The mkiv Supra Owners Club

are trickle chargers safe to use?

supraGZaerotop

wondering about getting one of these for the garage, from time to time i find myself not using the car as much as id like, weather or work etc and basically, sometimes, its just me being lazy but sometimes i havint started the car for up to 2 weeks and the battery runs down to 8v or so and it wont start, just clicks, i do normallly use the car at least 1 a week and so its not a problem but just seen them on ebay etc for about £5 and wondering if they are a good buy so il not have to worry about leaving the car parked up in the garage for 2 weeks etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-VOLT-TRICKLE-BATTERY-CHARGER-12V-CARAVAN-CAR-BIKE-QUAD-MOTORHOME-ETC-/300739112270?pt=UK_Recovery_Tools&hash=item460572ad4e

are they ok to use? i mean with an alarm on etc, ive got a cliffford g5 and just wondering if anyone is uses them and how they find them, can you close the bonnet

Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)

Guest Veilsidedan

+1 for ctek they are spot on. I bought mine from demon tweeks. I would go for at least the 5 stage charger because u can leave it on all year round if u like and its completely safe. Also its got a handy little wire u attach to the terminals and mount the end somewhere easy to get to like ur windscreen scuttle panel and then simply plug it in when ur home. I would be lost without mine.

sounds good thanks

+1 for ctek they are spot on. I bought mine from demon tweeks. I would go for at least the 5 stage charger because u can leave it on all year round if u like and its completely safe. Also its got a handy little wire u attach to the terminals and mount the end somewhere easy to get to like ur windscreen scuttle panel and then simply plug it in when ur home. I would be lost without mine.

• 1 month later...
Been using an Optimate charger on my car for years. Usually gets left on and forgotten about if I am not using the car.

Same here, great piece of kit and the car is plugged into it in the garage for months at a time without issue.

Get a CTEK, I've used them for years with no issues.

This. Got mine a couple a couple of years ago and it has been a life saver. Our car can regularly go a couple of months without being used. The charger is kept in a tupperware tub underneath the car as it is only IP22 rated so not ideal for open weather conditions. It does withstand frost well though.

We have the old XS 3600 but they have changed the names of them now, the new one is a 3.6 or something like that.

H.

This. Got mine a couple a couple of years ago and it has been a life saver. Our car can regularly go a couple of months without being used. The charger is kept in a tupperware tub underneath the car as it is only IP22 rated so not ideal for open weather conditions. It does withstand frost well though.

We have the old XS 3600 but they have changed the names of them now, the new one is a 3.6 or something like that.

H.

This is the one I have too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Multi-Functional-4-Stage-Battery-Charger/dp/B004TLF4PC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364803163&sr=8-2

Amazon have the 3.6 for £42.00 which is similar to what I paid a couple of years back. Whether the expensive ones are better in any way I am not sure.

I just kept away from the really cheap ones. The slower the battery re-charges the better in my book. They are now IP65 ehich is a good standard of weather proofing but it won't stand being submerged in a puddle.

H.

I bought a 5.0 as 5v really isn't that much but will obviously charge faster than the 3.6 only cost about £8 more and had 8 rather than 4 stages.

Got mine off Ebay approx £54 and it's managed everything from my bike to my diesel van.