• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same here.

Nice welding!!

In fairness once stainless becomes contaminated in the weld area, with carbon and other nasties, it's all but impossible to effect a lasting repair. I am not saying that welding is nice, neat nor enviable, just that whoever welds it, it'll probably crack again. I get the odd person (there are a lot of them about these days...) saying their tubular manifold hasn't cracked in five years but on probing find they've only done about 5000 miles in that period, I still say a cast manifold is probably the safest route unless your budget runs to Inconel.

In fairness once stainless becomes contaminated in the weld area, with carbon and other nasties, it's all but impossible to effect a lasting repair. I am not saying that welding is nice, neat nor enviable, just that whoever welds it, it'll probably crack again. I get the odd person (there are a lot of them about these days...) saying their tubular manifold hasn't cracked in five years but on probing find they've only done about 5000 miles in that period, I still say a cast manifold is probably the safest route unless your budget runs to Inconel.

Is there anybody selling a universal turbo bracing kit that I can modify or adapt to my supra to fit HKS T04Z Turbo?

I wrapped my mani on the Westfield if anyone has seen under the bonnet of one of those you know space is at a premium. I would say that wrapping is brilliant and reduces under hood temps but it moves the heat further down the manifold/ exhaust , not always a bad thing but can lead to failures on cheaper grades f exhaust steel. One thing I would say fr wold be wrappers, do not leave holes or gaps n the wrapp make sure it's over lapped if not this can lead to a fire by concentrating all the heat escape in small areas.

Very much doubt it, would need custom fabricating. Either hang from a crane like structure above the turbo and wastegate, or brace upwards from the base of the block. use rod ends (Rose joints).

what size do you think I would need that will fit the bolt through it?

Absolutely, the junk most commercially produced kits use, material wise, needs all the help it can get. Forget wrapping and coating, spend the £££'s making proper supports for the turbo and wastegate instead. Ensure the manifold to head flange can expand and contract on the head, with oversize bolt holes, correct washers and nuts, and a multi layer shim gasket(s). The manifold may need slitting vertically on the flange to make it into two or three short sections, that can individually move about. You can do a LOT yourself to make up for the serious shortcomings of the manufacturer. 9 month old Trust manifold on RB26, after several attempts to repair chronic cracking by what appears to be the local blacksmith

This made me spit my cup of tea out in laughter

I love your way with words Chris

http://www.chriswilson.tv/4AGEbuild/build.html shows my Toyota 4A-GE engine in build, and just one idea for a support bracket. Inconel manifold, turbo has integral wastegate, the turbo is supported from a chrome moly bracket.

http://www.newbury-house.com/F1_turbo/1.jpg

http://www.newbury-house.com/F1_turbo/2.jpg

http://www.newbury-house.com/F1_turbo/3.jpg

http://www.newbury-house.com/F1_turbo/4.jpg

Show some more ideas.

My thoughts are. Heatwraping the manifold makes it less prone to cracking as most often cracks are from to fast cooling so with hearwrap it will take longer to cool down. I would try to avoid wraping anything else unless its needed (to close to other parts) especially the downpipe as with higher temps you need bigger pipes to evacute the exhausts. Turbo blankets i have no real thoughts about heard lots of turbos fail but iam npt sure its coused by blankets or not.

I get the odd person (there are a lot of them about these days...) saying their tubular manifold hasn't cracked in five years but on probing find they've only done about 5000 miles in that period.

:wave: I'm one of them, fitted the tubular manifold back in 2004, it's still uncracked, I think I've done between 20k and 30k miles since then, I've have to check old MOTs to get an accurate figure :)

:wave: I'm one of them, fitted the tubular manifold back in 2004, it's still uncracked, I think I've done between 20k and 30k miles since then, I've have to check old MOTs to get an accurate figure :)

Have you used heat wrap?

Flexi joint from DP to Mid Pipe?

Braced Turbo?

Have you used heat wrap?

Flexi joint from DP to Mid Pipe?

Braced Turbo?

No heat wrap but there is a blanket on the turbo

Yes there is a flex pipe on the DP and it's braced on the gearbox like stock

No brace on the turbo

Boostlogic manifold, seems rather good quality.

EGTs at the collector on normal cruise is 650degC. Never really goes past 900degC under any load scenario.

• 2 months later...
my turbo housing and downpipe are both coated , ive also wrapped all of downpipe with titanium wrap and have fitted a titanium turbo blanked and my EGT has dropped dramatically !!!!

That's odd, as you've stopped heat escaping the exhaust system so the EGTs should in fact go up. Are you sure you're comparing like for like or is this a seat-of-the-pants guess? ;)

nope they dropped alot under boost etc, my EGT sensor is fitted in correct place right on 6th cylinder on the exhaust manifold and have a syvecs ecu so my guage will be showing correct temp

I can't at the moment think of a reason why they would go down when you're keeping more heat in the exhaust system :) What were your EGTs under cruise and WOT before and what are they now, this is intriguing.

under normal driving not under boost etc its showing just over 400 degrees on the toucan syvecs screen and under hard load/boost its going to 600 degrees before it was wrapped on downpipe and exhaust housing on turbo didnt have a blanket under boost it was over 750 degrees and 500 odd degrees on normal driving . im on a huge i mean huge single turbonetics turbo and only running 1.4 bar so poss its just efficient and when i increase boost to 2bar which i will be soon it might create more heat ?

Edited by smithypj (see edit history)