The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra mkiv will a set of 20" wheels with 28mm offset fit?????? Help

Guest geth792

Body kits don't severely affect the handling and break at the first sign of a pothole.

Everyone to their own I suppose, you can only give advice and then sit back and watch.

H.

In that case, maybe someone should write to BMW, Merc, Aston etc. They've over looked a really serious saftey issue!

In that case, maybe someone should write to BMW, Merc, Aston etc. They've over looked a really serious saftey issue!

I think on those cars they still have a decent sidewall on the tyre, mine are 19"s and have a very short sidewall and a harsh ride, so 20s are gonna be an even shorter sidewall surely? what profile are yours Ben?

Why did those manufacturers design cars with 16" and 17" wheels and then put bigger wheels on without consideration for how it affect the car then?

I imagine those manufacturers might be better informed than the man down the pub who wants his car to look good.

If not, then I'll cancel that order for a Merc I was about to get.

H.

But they designed the car with that size wheel in mind the Supra wasn't. Also there is enough room in the BMW, merc etc arches for a half decent profile on the tyre :)

Why did those manufacturers design cars with 16" and 17" wheels and then put bigger wheels on without consideration for how it affect the car then?

I imagine those manufacturers might be better informed than the man down the pub who wants his car to look good.

If not, then I'll cancel that order for a Merc I was about to get.

H.

That's a different argument. You were assuming that suspension etc would be left standard and just some wheels wacked on. Not the case with mine, I don't know about the guy who asked the question though.

As for the side wall, again that depends on the tyre. Mine aren't stupidly low profile though.

But they designed the car with that size wheel in mind the Supra wasn't. Also there is enough room in the BMW, merc etc arches for a half decent profile on the tyre :)

Is that half decent?

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=159922&d=1351673895

That's a different argument. You were assuming that suspension etc would be left standard and just some wheels wacked on. Not the case with mine, I don't know about the guy who asked the question though.

As for the side wall, again that depends on the tyre. Mine aren't stupidly low profile though.

I would be shocked if people upgrading wheel sizes were actually going to consider the suspension/wheel bearings etc before purchasing.

Are you not catching the arches with a higher profile tyre then?

My suspension is far from standard, not just the coilovers, but adjustable mounts, control arms, traction arms etc etc.

On stock arches they did catch, I've pulled them out about an inch. They clear fine now, about 3mm of clearance with a set of new rubber. Only downside is they make my brakes look tiny!

They are 20" 9.5 rear and 8.5 front would they fit on??? Need to be sure b4 buying cheers :)

Yes they would fit, you might need the lip on the arch rolled over though. Also please take into consideration the effect large wheels have on suspension components, wheel bearings etc. If you've a high mileage wheel bearing, the 20's would soon finish it off. Also consider a custom geometry setup, it will handle like a barge without.