The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Want to go single.

gavin.starr

oooh period time ...for this week we must love xs power everyone "we love xs power" :p

Actually don't like xs power. So I'm guessing your one of these twats that has a brown nose then. I'm actually the person who helped build the car. So try and know a bit about what's going on before replying

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you manage to get it done cheaply, but properly. I'd love to go single, now I'm getting another runaround. But, I'm afraid it'll have to wait until I'm in a better paid job.

Good luck, dude :thumbs:

:yeahthat: Good call.

Going single is definitely something for which you need not only a substantial budget, but also a healthy "back-up budget". By that I mean: do all your sums to work out what everything's going to cost in a worse case scenario and then make sure you have more than that available for when you take the plunge.

When I did it, I had a number in my head of £10k. When I worked out what I wanted it was nearer £12k. The final bill, by the time I'd specced extra bits and paid to put right any unforseen hiccups along the way (inevitable, remember) it was closer to £16k... :shock: I don't have the luxury of having that kind of money to call on at a whim, but I do have a decent enough income to ensure I can afford the loan repayments, etc.

Of course, if you're doing the work yourself (and know what you're doing / get lucky) you'll save around £3-4k for labour. Still, not a cheap job to do it properly.

My point is, do your homework, make a budget and then increase the amount you have available and use the best parts you possibly can. It's worth every penny, it just takes a lot of them!! :)

Whatever you decide, good luck with it! :thumbs:

Im chuffed to think im going to have a go myself. Like i said i dont know what to put with what. But once i have everything i need im positive I can put it all on and put it together.

I know the basics for electronics and things like that so yea it will be tricky but not impossible.

:thumbs: Good attitude!

Im chuffed to think im going to have a go myself. Like i said i dont know what to put with what. But once i have everything i need im positive I can put it all on and put it together.

I know the basics for electronics and things like that so yea it will be tricky but not impossible.

I'd ask for the opinion of a reputable trader on here, someone like leeP, Ash from garage 786, Paul whiffin from whifbitz or and of the Americans (PHR, boost logic, Titan) or even RyanG of two bartuning.

Having a go yourself is brilliant, take your time and document everything, bag up nuts and bolts and take lots of photos, helped me loads when I started out doing mechanics!

Best of luck!

Ive done the maths so its easily acheavable on my wage. I havent included overtime in that either but i can easily pull in another £650 per month just by working fridays.

I think im going to buy one of the whifbitz kits new so i know that everything is mated propperly and im not going to be on the hunt for induvidual parts that could take a while so ill see what happens.

Watch this space.

Gav

Ive done the maths so its easily acheavable on my wage. I havent included overtime in that either but i can easily pull in another £650 per month just by working fridays.

I think im going to buy one of the whifbitz kits new so i know that everything is mated propperly and im not going to be on the hunt for induvidual parts that could take a while so ill see what happens.

Watch this space.

Gav

Good call :thumbs:

Buy cheap, buy twice. Simple as that.

I did thousands of very hard-driving miles on my single without a hitch, but that's because I used the proper bits and over-engineered where necessary. Doing a single conversion for £3k is a recipe for financial ruin. Terrifying prospect.

ive never met jamie price to be honest , assumptions again see like the one where you thought the car you built was good

If I remember correctly this came up for sale and I nearly jumped at the chance to have that decent NA T. The car looked solid and iirc it sold quickly!

Time to get back on topic!!!!

My opinion is you need to be prepared for spending more than you budget! Always! Because from my experience

Building a BPU TT from scratch even a 5k budget wasn't enough and I could have got one already done for that. Iv spent more than that now and still need around 1k to make it perfect!

For a single it depends on what you go for! IMO you could go single for less and it run fine for years

There's always a bit of luck in the mix lol

Not sure I agree with that. There are carefully thought-out, planned and executed builds, and then there are disasters. There's rather a lot more to building a reliable modified car than most people think.

Well just my experience. There's something's you can't control. Like how easily things go together or come apart for example. This can take up a lot of time AND money or if buying second hand that the parts will be about when you need them.

Anyway that's what I meant by luck. Things you cannot control.

I don't have a lot of luck either by the looks of things. From my experience of doing this for the first time, I would say get a car that you can build upon. It'll save you so much money it's not even funny! Then you've got the majority of parts and if you want security, strip it all down and check everything to check its prefect condition. Money saving right there. This is what I wish I'd done!

Buy cheap, buy twice. Simple as that.

I did thousands of very hard-driving miles on my single without a hitch, but that's because I used the proper bits and over-engineered where necessary. Doing a single conversion for £3k is a recipe for financial ruin. Terrifying prospect.

I could not agree more with that ,the two things I cheaped on my build ecu/clutch I am now having to buy again .

Ok time to throw my bit in..........

Go na, nail it to death with zero problems and like wise zero debt, then treat the mrs to something nice and expensive, book a nice holiday and enjoy your fat bank balance when you get home.

:)

For the price of TT autos you may as well get one of them!!!

Ok time to throw my bit in..........

Go na, nail it to death with zero problems and like wise zero debt, then treat the mrs to something nice and expensive, book a nice holiday and enjoy your fat bank balance when you get home.

:)

What makes you think you have to be in debt to build a single? also build it properly and you wont get no problems.