The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flat battery and can't unlock the car

drift_bear

Just returned from offshore and found my battery is completely flat. I put a new battery in about a month ago so thought it should be ok?

Would cold weather up here recently effect the battery at all? It was started up over a week ago and was told it started fine.

Went to open the car using the key so i can get the booster pack on and jump it but nothing is happening/can't hear the locks unlocking/locking, would that be down to the cold aswell?

Last time the battery was flat (before I changed it) I was still able to lock/unlock the car with the key...

Any ideas folks?

Locks should open as that has nothing to do with the battery. perhaps they are jammed.

Try getting in via the bootlid.

imi

Will try that in the morning mate

As above locks are mechanical so no need for the battery, I would say that they have froze in the cold weather. Try heating it up and try again. Is it turning in the lock or is it solid ?

It moves freely in the lock but theres no "click" like you would get normally. Even when i watch the passenger side i can't even see it moving :think:

have you tried the passenger side too ?

Yeah and the same thing

If you are trying to unlock the drivers side (without battery) then ONLY the drivers side will unlock as the central locking system is battery operated.

:thumbs: Will try it again tomorrow with the help of de-icer but if that dosnt work i will try going through the boot. Need to get the cat up and running so i can get it into the garage to get the do luck put on!

Mine opened, ignition on, nothing. No battery to lock her. Had to leave her unlocked on the drive blocked in by another car since Sunday :(

Going to jump her tomorrow and sit keeping the revs up while the battery recharges, while the ECU is resetting itself. Fun, eh?!

Got the battery on my mate's trickle charger at the mo', but it's not recharging from dead. I didn't think it would :(

Mine opened, ignition on, nothing. No battery to lock her. Had to leave her unlocked on the drive blocked in by another car since Sunday :(

Going to jump her tomorrow and sit keeping the revs up while the battery recharges, while the ECU is resetting itself. Fun, eh?!

Got the battery on my mate's trickle charger at the mo', but it's not recharging from dead. I didn't think it would :(

Hopefully you get it sorted josh!

Alex i have had the same problem during the colder weather, WD40 done the trick on mine bud

Cheers sunny, Ill give that ago! Did you just spray it into the lock? Hopefully if the temp rises above 0 degress i might have more luck!

Yeah bud, i just sprayed in a fair amount and popped the key in and turned back and forth about 15times, although im not 100% sure if it is the lock or the mechanism that stiffens up during colder weather, failing that, get the hair dryer out :D and not for you Mohawk!!!

Yeah bud, i just sprayed in a fair amount and popped the key in and turned back and forth about 15times, although im not 100% sure if it is the lock or the mechanism that stiffens up during colder weather, failing that, get the hair dryer out :D and not for you Mohawk!!!

I just remember the swift does this too, but I just wiggle that about until it falls into place.

If it's not recharging then it's knackered as even if it's flat it should still charge. I would take it for a drive rather than sit on the drive revving it just use common sense and don't use anything electrical like lights, aircon and the main killer the heated rear windscreen.

If it's not recharging then it's knackered as even if it's flat it should still charge. I would take it for a drive rather than sit on the drive revving it just use common sense and don't use anything electrical like lights, aircon and the main killer the heated rear windscreen.

I'll have to wait until the snow has gone, as each time I've unhooked the battery, the ECU loses its memory, and needs to be driven about 10 miles at speed and in stop start traffic to relearn it all. The revs drop to 0 and it cuts out if the throttle isn't constantly pressed a bit to keep it revving. Don't know as I'll even be able to get it back on the drive after jumping it. The salt and grit bin is going to be raided tomorrow :D