everything else in my bay.

I was hoping to keep the block with standard internals as its fairly low mileage but just add the ARP hardware for extra support.

All in all, good spec list. I would go for a 4" exhaust system (DP and MP too). Don't start twice, as the 3" will be limited around 750bhp.

What pistons / rods do you have in mind?

Im just focusing on the longblock for now Luc but I will bare that in mind, I did mention to upgrade to an after market intake manifold as for the internals I want to keep stock mate.

Change the rod bolts whilst you have the engine out. Hodge did this, and ran 850+ bhp without issues on stock internals (pistons and rods). All the ARP parts are a top choice.

ARP head studs

ARP main studs

ARP big end bolts

I meant rod bolts ;)

Roger that.

Your list looks pretty complete. What intake plenum do you have in mind?

It looks ok for as much as I can think of right now, would you say the billet timing belt tensioner and welded crank gear is necessary?

Im not sure on the plenum yet I have found a Veilside but it has no runners or TB, I will more than likely go with a greddy or simular.

Also i'll be happy with anything over 700hp so if thats achieveable with most of the parts I have then it makes for an easier build to see what needs replacing after the figure is produced.

Edited by Kaan W (see edit history)

I have a GReddy plenum, which is fine. I welded the lower runners to the plenum, although they were originally forseen to be bolt on. But I didn't want to take the risk for potential leaks. Pay attention that some plenums need their specific rails to match.

I would keep the list as it is (TB tensioner and welded CG).

I have a GReddy plenum, which is fine. I welded the lower runners to the plenum, although they were originally forseen to be bolt on. But I didn't want to take the risk for potential leaks. Pay attention that some plenums need their specific rails to match.

I would keep the list as it is (TB tensioner and welded CG).

Does the whifbitz rail and IDs fit most aftermarket plenums?

iirc they will work with one of Pauls hypertune plenums

Ok thanks, I will have to find out as I want to keep the rail and injectors I have.

Stock toyota gasket set including the head gasket will be fine, thats what Lee recommended for my build.

Yeah I think i'll stay with the stock head gasket i'll buy a whole gasket set from Toyota, thanks!

Guest Budz86
Yeah I think i'll stay with the stock head gasket i'll buy a whole gasket set from Toyota, thanks!

Think Paul does them cheaper mate, Toyota don't do a full set afaik

Think Paul does them cheaper mate, Toyota don't do a full set afaik

I ordered it from Titan in the end as it can be packaged with my transmission.

On another note can ARP head studs be reused? Because I have 2 sets one on the car and one on the new engine but I want to take the head back off to go over everything.