The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel protest idea

colsoop

I just got this sent to my email and thought i would post it up

"This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a

certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!

The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we

wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that

can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to

think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take

action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down

is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two

biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their

prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to

follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of

Esso and BP petrol buyers.

What do people think of this idea, i can see one draw back to it, dont the supermarkets but their fuel directly from the big boys (BP anyway?)

Guest chiefvinso
I always thought the government took the biggest slice, it is them we should be protesting against. But they will take no notice will they?

They would if there was a way of getting the right amount of peeps together and the right approach. I know a lot of people who dont care about the price of fuel, like the older generation (above 28!!) lol :drown:

This same idea went around at the time of the fuel protests and then again about a year and a half ago

We as a group must have a fairly large percentage of us who rarely if ever buy from anyone but Shell.(Because of Optimax) Has that hurt any other company? Probably not.

The oil companies make most of their money out of commercial sales of their products, not selling petrol to car drivers.

Guest chiefvinso
excuse me I'm 46 and I care :rolleyes:

Only joshing m8 :D

But I know some friends and family who think everything is perfect and they tend to be the ones who are not interested in cars or motoring and they happen to be from a different generation (like my nans gen 60yrsish)

Just got th same e-mail about boycotting esso and bp, it may not make any diffrence but surely we all agree that the price of fuel is just getting to be a fecking joke!I am not an oldie and i can still remember a £1 gallon never mind a £1 litre. We as a nation need to stand together on this and say get it right up you! :ecstatic:

Even if the oil companies were forced to reduce their margins on petrol it would only make a tiny difference to the consumer price. I'm always confused by these attempts to blame oil companies for petrol prices when the culprit is clearly the government. There's a calculator here http://www.abd.org.uk/fuel_tax_calculator.htm for working out how much tax you are paying. I was shocked to discover that I'm paying the equivalent of an additional 3p on income tax.

The price of fuel in the UK is a complicated business and it changes month to month as the cost of crude oil rises and falls with international demand. British drivers also pay two taxes on the petrol they buy at the pump - Fuel Duty and VAT. Of these, fuel duty remains by far the most significant, and remains the most controversial. If a litre of unleaded petrol costs 85p, 21.7p will be the production costs and profit, around 51p will be duty and 12.5p will be VAT on top of all that.

The major change in petrol taxation came under the Conservatives in 1993 with the introduction of the Fuel Price Escalator. The escalator was designed as a means both to raise money and discourage car use on environmental grounds. At the time, British fuel was the third-cheapest in Europe. It is now the most expensive. The annual fuel escalator was set in 1993 at 3% above the rate of inflation. On its introduction it added three pence to a litre of fuel and raised the tax burden on unleaded petrol to 72.8% of the total cost.

When the Conservatives left office in 1997, the escalator was at 5% and had contributed a 11.1 pence rise to the cost of unleaded fuel. Tax as a proportion of total cost stood at 76.3%. On taking office, Labour's chancellor Gordon Brown increased the fuel escalator further and put three pence onto a litre of petrol in his first Budget. That pushed taxes up to 81.5% of the total price of fuel. While duty rose by two pence a litre as part of the 2000 Budget, Gordon Brown also scrapped the fuel price escalator, saying that future increases would be decided on the basis of the "due Budget process".

While the actual amount brought in by VAT rises with increases in fuel prices and duty, it is calculated at the same 17.5% level which the present government inherited from the Conservatives.

Fuel campaigners argue that VAT should only be calculated on the cost of the fuel rather than on the fuel and the duty together. If VAT was not charged on the duty, the motorist would save around 8p per litre at September 2000 prices.

From someone on another forum.