The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on built transmissions.

Kaan W

Well after fitting my new built auto transmission I still havent driven the car yet as im after some information on using it correctly without damaging anything. Ive emailed the seller on numerous occasions since buying for advice but heard nothing and just wanna drive the car.

I know some people will say use just like a normal box but I wanna know if its safe to use full boost manual shifting, full boost in overdrive, how to launch etc. Just a basic do's and dont's list will be nice as ive never driven an automatic and probably ruined my last box by doing the wrong thing.

Can I have in neautral and shift into gear whilst reving the a** off it?

Thanks.

Edited by Kaan W (see edit history)

Left foot solid on the brake, Build the revs up to 2000rpm. Let your foot of the brake! :thumbs:

I heard brake boosting can be bad for the box even if its for a split second. With the new torque converter I should be able to rev to 3500rpm then let off the brake but I wouldnt be comftable doing so. Unless someone can confirm built box's can take this kind of abuse.

I heard brake boosting can be bad for the box even if its for a split second. With the new torque converter I should be able to rev to 3500rpm then let off the brake but I wouldnt be comftable doing so. Unless someone can confirm built box's can take this kind of abuse.

Dad done the brake boosting at santa pod on all his runs up the strip with no issues :) He had got a gearbox cooler which i suppose helps. Quite a few people do that technique when drag racing with the auto box. I dont see why it should be a problem with the built box, The Americans give there supra's a thrashing with the Boostlogic/Titan boxes :)

I never said how much abuse they can take :p but yes I believe his lack of mechanical sympathy and lust for power killed it.

edit: actually wasn't he pushing the limit of the box though ?

I think he had the boostlogic box whereas the Titan is suppose to take alot more...

Ok, i had a boostlogic box - rated to 700hp. I was running 825 so after sustained fast street use and a few runs at santa pod te clutches finally burnt out.

After more research i wouldnt go BL box again. You can manually shift them and im unsure exactly what they upgrade. The 2nd gear sprag is very weak, no billet.

The new SRD boxes or Titan is all i would consider. Th400 will take the power but hard to convert and awful to use anywhere but the strip

As for drag racing. You NEED a hi stall torque converter. Left foot hard on brake, build revs to as much as you can before you start moving - ideally around 3,500-4,000 then let off brake and nail it :)

Ok, i had a boostlogic box - rated to 700hp. I was running 825 so after sustained fast street use and a few runs at santa pod te clutches finally burnt out.

After more research i wouldnt go BL box again. You can manually shift them and im unsure exactly what they upgrade. The 2nd gear sprag is very weak, no billet.

The new SRD boxes or Titan is all i would consider. Th400 will take the power but hard to convert and awful to use anywhere but the strip

As for drag racing. You NEED a hi stall torque converter. Left foot hard on brake, build revs to as much as you can before you start moving - ideally around 3,500-4,000 then let off brake and nail it :)

Well all that said it seems ive made the right decision :) I got 2 SRD coolers too but am after a temp gauge just to be double sure. Im not sure if the temp can be wired to a syvecs toucan display does anyone know?

Well all that said it seems ive made the right decision :) I got 2 SRD coolers too but am after a temp gauge just to be double sure. Im not sure if the temp can be wired to a syvecs toucan display does anyone know?
Sorry for asking what's probably a dumb question, but what temperature are you trying to measure?

At present, Toucan has temperature gauges that are *labelled* for air temp, oil temp, fuel temp and coolant temp. But what they display is purely determined by what comes up the CAN datastream in the designated slot. So if you want to use the fuel temp display (for example) for something else then all you need to do is change the CAN definitions in SCal (which I can easily help you with).

Drop me a PM or email if preferred and we can discuss further.