The mkiv Supra Owners Club

water cooling a wastegate

Pulley

ok, so im making up a custom body for my HKS 60 mm wastegate to have a water jacket

im wondering.......do i run in series with the engines cooling or shall i run a dedicated elec pump and seperate radiator for this (and possibly turbo too)

has anyone done this themselves before?, i know there are some other water cooled wastegates off the shelf now

this will be on my NA-T

No offence, but why bother?

wastegate temps can match that of turbo hotside, a watercooled turbo maintains a more stable operating temp and as such close fitting metal components that may expand at different rates work in harmony together

some high end wastegates are now incorporating water cooling for the same reasons

no offence taken, these are simply my own opinions and thoughts here and was asking for advice, opinions

For a racing application i can see a point, but not for a road car.

fair point, but then, many of the members on this forum are running mods on their "road" cars that probably will never see a track, but are running in excess of 500 bhp ,huge turbos, plenums, oversized throttle bodies and dual wastegates

i will probably be wasting my time making this for my NA-T as im only going to run 400 bhp and wont be pushing it hard untill ive got a getrag

however i do have plans to eventually track my supra so this will eventually be a beneficial mod, in the same way that non water cooled turbos work just fine, but cooled ones work better when pushed hard

Water cooled turbos only cool the centre section containing the bearings and seals. The turbine housing and wastegate are not cooled directly (unless you have found one with a water jacket around the turbine).

You say that a wastegate can get as hot as the turbo hot side, but they should be designed to work at those temps.

You won't see water cooled gates on WRC cars, and they run some serious EGT's with their restricted turbos and radical cam and ignition timing and anti lag. What they do is have wastegates made of decent material. Water cooling passes the saving on not decent material across to the end user, who has to keep the thing alive by extra plumbing on mre load on a heavily worked engine cooling system. All in all, IMHO, a real gimmick and a bit of a con. WRC wastegates are about 3K each Sterling. I would just concentrate on getting the gate sizing right, supporting it to take the weight off the manifold, and changing it if it cracks or croaks.

You won't see water cooled gates on WRC cars, and they run some serious EGT's with their restricted turbos and radical cam and ignition timing and anti lag. What they do is have wastegates made of decent material. Water cooling passes the saving on not decent material across to the end user, who has to keep the thing alive by extra plumbing on mre load on a heavily worked engine cooling system. All in all, IMHO, a real gimmick and a bit of a con. WRC wastegates are about 3K each Sterling. I would just concentrate on getting the gate sizing right, supporting it to take the weight off the manifold, and changing it if it cracks or croaks.

Cheers Chris, sounds like good sound advice, my 60mm HKS wastegate seems pretty good quality (atleast for my requirements)

And my manifold has supporting brace to the block ,flexi exhaust sections and decent grade weld and stainless material

Time will tell